Sunday, 28 April 2024 »  Login
in

Perfectspeak - Volume 1

Some of the best local talent on... everything! Check out the city's best writers here, as they take on the shackles!

Moderator: The Moderator Team

by Habitual Perfectionist » Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:59 pm

Prince wrote:Sorry for moving the thread back and away from the topic, but couldn't resist......

Don't worry...I'll put it back at its rightful place.

Prince wrote:Man's response to 'God' has broadly been on the following:
0) There is no concept of a God

That's atheism.

Prince wrote:1) God is dangerous and evil. If you don't worship/ appease him, he will destroy you.

This is a fallacy arising from misinterpretation of religios texts. No text says thus.

Prince wrote:2) God need not be feared. He will be good to you if you worship him, but he will be evil to you if you don't

True...God need not be feared. But who said he will be good to you if you worship him and evil otherwise? God is never evil. Having said that, let me also tell you that its our Karma that results in good or bad reactions. And the reactions from our Karma are not God's actions. They are some laws of nature at play.

Prince wrote:3) God is a good being. He will be good to you if you worship him, but you are his child and even if you don't believe in him, he cares for you and will forgive you.

Refer to Point 2

Prince wrote:4) God is the compassionate being. He will be good to you irrespective of whether you believe in him or not

Again refer to Point 2

Prince wrote:5) There is no such thing as god (becomes sort of redundant when I don't need to fear/ appease/ pray to him/her)

Just because you don't look at something or take an interest in it, you cannot deny its existence.

Prince wrote:If you notice, Hinduism has elements of all these at the same time.. Most would not agree with this, but probably the heighest form of hinduism is actually atheism when you actually start thinking that god is in you. My very brief exposure to some Islamic discussions also point out to, in essence, (3) or (4) above. I could be mistaken and hence apologise.

The beauty of Sanatana Dharma (not hinduism as is colloquially said) is that its a very democratic religion. People are not tightly bound by severe rules and regulations. Followers can choose their path to God (There are 9 different ways described to attain God described in our scriptures). And I don't understand your point about believing that God is in you being the same as Atheism. An atheist ignores the very existence of God (as put up by you in points 1 & 5).

Prince wrote:Sorry, I am almost irreligious, but there were some interesting discussions going on..

Do join in. Your inputs are appreciated.
In un foro nella terra, viva un hobbit
Habitual Perfectionist
Level 1 Lord
Level 1 Lord

by Prince » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:43 pm

Thanks HP for pointing me to this post.

I think my attempt at being brief has made my post unclear. Hence I will restate my thoughts rather than respond to your observations.

What I listed down was the sequence in which religion may have developed.

0) There was no concept of a 'god' for the early man. He then saw lightning and floods and death from tigers. He got scared and when he couldn't assign a reason for certain happenings, he became fearful, thought of a superpower and began to 'worship' him

1) Hence, God is dangerous and evil. If you don't worship/ appease him, he will destroy you. That's how sacrifices may have started.

With growth in civilization and knowledge about the causes of things happening around him, there was less to fear.

2) God need not be feared. He will be good to you if you worship him, but he will be evil to you if you don't. God is still seen as a powerful being. Keep him in good humour and he will generally leave you alone.

I probably missed out on an intermediate stage in my earlier post. It is okay not to please him, but for heaven's sake, don't antagonise him.

3) God is a good being. He will be good to you if you worship him. Ask for favours and he will grant them to you.

But you are his child and even if you don't believe in him, he cares for you and will 'forgive' you if you are good.

4) God is the compassionate being. He will be good to you and cares for you irrespective of whether you believe in him or not

5) There is no such thing as god (becomes sort of redundant when I don't need to fear/ appease/ pray to him/her)

The last one is a bit of a leap. The god is in you. I am on slippery ground here, but this is a layman's interpretation of aham brahmam. You don't have to worship/ pray. No rituals are required, etc. Effectively, there is no 'separate' being called god. OK, this may not be the same thing as atheism, but is almost like a parallel track to atheism, simply put. Mathematically, 'tending towards atheism'? Probably not the same thing as 'there is no god', but more as 'there is no need for religious practices, rituals and thoughts and scriptures'

I do realise that one probably needs to go step by step to reach stage 5. It would be too presumptous of anybody to think that they could jump stages in their search for god.

Am I making sense? :D
Prince

by Prince » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:49 pm

Speaking of prayers, the best I have come across in any language is this:

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

Courage to change the things I can,

and the wisdom to know the difference.

I don't if this is from any scripture, but I think it is used by the Alcoholics Anonymous. If you think about it, what more could one really ask for from god?
Prince

by CtrlAltDel » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:51 pm

Prince wrote:Am I making sense? :D
yes u do...:D...an argument well put forward Prince!
wtf? i no longer care if my posts hurt yr feelings :roll:
Love me or hate me, u cant ignore me :D
CtrlAltDel
God!
God!

by Prince » Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:05 pm

Alexis wrote:Yeah, but fear when you know you havent done what your supposed to. Or have done what youre not supposed to. Cuz you know you'll be punished for it unless you repent.

Just a couple of rhetorical questions. I may be irreligious, but I am no atheist either :D

Q1:

IF I commit no sin, and,

IF I help my fellow beings in every way I can,

Will 'god' be happy about me and bless me?

Q2:

IF I commit no sin, and,

IF I help my fellow beings in every way I can, and

IF I deny the existence of god (in my ignorance, you may say),

Will I go to heaven or hell (assuming they exist)?
Prince

by black wizard » Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:10 pm

http://www.churchofsatan.com

check it out. really absurd stuff!
I ran into my ex-girlfriend the other day... I backed up and ran into her again... I miss her sometimes...
black wizard
Level 2 Lord
Level 2 Lord

by Habitual Perfectionist » Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:28 am

Prince....

There is a slight gap in your understanding of the concept of Aham Brahmam. Actually, the Vedantic school of thought makes this as their slogan. And again, literal interpretation of the phrases and verses is the culprit here.

Aham Brahmam means I am Brahma (the Supreme Being). But the phrase has a deeper meaning than what is conveyed literally. It talks of the stage of spiritual evolution in man where he feels the Godliness within himself and that is the stage of true self realisation.

There are 3 ways of attaining God (the same as self-realisation as per the philosophy) as I mentioned in one of my earlier posts. They are Gyana (Knowledge), Bhakti (Devotion) & Karma (Action). The path of Bhakti is where you perform rituals. This path requires extreme discipline and the rituals should be performed from the bottom of your heart, rather than just out of habit. The path of Gyana is where you attain self realisation through attaining knowledge through studies, experience and focussed dissemination of facts. This path requires you to be very inquisitive and tenacious. Karma is said to be the easiest path to God in today's circumstances. The googly is that Karma is also where you can lose your path easily. This happens through maya.

Thus, whatever path you choose, God (your true self) is attainable. And even when you are not performing rituals ie. when you are pursuing the paths of Gyana & Karma, you are still searching for God.

I hope I answered your questions on the last section (a parallel track to atheism).
In un foro nella terra, viva un hobbit
Habitual Perfectionist
Level 1 Lord
Level 1 Lord

by Jaszalcatraz » Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:18 am

The biggest proof of the existence of God lies in beliefs of the athiest, who thinks that the world is so perfect (which is his creation) that we do not need him anymore.

I read this somewhere (put more eloquently though)
Jaszalcatraz
Level 3 Star User
Level 3 Star User

by lizard king » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:01 am

looks like religion and god have been doing rounds for ever and ever, which defeintely makes it one of the most contraversial topic, and believe me, i thought nationalism was the biggest contraversy till date.
The ultimate
lizard king
Level 2 Lord
Level 2 Lord

by rock_26iin » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:11 pm

lizard king wrote:looks like religion and god have been doing rounds for ever and ever, which defeintely makes it one of the most contraversial topic, and believe me, i thought nationalism was the biggest contraversy till date.

Was that really necessary?
Things are supposed to happen the way they happen. And the reason they happen the way the happen is because you try to make them happen in a certain way and may or may not be succesful.
rock_26iin
Level 1 Deity
Level 1 Deity

by CtrlAltDel » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:33 pm

rock_26iin wrote:
lizard king wrote:looks like religion and god have been doing rounds for ever and ever, which defeintely makes it one of the most contraversial topic, and believe me, i thought nationalism was the biggest contraversy till date.
of corz! PC++ ;)
wtf? i no longer care if my posts hurt yr feelings :roll:
Love me or hate me, u cant ignore me :D
CtrlAltDel
God!
God!

by rock_26iin » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:59 pm

CtrlAltDel wrote:
rock_26iin wrote:
of corz! PC++ ;)

Another one bites the dust!
Things are supposed to happen the way they happen. And the reason they happen the way the happen is because you try to make them happen in a certain way and may or may not be succesful.
rock_26iin
Level 1 Deity
Level 1 Deity

by lizard king » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:11 pm

CtrlAltDel wrote:
rock_26iin wrote:
of corz! PC++ ;)

na man..

i dont use a PC, i use a Mac
The ultimate
lizard king
Level 2 Lord
Level 2 Lord

by rock_26iin » Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:19 pm

lizard king wrote:
CtrlAltDel wrote:
rock_26iin wrote:
of corz! PC++ ;)

na man..
i dont use a PC, i use a Mac

get up and smell the apples :? :? :?
rock_26iin
Level 1 Deity
Level 1 Deity

Previous                

Return to Creativity, Inc.