Friday, 29 March 2024 »  Login
in

This Newyear, I want you to dance on Guru

Some of the best local talent on... everything! Check out the city's best writers here, as they take on the shackles!

Moderator: The Moderator Team

This Newyear, I want you to dance on Guru

by wiredbeats » Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:16 pm

THIS NEW YEAR, I WANT YOU TO DANCE ON GURU…

The other day I was at an upmarket lounge in the city where as usual the inhouse DJ was playing garbage music. I walked up to him and asked him to play some stuff that is known, and he instantly started off with Dhoom 2 .He played this track 5 times in 2 hours.

I walked up to him and asked him to play Guru. He said no one requests Guru because the tracks are not for common people. Apparently people find it too ‘contextual’! Wonder what that means.

As a freak co-incidence, I had got a mail from a certain DJ Kenny asking if I can attempt a new feel to some tracks therein.

I came back home with a vengeance. To mix select tracks with a club feel. Part of my vengeance was due to my prejudice towards folks rejecting ARR’s music!!!

Although I was a bit hesitant to try a mix on the Rahman’s recent gem as I had promised myself and other fellow Rahman fans of not attempting a mix until the movie releases - the trigger factor is the plethora of assembly line mixes of today’s average sound tracks out in the market.

Who says one cannot dance to the tracks of Guru?

This New Year, I want people to dance to Guru in the same blend as that of the party sound. I want all to recall these tracks and eventually listen to the great original. I want you to dance.

Consider these

Tere Bina – The Asian Underground Mix

The track Tere Bina is a genre from Rahman’s core competence – Ballads. Only he can infuse so much romance in a track without any specific lyrical brilliance. My version is what I call as the ‘Asian Underground Mix’. A drum heavy version tuned to the sound of the likes of Talvin Singh, only a little faster. It might be all noise to a listener alien to ‘Trip n scratch’ sound of the Asian Underground. Nonetheless, you may even find it interesting.

As always, this is just my experiment of mixing ballad with a diametrically opposite sound genre. My true tribute to AR Rahman!

Barso Re – The Old School Disco Mix

Barso Re from Guru is peppy and impish. It has the freshness of the rain and it has the sound that is real and catchy. However, there is a section of folks who want plastic music and they say the song is too ‘Indian’ to dance! I did show the finger (in my mind) to one such person, but I did decide not to let such a fresh song stay away from the doors of plastic people. This version of mine is a take from the old school disco sound that has a running base line and a fast and peppy groove.

Download these new tracks and more at http://www.wiredbeats.com
http://www.wiredbeats.com - Download Attitude for Free!

How will it end?
wiredbeats
Level 1 Star User
Level 1 Star User

Oh

by VJ » Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:25 pm

Oh really!................................. :D
Being Oneself is One of the Greatest Qualities of All Time In a Human Being.
VJ

by wiredbeats » Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:32 pm

ya! 8)

How will it end?
wiredbeats
Level 1 Star User
Level 1 Star User

Unfortunately

by VJ » Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:39 pm

Unfortunately people play deaf ears to what u r referring to. people r used to stuff which is more of western and start itching their bodies. I guess GURU doesn't have that kind of stuff in it.
Being Oneself is One of the Greatest Qualities of All Time In a Human Being.
VJ

Re: Unfortunately

by wiredbeats » Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:42 pm

VJ wrote:Unfortunately people play deaf ears to what u r referring to. people r used to stuff which is more of western and start itching their bodies. I guess GURU doesn't have that kind of stuff in it.

which is my my mixes buddy! they are good for itching with a bakdrop of a decent track :D

How will it end?
wiredbeats
Level 1 Star User
Level 1 Star User

by Cartoonist » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:00 am

I first downloaded your RDB, Swades and Yuva Lounge editions a few months ago and have been a fan ever since. Tere Bina and Barso Re are my two favourite tracks from the OST and so i was a little skeptical when i read that u've made dance numbers. I've downloaded both the tracks from ur website, and here are my comments. Be advised, im not a music connoisseur, so bear with me if i sound too amateur.

Barso Re- Old School Disco Mix

God, i love Shreya Ghosal ( maybe just her voice :P ) It has such a fresh feel to it, its flawless! I cant understand what u meant by mixing a dance number for the plastic people but if this is what people in India are listening to right now, that's disappointing. If they cant appreciate good music, leave 'em at that. The track was too loud and jarring. Forgive me for being so forthright, but personally, i wouldnt play this at my party.

Tere Bina- Asian Underground Mix

Drums. Now that's a party starter. i dont mean jump up and dance, but definitely get u into the groove. The first minute, when i played it for my friends here in NZ, had them hooked. Wonderful. However, the song somtimes had a mismatch in tempo (beats running while the lyrics were slower) which could do with some doctoring. However, this is the song playing in my car and ipod right now and i really appriciate ur effort!

Cheers mate.
Cartoonist

by wiredbeats » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:34 pm

Wow! thanks for playing it in your car!!

Mixing Tere Bina was a challenge. It is a tough song and even tougher to mix considering the varying pace of the song.

By Plastic people i meant those who are 'fake' and conciously avoid desi soundz.

I just do these mixes for fun..you might wanna try other mixes which people liked..esply the so called ' Sun set mix of Tun Bin Bataye..' that found its way in a Mumbai FM stations, guess it was Go92.5

Mr. GO92.5..if you are reading this, will i get paid for playing my track..without me knowing!! :roll:

How will it end?
wiredbeats
Level 1 Star User
Level 1 Star User

by Cartoonist » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:51 am

wiredbeats wrote:.....the so called ' Sun set mix of Tun Bin Bataye..' [/i]

I couldn't find the track. Did u mean 'Tere Liye- The Sunset Mix'?
Cartoonist

by wiredbeats » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:46 am

Sorry it was Tu Bin Bataye - The Groove Edition

How will it end?
wiredbeats
Level 1 Star User
Level 1 Star User

by chillypepper » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:48 am

found this while i was googling and searching for bollywood mixes and here are my two cents if in case you are still listening

mix of the guru track tere bina is awesome and like the other guy in this thread said the beginning part made me take notice, it was quite radically different but its somewhere in between that you loose shade and song kinda drags..none the less great bass work!! sound gr8 in my iPOD

Over all i regd in your site and your mixes are really cool but man the Rang De mix of Tu bin bataye - groove edition ( or whatever u call it) is phenomenal its fantastic and sounds very romantic too i love the piano track..., i think you have done a great job in retaining the romantic flavor while at the same time making it a dance track...one of my fav remixes ever !!

but like the two sides of a coin, some of your tracks like dil se project sucked big time..

over all ...count me as a fan!8)

those were my two cents...sorry if this is the wrong place for reviews.. [/b]
chillypepper

Return to Creativity, Inc.