Saturday, 20 April 2024 »  Login
in

Hyderabadi Nicknames

And for all those who believe Hyderabad is really south of the Musi and the rest is all bunkum, here's the capital of fullhyd.com!

Moderator: The Moderator Team

Hyderabadi Nicknames

by Kulcha Hyderabadi » Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:52 pm

Adaab Hyderabadion! - We Hyderabadis are famous for giving nicknames. Giving notorious nicknames that would elicit a litany of abuse from those targeted was a favorite past time for many of us! In a way, I think, Hyderabadis are pioneers in this art! Long before the underworld (Chota Rajan, Shakeel Chikna, Arjun Gowli etc.) I am not talking about the common nicks that are associated with either the physical appearance or profession of that individual. For example: Chitela Yousuf (one with small pox marks), Kanda Jaani (one-eyed), Langda Moin (with a limp) Datra Iqbal (crooked teeth), pumpchar (puncture) waley Shareef Bhai, Kirana waley Murshad, ya phir Pan Ke Dabbey Waley Kulchey Khan etc. etc. Each and every locality, mohalla and galli used to have a few of their own. Apney muhalle ke kuch main paysh karta hoon. Yeh naam lekar ch\\\'hedney mein aur unki galiyan sun ney mein bahut mazaa ata tha! Pat bhed (shut the door) I guess this guy used to leave his door ajar! Rahmat Ali Bakri ka Bheja - To this date, I cannot figure out why he was called Bakri Ka Bheja. Naani Billi Mari - She was a poor lady and had a few cats! Obviously they would irk her by saying one of her cats had died!.... Pittal ki Bucket - She used to go around begging and had the choicest \\
Kulcha Hyderabadi

Hyderabadi Nicknames

by shaikh » Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:04 pm

Kulcha ustaad, <br> <br> mazaa agayaa naamoun ka hyd-istyle.. <br> <br> In our Muradnagar-Mehdipatnam area we used to have a \'kashmiri bandar\'. Old fair guy with rumi topi, you can imagine. Then we had a \'bada ullu\' guy. And one marwadi seth.. his name was ratan - \'ratan kanda\'. This guy was tirpat, so \'kanday ki dukan\' was mashoor.
shaikh

Hyderabadi Nicknames

by Kulcha Hyderbadi » Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:25 pm

Pittal ki bucket, she was an old hag and her choice and articulation of bad words would put even make the most hardened street urchin blush! Finally, we had \'Khader Pasha - Thank you\' Khader Pasha was the English Language teacher. \"Thank You\" got attached to him for reasons unknown to us and it remained with him until he left this world!
Kulcha Hyderbadi

Hyderabadi Nicknames

by Kulcha Hyderabadi » Sat Aug 09, 2003 2:30 pm

Arrrey!! Board ka naam was supposed to be Hyderabadi Nick Names.. Moderator bhai.. nick names ko nick kar diye aap!
Kulcha Hyderabadi

Hyderabadi Nicknames

by HariBoot » Sat Aug 09, 2003 8:00 pm

Dulhan Pasha, Chand Pasha, Gowli Nawab, Shami Sahib, Kulfi Apa, Naktay Bhai.
HariBoot

Hyderabadi Nicknames

by \"BM\" » Sun Aug 10, 2003 3:04 pm

Mansoor Tota, Javeed Gibda, Nadu Lala, Rayees Pagal, Zaki (Zakita) Fazal Duplicate, Bhir Aqeel.
\"BM\"

Hyderabadi Nicknames

by Kulcha Hyderabadi » Sun Aug 10, 2003 4:28 pm

Allah maaf karey, kaley ko hamesha \"Dambar Dabba\" bolkey pukartey hain. <br> There was a time when \"Gud\" was very very popular. In movie houses, on main streets, in the public transport buses, the most famous heckling like was \"Arey Gud - Hud Bola\". For those who are wondering what Gud is... it is the short form for \"Gudumba\" - country liquor or Desi Tharra!
Kulcha Hyderabadi

Hyderabadi Nicknames

by shaikh » Sun Aug 10, 2003 4:36 pm

Remember the \'charra\' \'quarter pin\' and so on? There was a girl in our Anwaruloom with large teeth so she was \'cheeta fight\'.
shaikh

Hyderabadi Nicknames

by Kulcha Hyderabad » Sun Aug 10, 2003 4:47 pm

Fazal Duplicate reminds me of our own \"Tandur Dilip\" He did resemble Dilip Kumar but being a poorer version and quality of Dilip, he acquired the title \"Tandur Dilip\"! And there was another guy, a graduate from BUMS (Bachelor of Unani Medicine) and he was always addressed as \"Urdu Doctor\"!! Which irked him to no end! Imagine being called \"Urdu Doctor\"!
Kulcha Hyderabad

Hyderabadi Nicknames

by BM » Sun Aug 10, 2003 9:09 pm

If someone calls out \"Arey Gud\" the reply will from that person will be \"Teri Joru Ku Lekey Ud\".
BM

Hyderabadi Nicknames

by shaikh » Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:20 pm

BM bhai,
<br>
<br>don\'t forget the KHATTMAL to cops...
shaikh

Hyderabadi Nicknames

by Shahed » Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:09 pm

Kulcha Bhai, Ab aap ke baare mein kya likhoon , Ham sab bhot naraaz hai aap se.Bhot boltou bhot naraz..
Shahed

Hyderabadi Nicknames

by Baqtiar » Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:37 pm

Baqtiar

Hyderabadi Nicknames

by bornhyderabadi » Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:37 pm

nayapaise bakerywala, naatram shastri(who used to do natraam puji during holi), koyaa srinu, guupchup satti(panipuriwala) that\'s some nick names, more as I remember.
bornhyderabadi

Hyderabadi Nicknames

by Baqtiar » Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:39 pm

Sheikh saab, <br> kyun khaja bi ko bhool gaye kya... murad nagar key...? <br> becharay ka intekhal hogaya suna mein
Baqtiar

Hyderabadi Nicknames

by Kulcha Hyderabadi » Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:57 pm

Kaikoo bhyee??? Gareeb se galti ho gayee to maaf kardeo miyan, magar naraaz nakko ho! ab zara hans ke boldeo ke aap maaf kardiyeh! \'Dekho ji aayee re hansi aayee\'
Kulcha Hyderabadi

Hyderabadi Nicknames

by shaikh » Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:02 pm

Baqtiar bhai,
<br>
Which Khaja bee are you talking about? I am not sure...
shaikh

Hyderabadi Nicknames

by Baqtiar » Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:00 pm

Arre wo murad nagar ka... jahangir ki tal ke pas rehta tha, unne ich.
Baqtiar

Hyderabadi Nicknames

by shaikh » Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:07 pm

I know Khaja Pasha. (Gosht wale) Where is Jhangir ki Taal, is that the same as Mehboob Hussaain ki dukan? Or is it the one near the nal, near Khaleel bhai (Dedh) or the one near old Rahmat Ali\'s house?? There are three taals in that area, right? <br> Are you saying Khaja bhai or Khaja bee. <br> because I know one old Khaja bee (aurat) near Peer Pasha ki Dewadi. <br> In any case I have to say \'inna lillah\' <br> let me know...
shaikh

Hyderabadi Nicknames

by shaikh » Sat Aug 16, 2003 1:42 pm

Baqtiar bhai,
<br>
<br>aap zara bhul gai waisa dikhraa mereko.
shaikh

Hyderabadi Nicknames

by BM » Sat Aug 16, 2003 4:35 pm

(1) Pasha Chota Bheja (inku baat zaara der sey samaj mein aati thi). (2) Mehmoud Bel Ka Mout (Ek din yeh sahib baher sadak per peshab ker rahey they inka peshab itni door tak gaya aur ek manchaley ney inka naam rak diya - Bel Ka Mout). (3) Rahim Jangla Kabooter (yeh sahib jis laRki ko bhi dekhey fida ho jatey they usper (4) Muzaffer Kabooter (inko kabooter palney ka bahot shouk tha). (5) Mehmoud Duggi (yeh sahib cricket kheltey huwey jab batting kertey toh akser 2 run letey they. (6) Abbas Khan Lehri.
BM

Hyderabadi Nicknames

by Tappebaz » Sat Aug 16, 2003 7:14 pm

Are miya tum sab ki baatain sunke merku bhi yaad ara... <br> Hamare ghar ke paas ek talu-chat ki dukan thi (bald head). Uske paas se andee (eggs) late the.
Tappebaz

Hyderabadi Nicknames

by HALLim » Sat Aug 16, 2003 7:16 pm

My grandfather makes burqas in the old city and he is called the \"Burke wale Kaka!\". He has no idea what Internet is and that he is being mentioned...
HALLim

Hyderabadi Nicknames

by Baqtiar » Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:25 pm

Arrey bhooley nai Sheikh bhai.. kaisa bhultey..
<br>wo kya hai na..bhut din hove na India jakey tou kya hai zara raastey aur gharaon mein cunfusion rehta..
<br>
<br>mein Khaja bee..(murad shad dooti ki darga hai na) wahan se undar ek galli jati mehdipatnam..ko wahan pe khuttey wala liyaqat tha dekho... unne bhooot sata ta tha usko..
<br>waise aisli naam (naseem bhai) tha usko khaja bee pukartey thea..
Baqtiar

Hyderabadi Nicknames

by Baqtiar » Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:31 pm

Waise aur thoday... Nick names sunaton Hyderabad ke...
<br>
<br>1.Peekha chila.
<br>2.Kanda salim.
<br>3.teen dalli.
<br>4.Khali kutti.
<br>5.sukhe mamu.
<br>6.Tirpat pasha.
<br>7.Moin khilli.(he used to play khilli danda very well)
Baqtiar

Next         

Return to Dakhni-Mehfil - The Old World Hyderabad