Thursday, 28 March 2024 »  Login
in

10 ways to tell IT revolution is over in Hyderabad

Some of the best local talent on... everything! Check out the city's best writers here, as they take on the shackles!

Moderator: The Moderator Team

by vivek of themavericks...remember!! » Fri Sep 13, 2002 1:50 am

No No i am not a pessimist and i love hyderabad,but i wanna be pragmatic and i have madeup my mind to comeout with only \"top10\'s\" in this board.I won\'t be political either.So heres \"my top10 series 3\" which i expect to get good response for,much like what i got for my previous three boards.Just like there is silence after a storm and only the strongest of the stuff remains,I expect only those with deep pockets,silly optimism or those with sustainabilty to remain as far as the IT revolution goes.So here is my 10 best ways to say that IT revolution is all over in Hyderabad.
(1)All city based portals close down and only fullhyd.com remains - Then has plans for \"fullindia.com\" and \" fullplanet.com\" (ambitious you\'ll say...i say could be and i also say i don`t have any stake in fullhyd!)
(2)Our CM shouted \"IT..IT\" earlier and now he shouts ITES and BPO.So we have all call centers sprouting allover and you see herds of well dressed girls going home in scooty at 4am about 3 Hrs past all discos being closed..you may then think they are all call center employees ending their work and hence end of IT revolution.
(3)large corporates start their backoffice operations in Hyderabad.Software companies concentrate on bug fixing,patch work activies rather than end to end product developement.India has already started to become global back office dump-yard and if going by this rate as our CM has mentioned \" Andhra Pradesh is India\'s most cost effective place for Business process outsourcing\" Its all over as far as Information technology goes in Hyderabad.
(4)Andhra Pradesh in now the proud state with India\'s highest number infected with AIDS ( I have documental evidence).Spread of AIDS due to prositution is also the highest in Andhrapradesh.The moment world bank and our CM takes this seriously,all the funds would be diverted there.Its all over for Hyderabad\'s IT
(5)The moment investors realise that AP harbours the highest price for city buse fares,petrol and LPG gas cylinder.They would know the intensity of mismanagement thats prevailing and hence the inabilty to service debt.Then investments would go down(thats whats happening) so now new software companies.Its then - all over for Hyderabad\'s IT.
(6)When AP with one of the largest factories of engineers in India has seen GRE crazy students go to United States of Andraites (Read USA) under the assumption that either they would personaly return or be resposible for some forex and that doesnot happen(that won`t also).They then realise that all the Hyderabad;s engineers are actually happily married and settled in USA\'s chikkadpally(Also known as New Jersey) sporting a fake accent.All our incumbent software professionals would have grown old and now new manpower.Its then - all over for Hyderabad\'s IT.
(7)With now Bill Gates not directly associated with Microsoft and Bill Clinton just an ordinary guy our CM cannot apply his PR skills on any of the Bills.Mr George Bush cannot be approached at the moment as their economy is in shambles.We look towards singapore...but no wait..even they are in shamble..so we look towards europe..but wait again..they don\'t like our face and europeans don`t want asians to work there.so where to go to in search for Foregn investments?.Nowhere,hence its all over for Hyderabad\'s IT.
(8)frachisee centers for aptech and NIIT closing down and training institutes that started 2 years age are today selling soaps and burgers.Its then - all over for Hyderabad\'s IT
(9)Companies getting over the 7 year tax holiday to achive sustainabilty and then the 8th year closing as there is no working capital left after paying tax.Its then its all over for Hyderabad
(10)If the proportion of hardliners who have been thinking that \"there was no such thing called the IT revelution in Hyderabad,it never happened for it to end\" ,increases by 1%.It is certainly all over for Hyderabad\'s Information technology.ITS A LONG ONE I KNOW,IT COMESOUT OF MY RESEARCH AND I AM READY TO PLACE A BET THAT WHEN INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY REALLY STOPS CREATING BUZZ IN HYDERABAD,IT HAS TO BE BECAUSE OF ONE OF MORE THE ABOVE MENTIONED REASONS.
vivek of themavericks...remember!!

by vivek of themavericks...remember!! » Fri Sep 13, 2002 1:52 am

And if you think a hardliner like me is treat to any revolution in Hyderabad..give me a days prior notice about it at vivek@themavericks.net

by vivek of themavericks...remember!! » Fri Sep 13, 2002 1:57 am

comming up \" 10ways to make sure hyderabad resemble singapore\"

by Raak » Fri Sep 13, 2002 2:09 am

Whoever you are you took a lot of pain to type in all the info!!
Raak

by V » Fri Sep 13, 2002 10:11 am

yaaro, u have written a lot and forgotten 1 thing. The IT revolution is over not only in Hyd, its over all over the big round world!
Lets hope it returns to 25% of the past.
V

by Kulcha Hyderabadi » Fri Sep 13, 2002 7:12 pm

Vivek, waiting for your next posting about Singapore. BTW, is it Hyderabad only or other places too are going down in IT business? If the business or the revolution has reached a saturation point, then its okay. But if we are losing on account of some other factors, its sad.
Kulcha Hyderabadi

by vivek of themavericks...remember!! » Fri Sep 13, 2002 7:26 pm

Its not just Hyderabad i mean how can it be.Its a global melt down,there is actually an interesting sequence of events that led to recession but its too long for this board(if you are intested lemme know).Basically,recession is a part of the market cycle and its nothing out of the ordinary and in each recession one or more sectors take the hit.This time it was IT and telecom.The problem with Hyderabad was we went crazy over Information Technology and started our \"IT pursuit\" when the IT was at its peak all over the world and when hyderabad\'s IT was about to reach its peak,there was a global melt down!.Its just bad timing,let it go.Now we have three things that Hyderabad can focus on 1.ITES(infotech enabled services) 2.BPO (Business process outsourcing) and 3.Bio-tech,this is where we should strive to achive some sustainable growth.

by seetharam » Fri Sep 13, 2002 7:50 pm

My dear learned friend, i appreciate your patience to type such a marathon message. i would like to put my view points for your \"my top10 series 3\". 1) It is not just city based portals that were closed, but infact, significant amount of portals around the world have closed. \"that is why it was said as dotcom bubble is burst\". Hence, your point no.1 is not exclusive to Hyd. 2) IT revolution is not limited to software, hardware etc.. IT is much broader word which includes ITES and BPO. This should answer your point 2. 3)Your point 3 is a circumvent of point 2. 4)My dear friend, how can you equate the number of AIDS victims with IT revolution. World Bank is not an institution to promote IT. You should understand its functions. 5)I partially agree with point number 5, but i guess, the term mismanagement is misplaced and out of context. 6)People might go and settle in USA, but there is no dearth of Engineers in India now, You can still find many in nook and corner of our country. 7)Bill Gates and Bill clinton are not the creators of IT revolution in Hyderabad.8) Again in your point 8, you are assuming IT as just software industry, Think in broader perspective.. buddy. 9)Companies will not survive just because they are not tax for 7 years. tax paying is only a part if you look at all facets of business. 10)Hyderabad came from no where to 4th position in the country in terms of IT exports is concerned. This helps you in augmenting your statistical ken. I know, you have researched and put forth your points, but, alas, you have collected wrong data.
Good luck next time buddy.
seetharam

by seetharam » Fri Sep 13, 2002 7:55 pm

You are contradicting your own dictum. You said \"The problem with Hyderabad was we went crazy over Information Technology and started our IT pursuit\" . And you also said we should go after ITES,BPO and BIO-Tech. is it not self contradiction
seetharam

by vivek of themavericks...remember!! » Fri Sep 13, 2002 8:34 pm

Hello sir,Thanks for providing the best reply as yet.It was apt and awakening.You seem to be in the business and i wish to state that i am student.My domain of knowledge is as per what i read,comprehend and analyse.I also agree that some of my points where thin but i did try to make sure that each of my points would zero down to something tangible when extrapolated.My idea of incorporating AIDS in this board was to try and project the extent of damage that has happened as government has been negelecting the very seriosness of the issue and if there was some effort done,its was diluted due to the vested interests of the peole who are in the system.I have seen this myself.Millions of dollars provided by institutions like worldbank have noteven been putto use properly or as claimed and the results are not even 20% of what was intended.I then released the these international funding sources have not realised the fact that government is lacking the skill of prioritization ( i think) and when this happens i am sure govt. would face serious issues to sustain the alter ego of Hyderabad - cyberabad.I also wish to state that i was not localising information technology to software,but the predominance of software in IT would definetly serve as a performance indicator for the entire Info tech sector.The dust is settling as far as IT goes and those with proper strategy and a realistic vision are only left out.And as far as your last line goes \" better luck next time\"...thanks i need that!.

by vivek of themavericks...remember!! » Fri Sep 13, 2002 8:40 pm

Ya i does appear so in one prespective but i also stated that its the problem with the timing.Had we been been a bit futuristic (which would have been a possibility as we had the most tech. savvy CM),i guess we would done better in the IT front.I now say that we should pursue more arenas where there would be sustainalble growth at a state level,not just restricted to the firm or the corporate.Hence ITES and BPO.I am sure you agree that we are not much into end to end product developement.

by seetharam » Fri Sep 13, 2002 8:57 pm

Yes, i do agree. but we cannot count chickens before they were hatched. All the allied services, you mentioned are still in its embryonic stage. definitely hyderabad is positioned to take the lion\'s share. Will it go for a killer punch is yet to be seen
seetharam

by vivek of themavericks...remember!! » Fri Sep 13, 2002 9:07 pm

I guess you are online!,anyway let me short this time getting lions share would involve good amount planning.From governments side it has to provide the best of infrastructure and ambience.We fortunately have good climate and if i remember CM\'s intiative of planting saplings are actually reducing the days temperature and estimates suggest Hyderabad might become the next bangalore in terms of climate.Well,thats nature.But, from our side we can grab the lion\'s share if we remain in a position to provide all it needs for any type of sector to flurish cheaper land,water and incentives that would attract FDI\'s and corporations to setup bases here.I say,pick one sector and remain on that untill we become the best.We can,it needs focus.I would also love to see a day when hyderabad stock exhange activities are also taken seriously just like the calcutta stock exchange.

by seetharam » Fri Sep 13, 2002 9:12 pm

I guess you might be a student of MBA or CA. Well, in ITES we stood first in the previous year in terms of exports. Bioinformatics is in nascent stage. already TCS has planned to set up its consultancy division at madhapur, which augurs good for the future. Only stiff competition for this comes from B\'lore, primarily because of its established IT infrastructure. Our CM already got the initiatives in Bioinformatics and has plans of setting up institute of its kind, which is again a step help in marching ahead. hope everything goes at the right direction
seetharam

by vivek of themavericks...remember!! » Fri Sep 13, 2002 9:24 pm

Bulls eye Mr seetharam i am a student of management in the administrative staff college of india.I am aware of those statistics you mentioned(well not the exact same but similar).That is the reason i say ITES would be good for us.Also we should also grab some major share in the R&D sector esply since the process patent would be applied from 2005(i think) pharmacuiticals would the best market to grab.We have plenty of land to spare for technology and research parks.Lets see what happens,i still have confidence in our state government allthough some departments are bankrupt!.The thing i also found worth a mention was that today entire india is talking stuff related to service and service..what about manufacturing??.Also all or most of our components of the service sectors are linked to foreign markets ( financial and otherwise).When they go down we would be ruined.We almost saw one episode of it

by seetharam » Fri Sep 13, 2002 9:29 pm

Hope everything happens to our liking, i am leaving for the day, bye
seetharam

by Abhik Roy » Fri Sep 13, 2002 9:37 pm

well vivek, i have a ddifferent kind of comment to make. while i was reading that, i was concentrating on the wreiting style. u have a shakespearian influence. remember the spech of friends romans and countrymen......... it said \"brutus is an honourable man\" after each sentence. hats up u continued the same. except that u said \"all over for Hyderabad\'s IT\". i feel good to know a man like u. From Abhik Roy of Administrative Staff College of India, Hyderabad
Abhik Roy

by laskar_sikandrabadi » Fri Sep 13, 2002 11:17 pm

Vivek,
You started with Hyd. IT\'s obituary, then went on analysing the pros and cons of it and suggested methods of redemption.
Some obersvations, Market cycles? which ones? Global or local? Does the Indian market react to market cycles?
There are already established R&D and manufacturing facilities in and around Hyd. Where do they stand in quality production and profits thereof?
laskar_sikandrabadi

by vivek of themavericks...remember!! » Sat Sep 14, 2002 12:42 am

Mr Lashkar By market cycle i mean global because i guess there is no such concept called market cycle relating to the local context.Indian markets have been sensitive to the events in the global front which is a welcome signs that the markets are maturing.There has be a little more involvement in the derivatives segments thats all.There is more to it but since this is not a financial board,i choose not to talk more!.You may contact me for more on this.As far as R and D goes we do have world class facilities like Dr reddy Labs,CCMB et al.. all i said was that we need more like these.They are cost centers so they don`t have profits for the company,however they do make the companu realise profits in the long run if something comes out.This is true particularly for the pharma sector.

by dokado » Sun Sep 15, 2002 1:33 pm

I think you people are wasting time
argument\'s and advises when it doesn’t affect our
Society and life
dokado

by Vamsee » Sun Sep 15, 2002 5:21 pm

Well, vivek( of the mavericks, remember - what\'s that?) I have to appreciate the pains you took to assimilate all that data, but let me tell you one thing - all this IT\'s over - oh God Java\'s dead - is the gab of losers. First of all, a lot of people didn\'t see what IT really is. They thought it\'s a really fancy of making money. You learn some sorry-ass language like VB, put in your application at a body shopper, there you go to America. But people, IT is not that. Let\'s say, it\'s a career choice. It\'s for keeps. You should not choose your career for what it pays, but how much it fulfils you. The day you make a career decision according to the pay, you are on the wrong track, pal. Unfortunately, too many people did it and now are paying for that. Programming or any IT realted work needs a special affinity for computers and how they work. You gotta think of programming as a hobby, not a job. Unless people make that attitude shift, all these \\
Vamsee

by vivek of themavericks » Mon Sep 16, 2002 1:11 am

No comments on this as the messages below this have been assumed to contain more than just software in the infotech sector.
vivek of themavericks

Return to Creativity, Inc.