Friday, 29 March 2024 »  Login
in

Do intelligent women intimidate guys?

Friendship, love, live-in and extra-marital relationships, marriage, family - share the views of diverse people on everything that makes up life.

Moderator: The Moderator Team

by fn » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:50 pm

hmmmm

yeah it happens sometimes
A man sees in the world what he carries in his heart
fn

Intelligent Women

by VJ » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:38 am

Yes it does happens sometimes. If it's understanding then I can sort or cope with it. If its truly intimidating then I don't accept it, however she is intelligent.

@VJ
Being Oneself is One of the Greatest Qualities of All Time In a Human Being.
VJ

Depends

by Sid » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:37 pm

It depends. Only if she is trying to intimidate the guy. I been in the company of several intelligent woman (at least more intelligent than me) and never been intimidated. On the other hand, it's the guys who intimidate me.
Sid

by attitdude » Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:16 pm

intelligent women dont intimidate men at all..coz intelligent women dont exist!!
attitdude

Intelligent Women

by VJ » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:53 am

attitdude wrote:intelligent women dont intimidate men at all..coz intelligent women dont exist!!
It's unfair to say intelligent women don't exist. Keep searching around ur premises. U might find some one. :)

@VJ
VJ

by attitdude » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:38 pm

hey i searched and found one..unfortunately he was intelligent until he became a she.(underwent a sex change)
attitdude

Re: Do intelligent women intimidate guys?

by mind's eye » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:15 pm

Lady with the Lamp wrote:Was just wondering....is this true ?.....even if you are the intellectual sort, would you feel threatened if you meet a girl/woman who knows more than you.......I'd appreciate honest answers.

I feel this changes with the kind of relationship --- like

in a husbad and wife relationship - men feel definately threatened, or if your at the same level in an organisation and competeing for higher positions - same thing - which turns real ugly when you have a lady boss/superior.

but in friendship - intelligent women are often praised /admired , supported by men but the same guys would never choose such personalities to be their life partners!!
mind's eye

by Vishrasayan » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:39 am

deeeep....experience speaking mind's eye??
Dil pe mat le yaar....
http://vishrasayan.blogspot.com/
Vishrasayan

by Vishrasayan » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:42 am

and i assume... lady with the lamp most probably searched out her pardner by now insecure or otherwise.....
Dil pe mat le yaar....
Vishrasayan

by Lady with the Lamp » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:22 pm

attitdude wrote:intelligent women dont intimidate men at all..coz intelligent women dont exist!!

Please accept my sincere sympathies if you haven't met any.
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right.
Lady with the Lamp

by Lady with the Lamp » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:24 pm

mind's eye wrote:
Lady with the Lamp wrote:Was just wondering....is this true ?.....even if you are the intellectual sort, would you feel threatened if you meet a girl/woman who knows more than you.......I'd appreciate honest answers.

I feel this changes with the kind of relationship --- like

in a husbad and wife relationship - men feel definately threatened, or if your at the same level in an organisation and competeing for higher positions - same thing - which turns real ugly when you have a lady boss/superior.

but in friendship - intelligent women are often praised /admired , supported by men but the same guys would never choose such personalities to be their life partners!!

I tend to agree with you.
Lady with the Lamp

Re: Intelligent Women intimidates men

by Lady with the Lamp » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:44 pm

VJ wrote:Ummmmmmmm, It does happen sometimes. Let me give u a practical example which I observed in my life when I just passed out of my engg and was staying in a room which was in the first floor. There used to be a family beside our room in which the husband is the Networking Engg, Wife is the Team Leader in a call center and they have a kid as well.

Poor Husband would always be alone in the nights :lol: since his wife's job is in the nights, and so he had to cook and also had to take care of the kid by himself. We would even hear the couple arguing many a times and hurting the kid in anger.Poor kid would cry along and his father would take care of him all the time.

And on certain occasions his wife would join in the parties with her collegues and he would be left alone drinking in his house when his wife wasn't there. And interestingly he would go pick her up from the parties :lol: . She always used to dominate in every manner and talk in an ordering manner. He somehow he would digest it all the time and would give us a simple smile when we would pass by.

We were all surprised :o , but he was very kind. So it worked for them.

It depends on how men react, especially in India where men have an upperhand and ego feeling in them.

@VJ

VJ, The above example demonstrates that the lady in question is on a higher footing financially/professionally. Whether or not that translates to her being more intelligent than him is debatable. So the question of the husband getting intimidated by her intelligence is a little out of place here.

From how I see it, maybe she's earning more than him(considering call centres pay well!) and he realises that there's no point throwing tantrums because a double income is making their life more comfortable. Also, you cannot rule out, her earning capability intimidates him.
Lady with the Lamp

Intelligent Women intimidates men

by special » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:18 pm

Vishrasayan wrote:deeeep....experience speaking mind's eye??

looks like the message it self has intimidated you :lol:
special

by mind's eye » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:41 am

Lady with the Lamp wrote:
VJ wrote:Ummmmmmmm, It does happen sometimes. Let me give u a practical example which I observed in my life when I just passed out of my engg and was staying in a room which was in the first floor. There used to be a family beside our room in which the husband is the Networking Engg, Wife is the Team Leader in a call center and they have a kid as well.

Poor Husband would always be alone in the nights :lol: since his wife's job is in the nights, and so he had to cook and also had to take care of the kid by himself. We would even hear the couple arguing many a times and hurting the kid in anger.Poor kid would cry along and his father would take care of him all the time.

And on certain occasions his wife would join in the parties with her collegues and he would be left alone drinking in his house when his wife wasn't there. And interestingly he would go pick her up from the parties :lol: . She always used to dominate in every manner and talk in an ordering manner. He somehow he would digest it all the time and would give us a simple smile when we would pass by.

It depends on how men react, especially in India where men have an upperhand and ego feeling in them.

@VJ

VJ, The above example demonstrates that the lady in question is on a higher footing financially/professionally. Whether or not that translates to her being more intelligent than him is debatable. So the question of the husband getting intimidated by her intelligence is a little out of place here.

From how I see it, maybe she's earning more than him(considering call centres pay well!) and he realises that there's no point throwing tantrums because a double income is making their life more comfortable. Also, you cannot rule out, her earning capability intimidates him.

I agree that this example does not fit ...

as there are dominating egoistic husbands - the exist dominating egoistic wives tooo.

Intelligent women may have ups and donws in their relationships but can have the capacity to handle it very well . As i personally know many such women with happy relationships - as men gradually learn to give space & respect their intelligent wife ---

these ups and downs are primarily because the husband get intimidated , but its the intelligance of the woman that brings it back on track.

but yes non - intelligent women in with higher footing financially/professionally do cause emotional stress to their husbands forcing them to become submissive
mind's eye

Intelligent Women intimidates men

by mind's eye » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:45 am

Vishrasayan wrote:deeeep....experience speaking mind's eye??

you do not require experience , intelligence is enough
mind's eye

by Vishrasayan » Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:07 pm

there are two sexes in the world....

insecurity and one upmanship is now essential human nature.... not a patent of either sex....

yes they exist......intelligent women & intelligent men.....

yes....there exist intimidated men & intimidated women....

yet...the insecurity translates differently in different sexes.....and different individuals...

aren't they different sexes after all?

but still there are but two sexes in the world....

have a break ppl..... it's been four years now !

I am done

bye
Dil pe mat le yaar....
Vishrasayan

by VJ » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:53 pm

@VJ

Well, My intention was just to give an real life example. I don't want to drag it too far and make myself guilty for involving their (Husband/Wife) life here on this topic. I have written what I have observed. However she was too dominating in every manner, not sure of her personal intelligence though........... :) may be her husband can respond if he is reading this.......hahahahahaha :lol:

@VJ
VJ

by maturity » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:42 am

i see u received lots of brickbats...anyways it depends on the man himself, if he is mature himself i don't think he will be threatened by the intellectual level of the woman he meets, if he's not lets just say he has a supersized ego :-)
maturity

by Lady with the Lamp » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:43 pm

Vishrasayan wrote:there are two sexes in the world....

insecurity and one upmanship is now essential human nature.... not a patent of either sex....

yes they exist......intelligent women & intelligent men.....

yes....there exist intimidated men & intimidated women....

yet...the insecurity translates differently in different sexes.....and different individuals...

aren't they different sexes after all?

but still there are but two sexes in the world....

have a break ppl..... it's been four years now !

I am done

bye

Maybe I'm promoting my own topic here but I'll still say it....

It's been 4 years, true, but the topic is as relevant today as it was then.
Lady with the Lamp

by Lady with the Lamp » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:54 pm

maturity wrote:i see u received lots of brickbats...anyways it depends on the man himself, if he is mature himself i don't think he will be threatened by the intellectual level of the woman he meets, if he's not lets just say he has a supersized ego :-)

Maturity, you are right, the latter part is definitely a possibility!
Lady with the Lamp

by VJ » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:45 pm

maturity wrote:i see u received lots of brickbats...anyways it depends on the man himself, if he is mature himself i don't think he will be threatened by the intellectual level of the woman he meets, if he's not lets just say he has a supersized ego :-)

Maturity, you are right, the latter part is definitely a possibility!

U got to be smart enough to handle intelligent women :P

@VJ
VJ

My penny's worth

by Tyro » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:48 pm

If it's just a question of 'meeting with' or 'talking to' a more intelligent woman, or being associated with her for a short time, the response of the guy would be that of appreciation and admiration.

In a long-term relation, a guy cannot help showing at least a bit of resentment, if not intimidation, when he's being intellectually dominated by a woman.

The flip side is .. any woman, no matter how intelligent she is, always would hope to get associated with a more intelligent ( not to be confused with 'dominating' ) man in her life. What say ?
Tyro

Do intelligent women intimidate guys...?

by Moe » Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:53 am

I think "Intelligent Woman" is an oxymoron...
Moe

Re: My penny's worth

by Portuguese Man-Of-War » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:32 am

Tyro wrote:If it's just a question of 'meeting with' or 'talking to' a more intelligent woman, or being associated with her for a short time, the response of the guy would be that of appreciation and admiration.

In a long-term relation, a guy cannot help showing at least a bit of resentment, if not intimidation, when he's being intellectually dominated by a woman.

The flip side is .. any woman, no matter how intelligent she is, always would hope to get associated with a more intelligent ( not to be confused with 'dominating' ) man in her life. What say ?

These are generalizations, of course - I am sure you meant "most" whenever you used "any" or "all". Not to get too technical, but these are true mostly of urban, educated India. These things mostly do not arise in a traditional setup - I am not typing why or how here, since everyone can understand that.

Also, there must be women who look for character above higher intelligence. But since the operational word used in your post is "hope", you are right.

On the flip side, here's a question. If a woman is indeed smarter than her man, how should she handle her marriage/relationship? The obvious answer is perhaps that it depends on how the guy handles that situation. So let us assume that the guy cannot. How should it be, then?
Portuguese Man-Of-War

Re: My penny's worth

by Tyro » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:34 am

Portuguese Man-Of-War wrote:
Tyro wrote:If it's just a question of 'meeting with' or 'talking to' a more intelligent woman, or being associated with her for a short time, the response of the guy would be that of appreciation and admiration.

These are generalizations, of course - I am sure you meant "most" whenever you used "any" or "all". Not to get too technical, but these are true mostly of urban, educated India. These things mostly do not arise in a traditional setup - I am not typing why or how here, since everyone can understand that.

Also, there must be women who look for character above higher intelligence. But since the operational word used in your post is "hope", you are right.

On the flip side, here's a question. If a woman is indeed smarter than her man, how should she handle her marriage/relationship? The obvious answer is perhaps that it depends on how the guy handles that situation. So let us assume that the guy cannot. How should it be, then?

Character is not on the same plane as intelligence, coz you can hardly expect a person's (good)character to intimidate you, unless it's that of your enemy. It's not just women but men as well, who look for good character in their partner.

Intelligence... It makes a difference. Who has more of it really matters.

Let's face it.

Men don't mind ( rather they like it ) if their wives are less smart.

It boosts their ego - showing off their smartness to the wife. She would regard him in awe and admiration. She likes it too. It would be an ideal pair. Man > Woman, unless the gap is very huge.

Men may or may not mind if their wives are more smart. They may be OK with it, but very rarely do they 'like' it. This would not be such a happy pair as the previous one.

In this case the smarter wife may handle her relation well enough, but she will lack the excitement. She may love her man, adore him but will never be mad/crazy about him. She wants her man to be smarter than her, for a reason very basic to a woman's nature, that she wants to be the chosen one of a very well-equipped, smart, intelligent man.
Tyro

PreviousNext      

Return to Human Relationships