Saturday, 20 April 2024 »  Login
in

10 best ways to praise India Incorporated

Some of the best local talent on... everything! Check out the city's best writers here, as they take on the shackles!

Moderator: The Moderator Team

by vivek of themavericks...remember!! » Sat Oct 19, 2002 2:35 pm

Okay, thanks for all the mails. This week, I wanted to choose some topic which speaks of optimism rather than those \"not\" intended cynical topics. I have kept all those suggestions in view suggested by you all - however my intention is to imbibe a sense of pragmatic thought process so as to evaluate all that we see, read and hear in a better way. Thanks for your suggestions. So let\'s look at the top 10 reasons why one should praise India in the business, economic and financial front.
<br><br>
Reason 1 - The relatively younger India has bulk of the population in the productive age group of 19 to 35 (WHO). By 2005 we would be having only 17% of our population of age 60+ leaving over 41% in the productive age group. This is in contrast with all the aging developing nations, which by the same time would have as much as 40% in the non productive age group. This advantage added to the highly skilled and cheaper intellectual work forces would make India the best sourcing destination in the world.<br>Reason 2 - Newer stable areas of growth - Unlike the infotech boom, India has identified the business of IT enabled process outsourcing as the newer growth arena. This is evident as the latest cry in the markets is \"sell PSU and buy BPO\". With BPOs churning out impressive toplines, BPO is here to stay and own (perhaps). Why? The reason is a derivative of \'reason 1\'.<br>Reason 3 - As one school of thought suggests BPO might just be another bubble waiting to blow, we still have another stronger area of sustained growth - Pharma and Bio-Tech. With the new patent regime from 2005, the entire pharama sector would be mammoth $25bn aimed at innovative R&D and not copying formulations or running the expired patent drug factory! This is further expected to throw open a whopping 1.5 lakh high-end job opportunities. <br>Reason 4 - Mature capital markets - Although our markets are tiny in terms of volumes traded, we still have gathered maturity in terms of trading and stability. How? Well, a blow like the S&P downgrade of the sovereign domestic currency would have ruined the Pakistan markets, but we have survived with a dip so insignificant that any FII offloading an index stock would cause more damage! <br>Reason 5 - Corporatization - I don\'t know how to convince you all in this, but just give it a thought. Indian industry was primarily dominated by family owned business houses. The Ambanis, Goenkas, Rahejas, Birlas and Tata\'s. They were the major lobby panels for government policies. But today Indian industry has been successful in breaking that mould, and the Tatas are actually ready for a replacement of a \"Non-Tata CEO\" in place of Ratan Tata by 2005! This brings in better accountability if not better management. <br>Reason 6 - Disinvestment - This is a major issue which Indira Gandhi reversed in her regime. Finally the Indian public is educated enough to understand the need to divest. Which means, it now knows what the govt should and should not do. Also, the governement knows that it should no longer manage. All the loss making PSUs would now be turned profit centers by the strategic buyers a la Modern Bakeries by HLL. <br>Reason 7 - Reduction in agri-dependency - This is a major breakthrough, monsoons being as unpredictable as women. Indian dependency on agri based productions and agricultural yeild has reduced substantially. The decrease in weightage has been 17%(NIC.IN), the software and \"service\" exports have ensured enough FoRex to stabilise (like this year), and hence a failure in monsoons would not pinch much.<br>Reason 8 - Telecom business for the customer - the GSM based telecom market has become so competitive that slashing rates has become a mundane affair! Added to that, CDMA-WiLL based communication firms would bleed the cell operators to death. So rate slashes are inevitable, and who benefits? YOU! Thanks - Government of India. <br> Reason 9 - The entertainment industry - After granting industry status to the corpus heavy Indian film industry, a formal recognition was the only thing required to this world\'s largest film factory. Today we do have MIRAMAX, 20th Cent Fox and Touchstone doing some heavy duty productions in our Bollywood. <br>Reason 10 - Despite an exodus to the United States of Andharites and place where \"job and pay is equivalent to skills\", despite every state in India being like a mini country, despite a fall in the female/male ratio and despite 33% living below poverty line, India has grown faster than any other nation in the whole world in terms of GDP.<br><br>The political - officialdom has now come to terms of interconnectivity of economies and started to leverage powers and divert the same to regulate. The insurance sector, bio-tech, infotech, outsourcing, R&D centers... you name it and we have it, all being set up by the best in the world. It does boil when someone still blames India of being backward. I say those who want to migrate should do so, even if it means losing talent. It\'s better to have second grade dedicated workers to half hearted highly skilled personnel. I love my country for what it has been through. Do you?
vivek of themavericks...remember!!

by seetharam » Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:21 am

your seem to bring your eternal optimism in the 10 reasons you quoted, which i appreciate. I also appreciate your unflappable and blatant patriotism at the end of the message.
seetharam

by vivek of themavericks...remember!! » Mon Oct 21, 2002 11:59 am

My intention was not to be optimist or any inclination of that sort. In fact my previous boards have been cynical to a large extent. It\'s industry that drives the economy, hence the need was to evaluate as a common informed citizen the developements of india which are worth appreciating. Therefore, I have put down the 10 best reasons which I felt are capable enough to bring in the moolah required to build reserves.

by neeraj » Mon Oct 21, 2002 2:02 pm

I wish vivek that you become the next industry/commerce minister - you can certainly do wonders...
neeraj

by vivek of themavericks...remember!! » Mon Oct 21, 2002 3:04 pm

ha ha ha ,thanks for the compliment(hope no sarcasm in it!),well you see those are the guys who generate statistics for people like to comprehend.I depend on secondary data to substantiate my points,what else can i do?i am just a student.thanks again buddy

Return to Creativity, Inc.