Sunday, 28 April 2024 »  Login
in

[b][u]Perfectspeak - Volume 3[/u][/b]

Some of the best local talent on... everything! Check out the city's best writers here, as they take on the shackles!

Moderator: The Moderator Team

[b][u]Perfectspeak - Volume 3[/u][/b]

by Alexis » Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:13 am

On behalf of Habitual Perfectionist

The story of startups

My career has been a roller coaster one. I've worked in glory for the most glamourous names around and also slogged my butt for virtual unknowns. During this 12 year old career, I've developed a strange affinity for startups. No company can give you the scope to perform, improve and grow the way a startup does. I perform at my optimum when I'm working for one of those young companies. Last week, however, was different. I was leaving a startup in a way I wasn't used to leaving them. Whenever I worked with a startup, I made sure that at the time of leaving, it was in a better shape than what it was when I joined. But my last employer proved to be the first exception to the rule. Inspite of having worked like madmen over the past year, me and my collegue had the ignominy of seeing a client change vendors because the current vendor (our employer) didn't really seem interested in the business. Luckily, the client was so impressed with us that the new vendor spread out the proverbial red carpet for us and we were not left stranded in the middle of the whole exchange.

I spent the weekend contemplating this. Why did it happen that my previous employer, with so much of promise, fizzled out in a year with nothing to show as an achievement except for personal laurels earned by its employees? What were the factors that made such a bright spark fade into oblivion? Ironically, when I did understand the reasons, I saw that they were all reasons, due to which, established names have been seen dropping down. Bureaucracy that would put a government office to shame; overconfidence bordering on obstinacy and a Chalta Hai attitude towards both clients as well as employees.

It was again a trip down the memory lane for me as I dwelt on the factors that turn a startup into a force to reckon with. The most important parameter in a company's success is its vision. Unless the company has a clearly specified vision, it cannot be a success. The corporate vision of a company goes a long way in determining its goals - both short term as well as long term. The vision of a company is a sound refelction of how its promotors foresee the growth of the company and more often than not, is also an indicator of how successful a company would be.

The journey has just begun with a good vision. What follows is a thorough brainstorming on how the vision would be put into practice. This is where planning comes into picture. The company should have both long term and short term goals. Most of today's companies start up with just one short term goal - make money - and nothing long term. That's why, most of them end up being just another of those run of the mill entities we see everyday. The planning should touch upon all aspects of running the business viz. financial, administrative, marketing, operations and

HR.

Planning needs to be complimented with synchronous implementation. Any lapse in implementing the plans of the company would lead to the goals not being achieved the way they were intended to. This is where money starts playing a part and a startup should take care that it has a sound source of the initial investment as well as the working capital.

Implementation is also important as it is the tangible foundation, around which, an organisation is built. This is also where most of the systems fall into place. This makes implementation one of the most crucial phases in an organisation's life.

Once these three things are completed sincerely, the organisation gathers enough momentum to sustain itself for some time. This momentum needs to be kept up with some focussed promotion and marketing; excellent customer service and interaction; strategic pricing and last, but not the least, a team made up of superlative (or atleast above average) individuals, which can work cohesively as a single unit.

Finally, I'd like to say that in the event of you wanting to start your own business, please make sure that you have all the parameters mentioned above in place. Otherwise, it would be grossly unfair on the people you hire.

P.S. : I have requested Alexis to post this for me as I won't be able to access the boards for another couple of days. Missing you all and waiting to get back to the boards.
Whenever you can't sleep
May you be treated to a song
And heaven cracks
A song falls softly from the light of heaven.
Alexis
Level 2 Lord
Level 2 Lord

by CtrlAltDel » Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:45 am

this problem is typical of so many startups i have seens, esp in the IT boom time of 1998-2000. ppl with money to spare started companies with plush offices, hired large number of techies, had the best of infra structure and then sat wondering how to get clients.

i worked for one such company in the early stages of my career and it was really heart breaking to be forced to move out and then see it wither away slowly.

just brilliant ideas dont make good business sense. as HP pointed out it needs to be backed up with vision and planning, that was sadly lacking in the company i mentioned.

anyway HP, when i decide to open my restaurant, i'll hire u as a planning consultant...:D
wtf? i no longer care if my posts hurt yr feelings :roll:
Love me or hate me, u cant ignore me :D
CtrlAltDel
God!
God!

by akhilis2cool » Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:24 pm

I agree with cads views of vision and planning.

the first few years are the most important for a startup. if the product/service clicks then its gr8.....but constant innovation is also a key factor.

the IT boom is gr8 example of survival of the fittest...those co.s who were really serious about the future and had good ideas for growth have survuved. money will not b a pblm for such companies.
People are crazy, at times are strange. I am locked-in tight, I am out of range.
I used to care, but things have changed.
akhilis2cool
God!
God!

by Habitual Perfectionist » Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:34 pm

Thanks Alexis for posting this on my behalf.

CAD....My talents would cost a king's ransom.

And I'm bringing this back to the top.
In un foro nella terra, viva un hobbit
Habitual Perfectionist
Level 1 Lord
Level 1 Lord

by azazel » Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:02 pm

Mr.Perfect as always.. was away when the first 2 volumes of Perfectspeak were posted.. went thru 'em just now.. extremely well written.. will comment on the 1st one soon..inshallah..

p.s: was kinda :? 'til i saw the disclaimer in the opening post.. was thinking ke ye achanak Alexis ko kya hua?? :lol:
nolite arbitrari quia venerim mittere pacem in terram non veni pacem
azazel
Level 1 Deity
Level 1 Deity

by Alexis » Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:09 pm

azazel wrote:Mr.Perfect as always.. was away when the first 2 volumes of Perfectspeak were posted.. went thru 'em just now.. extremely well written.. will comment on the 1st one soon..inshallah..

I agree, HP has great talent. He expresses himself very efficiently with an amazing hand at the english language.
Whenever you can't sleep
May you be treated to a song
And heaven cracks
A song falls softly from the light of heaven.
Alexis
Level 2 Lord
Level 2 Lord

Return to Creativity, Inc.