Monday, 29 April 2024 »  Login
in

Marriage as an institution in the next century

Friendship, love, live-in and extra-marital relationships, marriage, family - share the views of diverse people on everything that makes up life.

Moderator: The Moderator Team

Marriage as an institution in the next century

by MayPeaceBeUponU » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:20 pm

Recently, I came accross this article on BBC about Parthenogensis (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/hi/p ... html/1.stm) so I pulled it up on wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parthenogenesis) and that led me to wonder that its just a metter of time before the process can be extended to humans, which led to wonder what it would do the institution of marriage in future!!

Women (and men) have never been more independent than now and if the need to mate is fulfilled without a mate then where does that leave marriage!!

Would like to know what y'alls view points are. Regards.
MayPeaceBeUponU

by chillypepper » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:49 am

there are score of such report..but marriage is too strong a thing to be broken by modern day science or logic...
chillypepper

by MayPeaceBeUponU » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:02 pm

In my opinion, its only as strong as the level of compatibility, commitment, duty, respect and understanding between two individuals. This thing called "love" (I am yet to understand what it means, and I am no toddler) eventually fades away. Marriage as an institution is man made. Unless one gets married because his/her parents arranged his/her marriage, increasingly individuals these days weigh the pros and cons of reasons why one should get married. And from my perspective if physical &/or emotional dependence and the ability to mate is taken away from the equation, then where does that leave marriage? hence the request for thoughts from readers.
MayPeaceBeUponU

No Opinions??

by MayPeacebeUponU » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:13 pm

Its interesting that so far 53 peope have gone through this post and no one has any opinion that they would like to share!! Come on guys its just a forum where we share our opinions & thoughts, not a court of law where "everything you say will be used against you as evidence".
Be selfish in the matters of the intangible, and selfless with the tangibles
MayPeacebeUponU

by enigma » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:32 pm

I think marriage as an institution is very much essential to build a healthy society. Its an integral part of the civilisation. Marriage would promote the common good by building families and raising children.

The benefits are many: Marriage helps children to do better on every level. A person's health and quality of life improves with marriage. There is an increase in the income level, savings for the future, when we earn as a family which inturn would help the economy of the country. People would learn to respect, live together, bond, develop empathy, face problems with a better thought process and effective decision making. All these aspects of one's personality would evolve to a great degree in the institution of marriage.

Some might argue that the above mentioned arguement can hold good for a person who is single,, it might hold good but not to an extent that marriage provides. If the institution of marriage was not followed then there would have been no difference between dogs and individuals with people let off the hook easily, now an individual thinks twice before doing anything that might offend his/her family or thinks about the reputation factor atleast.

So in a way marriage helps to bind people within certain norms.

On the other hand people who do not want to get into responsibilities, who dont want to deal with financial issues, where to live, jobs, groceries, cooking, cleaning, in-laws, continuing their education, raising children,and decision making may think that keeping out of it is a wise decision but again this list might exist even if one is not married.

Instead marriage would be a better choice in life if one finds a suitable partner. These are a few thoughts that ran through my mind,,,again they might be debatable..
enigma
Level 1 Lord
Level 1 Lord

I am for it

by Aishwarya » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:40 am

There is a need for people to get married and stay loyal, we need people to get them married. Period.

My congrats and best wishes to all the married people, my regards to all those who got them married and all the good luck to those who are about to get married and umm.. to those who are not in any of the above mentioned categories... remember good things happen to good people!!! (hee hee hee)
Aishwarya

by Aishwarya » Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:29 am

Frogs are hermaphrodites. Non mammals such as lizards lay eggs and obviously are not mammals . And there are fishes and insects and other organisms. There are mammals too, like elephants, horses, humans, who give birth and dont lay eggs like lizards. And horses etc mate and have off springs. They don't get married. Are they fiercely independant, like us too? Will parthenogeneses occur in other species as well?

I don't think I am quite getting your point. How is parthenogenes related to women being fiercely independant?
Aishwarya

by Indiabo » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:28 am

Ofcourse women are getting more and more independant from last 3 or more deades how does it affects

According to my anectodal expirience....

Couple= weak + dominating

This is very essential to be......its a must.

If not there is bound to be a unsuccesful marriage.

By unsuccessful I doesnt to mean head you way in Divorce.

I mean simple.......Unhappy couple.
Indiabo

Re: I am for it

by MayPeaceBeUponU » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:32 am

Aishwarya wrote:There is a need for people to get married and stay loyal, we need people to get them married. Period.

... remember good things happen to good people!!! (hee hee hee)

There's a NEED for people to get married?????? and why is that? without sound justification , it seems more like a robotic statement brainwashed into the mind. And "good things happen to good people" - Thats a fairy tale only in disney stories. And you know it. Running short on time so I will back to yours and Indiabo's response later.
Be selfish in the matters of the intangible, and selfless with the tangibles
MayPeaceBeUponU

by Aishwarya » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:38 pm

I think you need to relax a little. PMOW will be able to explain the concept of marriage better. He/She has a great theory on that. I would not be able to do justice to his/her theory, and therefore request him/her to elaborate :) If he/she doesn't get back, pester him/her.. it is worht it. Remember persistance pays!!!
Aishwarya

Return to Human Relationships