Friday, 29 March 2024 »  Login
in

Office Spouse-Heard of That?

Friendship, love, live-in and extra-marital relationships, marriage, family - share the views of diverse people on everything that makes up life.

Moderator: The Moderator Team

Office Spouse-Heard of That?

by Bimbette » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:52 am

I came across this article and I found it quite intriguing.

Would you agree with the content of the article? Do you have a similar story to share?

By: Edison Thomas

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/qui ... 873607.cms

Ears perked up when President Bush’s “warrior princess” committed what may be the faux pas of the year at a Washington dinner party. Condoleezza Rice normally chooses her words with care, which is why jaws dropped when she made a revealing slip of the tongue. Rice, who is unmarried, was reportedly overheard saying, “As I was telling my husband” before abruptly stopping herself. She continued: “As I was telling President Bush.”

While Freudians worked overtime on the slip, corporate houses were tracking a new emerging phenomenon - the office spouse. A recent study has found that 32 per cent of office workers have an “office husband” or “office wife” that is, a nonromantic relationship and many have more than one.

According to experts this work place phenomenon has taken shape with more women finding themselves on equal footing with their male counterparts. “It’s a personal relationship in the workplace as opposed to a purely project-oriented or work-minded relationship,” they say.

Experts here too say there is nothing romantic about this relationship. “People spend countless hours together and are so close they can even communicate without speaking. They’re simply office mates who also happen to be soul mates. The actual spouse may not be seeing their partner as often as the colleague and as humans one needs to bounce off situations and generally bond.

"The husband or the wife on reaching home may not have the time for office gossip. It’s only natural you find someone in the office to do this with. And as long as marital ties are strong, it will remain just a platonic relationship ," says counsellor Kenneth P.

“My wife tells me to keep my office stuff in the office. I too don’t like to hear her office gossip too much. But I do have close friends in the office who are female. My wife knows about them. I go out for lunches and coffee with them every day. I even shop for home with them. It’s healthy, it’s fun,” says adman Arun Kumar.

Says executive Karuna Sampath, “I had a great friend in Jason S, who worked with me. But office gossip got so bad, that I decided not to hang out with him. He was like a soulmate. Both of us were married, and we just had a very platonic relationship . He’s moved companies now and I miss him. Wish the office spouse phenomenon was there earlier I would have put the news up on our bulletin board.”

Having an office spouse may have some advantages. According to a report, it may not only make you happier with your job but may even improve your chances for promotions and raises. “It keeps you focused on the job. It’s only greed and lust that can sway your concentration and since this relationship fosters neither, it’s healthy and can make you a better worker willing to stay longer at work,” says Kenneth.

There are other advantages too: it’s a relationship with no strings attached, and if doesn’t work out, you pick another office spouse, and no divorce is necessary.
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right.
Bimbette

by Bimbette » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:55 am

Sorry, missed pasting the last part:

However writer Tina Louise Chadwick in a magazine says that deep relationships people often form with co-workers can affect their lives at home. “It’s true. A platonic relationship just needs a weak moment and things can get really bad at the work place. The thing is to avoid alcohol and too many evenings out with the office spouse to keep it platonic ,” say experts.
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right.
Bimbette

is it

by indiabo » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:14 am

Hey this phenomenon is too common, I can remember from my school days among our classmaes about ateacher whouse tobe hot favouriteof our headmaster

like frequent visit to hisoffice,

smiling at each other

registering casual leave on a shared date

Wat u all r saying is that u r giving age old "illicit relationship" a new term as in india we got a booming private services market.

is i am right?

but no justification.

interesting ... abt the princess and ugly shrek (bush) affair...

actually its carrying american customs.
indiabo

Nothing Unusual

by VJ » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:21 pm

Nothing Unusual. Even the US president Bill Clinton had an affair with Monica Lewinski :) . Did u all forget about that. There was even a case in one of the well known companies in India i.e. Infosys which I read in the news papers and on the TV. :shock:

The one problem is when u work with someone u get to know her more than ur spouse since u spend more time with the lady u work than with ur spouse. So it does happen sometimes, but its all under ur control and how u extend ur relationship without considering ur loved ones (Spouse) trust. :wink:

@VJ
Being Oneself is One of the Greatest Qualities of All Time In a Human Being.
VJ

by FT » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:21 pm

Trust the idiots to twist the connotations into something lurid.

The term 'Office Spouse' has no romantic overtones to it. It just refers to the person u hobnob most of the time at work sharing ur personal details, etc. In fact the reason why it is given a spousal connotation is because some folks believe there is limited romantic liaison after one is married.
FT

Re: ...

by exhydi » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:35 pm

FT wrote:Trust the idiots to twist the connotations into something lurid.

The term 'Office Spouse' has no romantic overtones to it. It just refers to the person u hobnob most of the time at work sharing ur personal details, etc. In fact the reason why it is given a spousal connotation is because some folks believe there is limited romantic liaison after one is married.

IMHO, very few office-spouse relationships remain platonic...especially if there is a lot of travel involved...hotel rooms are perfect setups where two people away from home and bored can easily get into a relationship!
exhydi

Re: Office Spouse-Heard of That?

by papernpens » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:43 pm

Well this is not something new. This has been one of the many "meats" in every relationships. I have met a friend whose husband did the same with an office mate. However, what is really alarming is when the person is spending much time with the office mate and getting to know him/her better than his/her partner. :shock: I guess this isn't wrong as long as you are keeping at the right track, you know well where and when you should hold on- set limits.
papernpens

Re: ...

by Lilyen » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:01 pm

FT wrote:Trust the idiots to twist the connotations into something lurid.

Well do you think that the romantic overtones sometimes do vary? Because I think the definition varies in accordance as to how the "office mates" relate to each other. There are really persons who overact any simply relationships, while others do not. :shock:

“If you don’t have a competitive advantage, don’t compete.”
– Jack Welch
Lilyen

Return to Human Relationships