Saturday, 27 April 2024 »  Login
in

over protective parents!

Friendship, love, live-in and extra-marital relationships, marriage, family - share the views of diverse people on everything that makes up life.

Moderator: The Moderator Team

over protective parents!

by jquader » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:47 pm

Today while going through the supplement of Deccan Chronicle (Hyderabad Chronicle) I came across this article in which kids have been giving different futile reasons which shows that they consider their parent's over protectiveness as a cause of annoyance. Well I don’t agree with it cuz as far as I think they do it “for our own good!” , but unfortunately kids don't understand this n instead consider it as a lame excuse.

Though my mum is way too protective but I never find it annoying cuz I guess kids shud work on getting’ their parents 100% trust and if they think they can’t get it then its better they keep their mouths sealed rather than speakin’ crap about their mums n dads (da way how kids put their views on this topic in today’s paper)…..

I want ya ppl to send ur views on this topic!
whn u make a mistake, don't luk bk at it long. Tk da reason of the thing into ur mind n thn look 4wrd. Mistakes r lessons of wisdom.
da past cant be changed but da future is yet in your power.
jquader

by CtrlAltDel » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:40 pm

an interesting topic! :)

while we cannot expect our parents not to be protective about us, it is a problem if it veers towards "over-protection". the classic response "It is for your own good" doesnt hold much water since they tend to relate to what they know/experienced when they were of the same age.

over protecting a child would kill any initiative and independence. when they grow up the over-protected children wud be thrown into the very bad world they have been protected from. if parents realise what is good for their kids, it is better if they give them a good measure of independence along with a proper education abt the rights and wrongs (moral values).

kids who have been over-protected and sheltered a lot rarely become good leaders.

as a child grows into adolescence, it is natural to expect some privacy and a sense of rebellion against rules and rulers (read 'parents') parents have to understand this and modify their behaviour accordingly, while at the same time, not giving up control. after all, the final 'Yes' or 'No' is the prerogative of the parent.

while the parents have to give freedom to the kids (esp adolescents), it is important for the kids to remember that With great freedom, comes great responsibility (with apologies to Warner Bros.). abuse of freedom naturally leads to curtailing of the same and there is no use complaining abt dictatorial parents later.

so, let the child have a private phone conversation, respect the child's privacy over his/her belongings, respect the child's right to make atleast simple decisions, let the child enjoy/sing rap or heavy-metal and nothing wud go wrong. the child wud start respecting the parents in a new way and may not object if the mom or dad (occassionally) try to butt in into a party to have fun (and relive their younger days) :D

btw, my parenst never over-protected me. my dad's attitude was "let him fall, he will learn not to do that again". i must say i learnt a lot that way.
wtf? i no longer care if my posts hurt yr feelings :roll:
Love me or hate me, u cant ignore me :D
CtrlAltDel
God!
God!

by rock_26iin » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:31 pm

I tend to agree with CAD's views. Protection should also be limited to a certain extent, like if you know he's into bad habits, rectifying them etc. is ok. However, parents shouldn't interfere with each and every aspect of one's life.

"Spoon-feeding teaches one nothing expect the shape of the spoon"
Things are supposed to happen the way they happen. And the reason they happen the way the happen is because you try to make them happen in a certain way and may or may not be succesful.
rock_26iin
Level 1 Deity
Level 1 Deity

by mayumi » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:05 am

No matter what extreme lengths you may go to protect your children, it is impossible to create a completely safe environment. While you should take reasonable measures to keep your children safe and healthy, being overprotective prevents children from experiencing life, both the positive and the challenges.

It's just like this, when a child does something on her own for the first time, it is a great accomplishment, even if it is something as insignificant as learning to ride a bicycle. Parents who wrap their children in cotton wool, in a manner of speaking, are denying their children this pleasure.
mayumi

Return to Human Relationships