Tuesday, 4 June 2024 »  Login
in

muslim and hindu marriage

Friendship, love, live-in and extra-marital relationships, marriage, family - share the views of diverse people on everything that makes up life.

Moderator: The Moderator Team

by Akshay » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:55 am

pooja wrote:hi i am a hindu girl.iam married couple hindu and muslim. but my husband is very good because he does not allow me to go temples and pray to god.maine bhi kabhi socha tha ki mera husband mujhe bahut pyar..................

Poojajee, if you are truly experiencing the problem you have described here then my sympathies to you and thanks from everyone for highlighting the downside of such episodes. I hope your troubles will become a thing of past soon.

In one of the threads I encouraged someone venturing into it, but that was because their environment and background was different and more cosmopolitan. Morover I tried to ennumerate the issues they might face despite their background.

I am sure there are many inter religious marriages which are successfull. But it is also true that in majority of cases of inter religious marriage in India there will be continual pressure from the respective families of spouses to convert the other to their own religion. In addition to that Hindu-Muslim/Christian marriages take a unique tone of diadvantage for the hindu spouse.

Hindus overwhlemingly deal with inter religious marriage of an hindu by disowning (outcasting) him/her and thus the new couple will be completely cut off from the hindu spouse's family side. This might have to do with the practice that a hindu is always born into hinduism and never converted into hinduism.

Muslims/Christians to a large extent deal with the issue by continually enticing/motivating/educating/forcing the hindu spouse, predominantly that spouse is the woman, to convert to islam/christianity. This might have to do with the fact that conversion is very much accepted, tolerated, celebrated, and encouraged, religious edicts are very strong and the world is divided into fidels and infidels for christians and muslims.

This being the case, one should expect that if and as love recedes and religion precedes over time the hindu spouse would have lost parental/social/familial standings and muslim/christian spouse would start to feel the pressure from his/her side to convert his/her spouse. This will eventually lead the muslim/christian spouse to start pressuring the hindu spouse to read the kalma/bible and accept islam/christianity. How the pressure is handled obviously varies from person to person.

Unfortunately Pooja's example seems to be one of the many that take this kind of wrong turn post marriage.

Supriyajee, please look at the situation from multiple angles and make an educated choice. My best wishes to you.
God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh. Voltaire, philosopher (1694-1778)
Akshay

Re: muslim and hindu marriage

by samai » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:59 am

[quote="supriya"]I am a hindu girl and my muslim boyfriend and I are planning to marry. Should i compulsorily convert my religion according to the Indian law or is it ok if we practise our own religions? wat religion will the kids get after they are born? Pl send ur views and opinions...[/quote]

My suggestion: get married to that person who is of your religion and who has similar customs (and background ) that you follow. It becomes much easier for the two of you to have that all elusive happy married life. Any marriage is full of compromises. An inter-religious marriage requires that many more added compromises. You guys are game? Go ahead, work at it but, remember, take out some time to enjoy your marriage too. It might work out. The worst hit, though will be your children. They will grow up confused, like, dhobhi ka gadha na ghar ka na ghat ka. No, seriously. Cad seems to be saying what he suggested to you out of experience. He had some wise words there.
samai

by samai » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:03 am

and also Akshay has given a lot of wise words.
samai

by Akshay » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:34 am

Going through Poojas post collection it is apparent that Mayavi rightly characterised pooja to be a dhongi/fareb. I am disappointed that my sympathies were wasted on such a person.

But I still hold my other observation regarding post marriage religious pressures to be correct and hope it gives you one among many angles for your situation to be looked from.
God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh. Voltaire, philosopher (1694-1778)
Akshay

by Mayavi Morpheus » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:38 am

kyun convert hona chhaiye wrote:I was born in a Hindu family and I married a Christian girl. Sometime after my marriage, I embraced Islam, but my wife did not. My Muslim friends advised me that my marriage was invalid. I, therefore, married a Muslim girl and I have a son by her. I did not have any children by my first wife. Recently, I saw your answer to a question in which you confirmed that a Muslim may marry a Christian or a Jewish girl. I have not had any relationship with my first wife for the last ten years, except writing letters and sending money to her. Should I rejoin her? Or does financial help constitute my only responsibility? Is it necessary to have a new marriage contract or is our marriage still valid? why should , kya yeh sahi hai. kya islaam hi hai aur kuch nahi pyar kuch nahi. kyun kahate hai ki yeh galat hai hindu ki shaadi kyun hindu hokar nahi ho sakati hai muslim kyun ho .

a bit of googling showed that this is a question from outsider.org or sumthing like that. I believe Pooja is just quoting it and only added her comments in last two lines in hindi.
May the Fries be with you!
Mayavi Morpheus
Level 2 Lord
Level 2 Lord

by Akshay » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:45 am

Poojajee, my apologies. May your worreis go away soon.
Akshay

Re: muslim and hindu marriage

by CtrlAltDel » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:59 pm

samai wrote:...Cad seems to be saying what he suggested to you out of experience. He had some wise words there.
:lol: haha! thanQ! actually i do have the experience...there were a couple of inter-caste and inter-religious weddings in my family...:D
wtf? i no longer care if my posts hurt yr feelings :roll:
Love me or hate me, u cant ignore me :D
CtrlAltDel
God!
God!

Previous                

Return to Human Relationships