Friday, 29 March 2024 »  Login
in

The 10 dumbest advertisements

Some of the best local talent on... everything! Check out the city's best writers here, as they take on the shackles!

Moderator: The Moderator Team

by vivek of themavericks » Fri Nov 08, 2002 1:31 pm

I am a bit free, hence I thought like putting my thinking cap on a little more. There\’s little we can do to avoid ads. I am quite good at picking up bad apples, but the problem is I taste those bad apples and tell others how bad they are. Some say I think a lot - if it makes your life a bit simpler, I shall eat bad apples and some anti-constipation pills. I present to you the 10 worst ads made which were either misleading or downright absurd. <br><br>
Ad 1 - HLL Sunsilk - This ad shows three girls singing a song, the meaning which even they do not know. Check it out, it\’s a shampoo ad that says "Baal, ghane ghane, upar neeche, aage peeche". So you have bushy hair "up down, front and back". Don't use this product, please!! <br>
Ad 2 - Standard Chartered - The ad which says "Hoga Hoga". Fiancée watches a marriage procession and looks at her wouldbe hubby who nods "Hoga Hoga", same with the son looking at his dad for a new car. Stanchart apparently has one of the highest service charges and interests in the market. So her hubby is gonna drown in ruthless EMIs (wo bhi hoga!). Hence, the bank should have the following punchline. Believe in something and we believe in YOU (that you would drown in repayments while your spouse has fun, and keep paying interest for the rest of your life - Hoga Hoga!!!) <br>
Ad 3 - Premium Black ("apple juice") - A pathetic surrogate ad gone wonky. Firstly, we all know its not an "apple juice", and secondly what was the point the company wanted to convey? That if you consume this fake apple juice, you might find high society hookers which would make your fly open up?? Give me a break. <br>
Ad 4 - ICICI Prudential - Nice looking ad, but misleading. The ad assures good returns on your investment. Yup, good returns if everything goes well. Please take it for granted - No Mutual Fund promises returns. It\’s still risky. UTI promised and went bankrupt. All these retirement solutions by ICICI should be taken with a pinch of salt.<br>
Ad 5 - Santro Zip Drive - Nope, Santro Zip does not turn as well as they show in the ads. I mean, the turning is nowhere near what is being shown.<br>
Ad 6 - Price Phinyle - The lady comes home after shopping, husband who is busy reading the newspaper upside down asks, "Did you get prince Phynile? Wife says, "Yes, I did," and husband smiles as if either he is gonna drink it or starts mopping the floor while the wife has a nap. Shut up!! <br>
Ad 7 - Intel Pentium IV processor - The little boy is shown doing his project by logging on to Google and copying some pictures and printing them and giving it to his teacher. So the point is, let you classmates slog their ass while you wackoff copyrighted stuff and print with the new Intel IV processor. Let me tell you, the processor has nothing much to do with your surfing speed. It\’s the RAM that counts. <br>
Ad 7 - Compaq Presario - The one with "Oh, what a coincidence you are wearing green" and the dumb guy changes the color of the CPU! This ad does not talk anything about the product. It\’s another way to maintain a girlfriend by spending 50,000 bucks. <br>
Ad 8 - Peter England shirts - The one where Deepika would be meeting London-returned Ravi and she has coffee with Ravi part – II. Where does the shirt come in here? Same is the case with Parx and Van Heusen. None of the ads talks of the product. <br>
Ad 9 - Livon Hair Smoothener - The ad says that Livon should be applied while your hair is wet after bath (for women only). This is garbage talk. There is no change in your hair. Somewhat on the line of detergents that promise to remove stains, but doesn\'t work that way. <br>
Ad 10 - Zenith Computers (print) - Full page ads of PCs with latest configuration at unbelievable rates. Read the fine print, go the dealer, add his tax and add all of em, then add few thousand more and buy a HP Brio! <br><br>
I know this was a dumb board, as ads in general are better presented then movies. But the point is that some very great looking ads are extremely misleading, just as the hair texture shown by all those girls who jump around in every shampoo ad.
vivek of themavericks

by Naxalite » Fri Nov 08, 2002 7:40 pm

Hey I can guess ur some sort of Management graduate. Then what u wanna say about the recent one Hutch did u like it.
***Diamond is nothing but the coal that did well under pressure***
Naxalite

by vivek of themavericks » Sat Nov 09, 2002 12:28 am

Not some sort of, I am a management graduate. Well, hutch went on a very innovative strategy i would say, which did nothing but hoardings and pamplets. But, for those who knew that company could guess it was Hutch with \" Hi\". It would have proven cheaper for them to have this kind of propaganda rather than have star Ads. Basically a good set of Ad campaign.
http://www.wiredbeats.com - Download Attitude for Free!

How will it end?
vivek of themavericks

by neeraj » Sat Nov 09, 2002 10:45 am

vivek, good show it was indeed very nice., so much you have concived see the ad, look forward for more 10\'s from your side buddy... for a change thank god no cut and paste in the board.... like others ..

keep us busy also...
neeraj

by popesmokesdope » Sat Nov 09, 2002 8:18 pm

worst ad no 11: britannia ad with navjot\"sherry\"sidhu...the worstest ad I have ever come across in the recent past. britannia khao..south africa jhao..yeah like it is gonna be soo simple! I mean whats he doing there hamming like a retard?? its bad enuff he is torturing us with his commntry...and now he is spooking me with these ads. *ting ting ta ting*
popesmokesdope

by seetharam » Sun Nov 10, 2002 12:15 am

How many of the 10 products you have purchased or seen others purchased extensively? The fact that you remembered that many and used the concept of \"Word of Mouth\" itself means the ad agency gained what it is supposed to gain. I know your Word of mouth this time is in negative connotation, but, i apologize for being uptight that you lacked the punch to convince the readers. Though, i know it is not your intention. Nevertheless, i appreciate your drive and enthusiam to post such messages and i wish you could continue beyond your academic career
seetharam

by Kishore » Mon Nov 11, 2002 10:59 pm

Vivek, most ads are not targeted at everyone watching them - they are targeted only at people looking to buy a product in that category at that time or sometime in the future. A motorcycle ad will be seen in one way by someone who has no intention of buying a bike, and in another way by someone who is about to or at least aspires to. Ads targeted at potential buyers may sometimes look stupid to others, but that\'s no way of judging their effectiveness. The only way to measure the effectiveness of an ad is, when you are going to buy a product of that category, do you consider that brand favorably. Sunsilk\'s ad may seem stupid to you, but the fact still is that when a person is at a retail store looking to buy shampoo, what comes to her mind when she sees a Sunsilk sachet is the shiny and smooth-flowing hair shown in the ad. She most likely does not even remember the rest of the ad. At that point, she _wants_ to believe everything that the ad says, since she is putting her money in it now - and so the louder that the ad proclaims the merits of the product, the better she feels. She cares a damn for creativity. The battle is won.
Kishore

by vivek of themavericks » Tue Nov 12, 2002 9:45 am

Fine Kishore, I do know the who attempt is to gather mind share. But, my point was to put forward Ads that are mis-leading or those which proclaim which would not be true under normal circumstances. My discription of the standard chartered Ad was one such attempt to state that, nothing is so hunky -dory with they show. Theres more to it that then the Ad says. Sunsilk Ads show women with Hair too smooth to believe, all to trap the gullible and confused customer.

How will it end?
vivek of themavericks

by vivek of themavericks » Tue Nov 12, 2002 10:40 am

I am sorry for the bad english, i was in a bit of a hurry!

How will it end?
vivek of themavericks

by Sai Kumar » Tue Nov 12, 2002 11:50 am

Hi! to all....good board....keep up the good work
Sai Kumar

by vivek of themavericks » Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:56 pm

Thanks Sai. There are products that are difficult to advertise like condoms. The bulk of men watch TV with thier families during primetime. So, this is the best time to advertise such products, but how to do you do that when kids are also watching. Hence, one might find indirect Ads of condoms. I have no dispute with these, but what i stress upon is Ads of products which everyone uses are mis-leading to the extent that audience gets carried away. If the product is good, then it clicks in the market. Else, the sales drop and the whole positioning of the products appears shaky. For ex - Raymonds and Mahindra Bolero, while the former never adverstised about the fabric per se, they conveyed an attitude that Raymond projected - the sense of a complete man. Eventually buyers could\'nt digest it and today Raymond has changed its strategy - the Ad with the baby feeling the soft fabric. Bolero by M&M also had identity crisis, buyers did not know what this jeep did and why should they buy it, but the proper positioning of Scorpio has the cash registers ringing. This kind of positioning and re-working works for products which i mentioned, but the FMCG guys take all of us for a ride and pumping in ideas to increase their mindshare.

How will it end?
vivek of themavericks

by vegmanjuria » Sun Nov 17, 2002 1:48 pm

That Peter England ad...well Deepika falls for the guy because he looks impressive in that Peter England shirt...hmmm isnt that obvious...
vegmanjuria

by vegmanjuria » Sun Nov 17, 2002 1:52 pm

Come to think of it...the fact that somebody ACTUALLY remembers all these ads long after switching off the TV shows the ads managed to serve the purpose...so technically speaking these 10 dumb ads shld be in the \'10 smartest ads\' for the simple reason that they have wot advertisers calls \'top of the mind\' recall value...ahem ahem sorry for the jargon..I happened to vaguely kinda attempted a course in advertising
vegmanjuria

by Farhan » Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:58 pm

yup! Ad agencies creating a Ad to be persuasive, but turns out to be \"unbelievable\" sometimes! Nothing to be serious dude, thats called Advertising, all are creative ideas just to present a Ad better and catch audience attention. I have seen a Ad of a shaving foam showing a Taliban wearing a turban with long black beard holding a \"Klashinkov\" spreading shaving foam on his black beard...what do you say??
Farhan

by vivek of themavericks » Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:54 pm

Again its a serious attempt to claim more of mind share. What brand does one think of, when he goes to buy a product. Many Ads are produced to gain this vital \'space\' in the consumer\'s mind.

How will it end?
vivek of themavericks

by vivek of themavericks » Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:55 pm

Thanks man, its encouraging!

How will it end?
vivek of themavericks

by vivek of themavericks » Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:58 pm

Correction, the Ad doesnot show the woman falling for deepak.It just show the way she avoids the other Deepak from london.now, where does the shirt come here!.If now, any one come with an arguement that, the very fact we are discussing the peter england so much has made the Ad serve its purpose, i would say yes, the Ad worked but still i am not clear what the product does!

How will it end?
vivek of themavericks

by vivek of themavericks » Thu Nov 21, 2002 5:00 pm

Yes, all the Ads worked with me. It has gained the mind share.But, what good does it do if know about a brand and not know how good is the product along with the contemporaries?

How will it end?
vivek of themavericks

by Guest » Fri Dec 13, 2002 11:20 pm

To vivek........ and all the other maverick,

I haven\'t seen all the ads (partly because I live in Canada), but yes as someone very closely associated with the advertising industry, i can say just this, from a layman\'s point of view.

Advertising is essentially about selling products (and dreams). Creativity can sometimes go overboard, and ads sometimes look like a pile of dog\'s droppings. Yes there is a subtle difference between selling genuine stuff and peddling dreams (which will remain dreams).

I switch on the Telly at midnight here and pronto !..... the next thing I see ads about \"how to place classified ads in the newspaper and become a millionaire \" or the Copper ring that cna change your health dramatically (and make you poorer by just about $ 49.99 plus shipping and handling).

Or this group discussion about \"male enlargement\" ..Size does matter says one of the woman in the panel as she blushes and says that it would be the greatest thing to see man \"endowed so well\". Medicallly it is impossible to enlarge that part of the human anotomy, and yet people get away with all of this.

Now if you ask why.....it is that small print which says \" Results typical.your results may be different\"

Need I say more about false advertising? If you want to discuss more about advertising in india or abroad, you are welcome to write to me at Sthiru18@yahoo.com.

Return to Creativity, Inc.