Friday, 29 March 2024 »  Login
in

railway reservation made easy

Welcome to the largest Hyderabadi forum on earth! Start discussions about anything from cool eat-outs and value gyms to terrorism, seek help, plan outings, make friends, and generally have fun!

Moderator: The Moderator Team

railway reservation made easy

by peeping tom » Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:36 pm

Hi all guys dont be :evil: or mad by waiting in queues. I give you a simple tip. Go to Begumpet airport , walk in over the south central railway reservation counter. come with ticket in a matter of 5 minutes. 8) I promise you. I am true :idea: But you may have to use some more petrol. thats it.
peeping tom
Level 1 Star User
Level 1 Star User

by Mayavi Morpheus » Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:26 am

I have got a better idea.

Just log in http://www.irctc.co.in/ and buy a ticket online from the comforts of your home. You dont have to waste any gas and cause pollution problems :wink:
Mayavi Morpheus
Level 2 Lord
Level 2 Lord

by JustaLittleUnwell » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:13 am

Yes, this is a practical problem for me. The nearest reservation counter (Maitrivanam, Ameerpet) is always crowded, and I end up driving down to Kukatpally counter (total 1hr up and down) while a wiser thing would have been to wait that 1 hr in Ameerpet :)

How does the online reservation work? Most online services require credit cards, thereby excluding the bulk of users (including myself). And i'm sure we need to book 'n' days before the journey date, to provide for postal / courier delays. Not for impulsive travellers like me....

I wish my bank's ATM would accept my reservation info and spew out the damn ticket after deducting the money from my account. Until then, Kukatpally, here I come :)
JustaLittleUnwell

by Mayavi Morpheus » Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:00 am

You can use debit card instead of credit card and the tickets have to be purchased two days before travel to allow for home delivery. If not, then you have to go to delhi to collect your ticket personally! I think they are going to add or have already added hyderabad to the personal ticket dispensing centers.

There is a list of banks (SBI, ICICI< Punjab bank, Global trust etc) that facilitate online ticket purchase and if you have account in any one of those, you dont need a debit/credit card.

check this page for more info

http://www.irctc.co.in/cgi-bin/bv60.dll/IndianRailways/jsp5/special.jsp?contentOID=8047&cntype=EDITORIAL
Mayavi Morpheus
Level 2 Lord
Level 2 Lord

Online Reservation

by CtrlAltDel » Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:49 am

I am a regular user of the railway online reservation. Its very convenient since the tickets would be couriered to your address the very next day.

You need a credit/debit card of corz, or an account in some selected banks.

Cancellation however is not online as of now. U need to visit the booking counter. The refund is credited to your card account, instead of being handed over as cash.

U need to register yourself and choose a login and password to use the services, much like an email account.
CtrlAltDel

by JustaLittleUnwell » Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:27 am

Mayavi n Ctrl, thanks for your info.

I'm not sure if I'll like the idea of intiating a transaction on the Net and waiting for 2/3 days to know if it worked (what with sarkari babus running the show). Going over to a reservation center and fetching the ticket (even with the waiting time thrown in) or booking through a trust-worthy source like an agent seems more appealing.

Meanwhile, i wish my wonderful ATM idea finds takers :)
Life is what happens to you when you are busy making other plans - John Lennon
JustaLittleUnwell

by Mayavi Morpehus » Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:10 am

waiting for 2/3 days to know if it worked

It all depends on how good your net connection is. Confirmation is prompt. You dont have to wait for 3 days. However ticket dispensal takes time as there is no provision for e-ticket (No unviersal ID cards).

what with sarkari babus running the show

Cynicism(?) is not good.
Mayavi Morpehus
Level 2 Lord
Level 2 Lord

mayavi worries on pollution of Hyderabad

by peeping tom » Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:14 pm

Mayavi Morpheus wrote:I have got a better idea.
Just log in http://www.irctc.co.in/ and buy a ticket online from the comforts of your home. You dont have to waste any gas and cause pollution problems :wink:

Hi , Mr Mayavi, Listen,We are bit busy guys.I usually reserve 2 or 3 days before the journey.(becuause of the unexpected programmes)

I cant wait for the courier guys with burning fear in my stomach and tension. I felt it is extremly comfortable to use the Begumpet airport counter which is almost always empty. :lol:
peeping tom
Level 1 Star User
Level 1 Star User

by JustaLittleUnwell » Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:39 pm

Bhai peeping tom, dont popularize the idea too much :) Certain things need to be kept hush hush or else, even the Airport counter will become like the Maitrivanam counter :) Or worse, the authorities may introduce some beauracratese like requiring to show a flight ticket to be able to book at the airport counter.

Anyways, thanks for the tip. Will try it out next time.
Life is what happens to you when you are busy making other plans - John Lennon
JustaLittleUnwell

by Mayavi Morpheus » Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:26 am

Peeping Tom ji, I never had that problem in the first place. I live around DSNR and there is a computerised reservation coutner there and I can get ticket in like 2 min :wink:
Mayavi Morpheus
Level 2 Lord
Level 2 Lord

Re: railway reservation made easy

by rupalsingh » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:27 am

Hi, Online is a very good medium to book train tickets, I usually prefer the online option to book train tickets, as it is easy and convenient.
rupalsingh

Return to The Hyderabadi Planet!