Saturday, 27 April 2024 »  Login
in

Review : Bose - The Forgotten Hero

Some of the best local talent on... everything! Check out the city's best writers here, as they take on the shackles!

Moderator: The Moderator Team

Review : Bose - The Forgotten Hero

by vivek » Sun May 15, 2005 1:01 am

Just came back from Bose - The Forgotten Hero. A risky idea people said. However, i retained my belief on the attention to detail the Shyam Benegal gives. And he did.

Bose is a film for those with a more than normal grip over the history of Indian independence struggle. The film moves at breakneck speed detailing last 5 years his life in a long 3 hours songless narration. Yes, there are no songs. Just a couple of tracks used in the background.

The first half elaborates Bose's escape from Calcutta to Afgan in search of a foothold to build a force of threat to the ruling Britishers. He meets the whos who of Afgans and Germans. Even Hitler but fails to break ground.

Eventually he finds himself in Singapore with a sizable Indian POWs fighting on behalf of brits as members of the First Indian National Army.

If my history is correct than a lot has been skipped for the audience to wonder. The film literally jumps a month a minute and before you count 10 the story had progressed by 2 years and you are either bored or wondering if the narration has suffered.

However, its worth a watch for the data and details that benegal has provided. You need to be absolutely attentive for this film. There are several characters, too important to be missed.

Songs take a back seat. Even Rahman known for his background score did little. The narration and focus on Bose as a single all important character is maintained.

Important scenes such a Bose's meeting with Hitler goes without much of an impact because of the hurried narration of the movie till then. You are gasping for breath and then Hitler appears!! You wonder why things are moving so fast.

Bose's last 5 years was very eventful. Including his death. So much happened that it would be unwise not to depict those events. However, the film is stuffed like a 'zip file'.

But what impressed me was when the end credits role and actual footage of the real bose is shown with Rahman's 'Azadi' as a backdrop. For once, none amongst the audience left the theatre. Everyone stood still as if it was an anthem untilled the long list of credits concluded.

On the whole, a long movie for history buffs and for those who want to have an intelligent opinion of each freedom fighter's contribution to the struggle.
http://www.wiredbeats.com - Download Attitude for Free!

How will it end?
vivek
Level 1 Star User
Level 1 Star User

by ycr007 » Sun May 15, 2005 1:08 am

Nice Review Mate.Seems that Benegal Saab has indeed made a Beautiful movie.I had Read its Review by indiaFM Jus' a few hours ago and it gave this one a 3-Star Rating.Considering that its a period film with Jus' two Big names(That of Benegal & Rahman) and an actor who has essayed only character roles in the lead,the curiosity value associated with Netaji will Deginitely be a Postive Aspect for the Movie.

And As Ever,Rahman's Music is really Good.Ekla Chalo Ekla Chalo is the pick of the lot......

Me hopes to catch it soon.....
ycr007
Level 2 Deity
Level 2 Deity

by vivek » Sun May 15, 2005 1:12 am

ycr007 wrote:Nice Review Mate.Seems that Benegal Saab has indeed made a Beautiful movie.I had Read its Review by indiaFM Jus' a few hours ago and it gave this one a 3-Star Rating.Considering that its a period film with Jus' two Big names(That of Benegal & Rahman) and an actor who has essayed only character roles in the lead,the curiosity value associated with Netaji will Deginitely be a Postive Aspect for the Movie.

And As Ever,Rahman's Music is really Good.Ekla Chalo Ekla Chalo is the pick of the lot......

Me hopes to catch it soon.....

Like i said rahman has little to do here. The three main songs Ekla chalo, Hum dilli jayenge and kadam kadam badayeja is are standard bose songs redone. Then there is then anthem ' azaadi' thats come at the end. But if you looking for pure story and no diversion..then go for it. Besides, knowking a little bit of history does no harm
http://www.wiredbeats.com - Download Attitude for Free!

How will it end?
vivek
Level 1 Star User
Level 1 Star User

by SeH » Tue May 17, 2005 9:00 pm

Most awaited movie for me... dunno when its gonna be here..... thanks for the review vivek...
Don't expect to learn about people from books; a person can't fit in a bookcase
SeH
Level 1 Star User
Level 1 Star User

Return to Creativity, Inc.