Tuesday, 14 May 2024 »  Login
in

Build Happy Earth Links!

Welcome to the largest Hyderabadi forum on earth! Start discussions about anything from cool eat-outs and value gyms to terrorism, seek help, plan outings, make friends, and generally have fun!

Moderator: The Moderator Team

AMEN

by HH » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:15 pm

enigma wrote:... *****

MEAN - "deliberately unkind" - BEWARE!

NAME - "If someone's name is MUD, then they have a bad reputation." - NEVER NEVER NEVER

AMEN - "Agree"!. EVER EVER EVER!
Build Heaven & Earth Links!
HH
Level 1 Deity
Level 1 Deity

Paris Is Burning ...

by HH » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:35 am

Paris Is Burning ...

To many of us, the riots that started two weeks ago in France seemed like a “French problem.” We didn’t think they would affect us, and we hoped they’d be over soon. ... we should all be concerned with what is happening in France. As in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina, the underlying reason for the violence is the enormous and growing gap between the world’s richand its poor.

# This is not a passing concern: ...
# In the end, the riots are all about ...
# Unless we are ready to change this in our own lives, it is hypocritical to wish for an end to the violence in France. One day each of us will go from this world to the next, and then the question will not be, “What impact did you have on the global economy?” but “What did you do to help alleviate human suffering? Did you feed the hungry? Did you clothe the naked? Did you visit those in prison? Did you shelter the stranger?” In the end, these are the most important questions. ...

Visit:
http://www.bruderhof.com/articles/jca/p ... e=DailyDig
HH
Level 1 Deity
Level 1 Deity

WORDS AND ACTIONS SHOULD BE THE SAME

by enigma » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:34 pm

WORDS AND ACTIONS SHOULD BE THE SAME

There once was a boy who loved eating sweets. He always asked for sweets from his father. His father was a poor man. He could not always afford sweets for his son. But the little boy did not understand this, and demanded sweets all the time.

The boy's father thought hard about how to stop the child asking for so many sweets. There was a very holy man living nearby at that time. The boy's father had an idea. He decided to take the boy to the great man who might be able to persuade the child to stop asking for sweets all the time.

The boy and his father went along to the great man. The father said to him, "O great saint, could you ask my son to stop asking for sweets which I cannot afford?" The great man was in difficulty, because he liked sweets himself. How could he ask the boy to give up asking for sweets? The holy man told the father to bring his son back after one month.

During that month, the holy man gave up eating sweets, and when the boy and his father returned after a month, the holy man said to the boy "My dear child, will you stop asking for sweets which your father cannot afford to give you?"

From then on, the boy stopped asking for sweets.

The boy's father asked the saint, "Why did you not ask my son to give up asking for sweets when we came to you a month ago?" The saint replied, "How could I ask a boy to give up sweets when I loved sweets myself. In the last month I gave up eating sweets."

A person's example is much more powerful than just his words. When we ask someone to do something, we must do it ourselves also. We should not ask others to do what we do not do ourselves.

Always make sure that your actions and your words are same.
enigma
Level 1 Lord
Level 1 Lord

Do not do Evil to Anyone

by enigma » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:52 pm

Do not do Evil to Anyone

TeenagerThere was a man in Isfahan who used to beat his wife but unfortunately she succumbed to his beating though he had not intended to kill her. But when she was dead he became fearful of her relatives. In a state of anxiety he came out of his house and met an acquaintance to whom he posed his problem.

The friend told him to invite a young man to his house and behead him and put the severed head next to the wife's corpse. Then he would tell the wife's relatives that he had found them together in bed and was unable to control his ire. And slew them both. The man liked the idea and sat at the doorway in anticipation of a young man. After sometime a handsome youth passed by his house. He invited him inside and beheaded him.

Then he summoned the wife's relatives and told them the fictitious story. They were satisfied but the person who had devised this plan had a teenage son who did not reach home that day. The man was worried and when the son failed to turn up he came to the house of the one whom he had offered evil advice and asked him if he carried out the plan suggested by him. Yes, said he and took him near the dead bodies. He was shocked when he saw that the youth he had killed was his own son.

His evil advice caused the death of his own son.

The moral of this story is that one who digs a pit for others falls into it himself. History is replete with such incidents.
enigma
Level 1 Lord
Level 1 Lord

Let Lie With The d-evil ... The DEVIL!

by HH » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:59 am

enigma wrote:... Evil***** ...

***** Let Lie With The d-evil ... The DEVIL!

See Well
Wish Well
Do Well
Live WELL!
HH
Level 1 Deity
Level 1 Deity

by bela » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:06 am

bela
Level 1 Lord
Level 1 Lord

Strong link between short children and behavioural problems

by HH » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:27 am

Growth hormone does more than make people taller ... Strong link between short children and behavioural problems.

Visit:
http://www.exn.ca/Stories/1998/09/01/51.asp
HH
Level 1 Deity
Level 1 Deity

Books, Books ... & Books!

by HH » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:27 am

HH
Level 1 Deity
Level 1 Deity

Stress Management ...

by HH » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:19 pm

Image Image

Stress Management ...

A lecturer, when explaining stress management to an audience,
raised a glass of water and asked,

"how heavy is this glass of water? "

Answers

called out ranged from 20g to 500g.

The lecturer replied,

"The absolute weight doesn't matter.

It depends on how long you try to hold it.

"If I hold it for a minute, that's not a problem.

If I hold it for an hour,

I'll have an ache in my right arm.

If I hold it for a day,

you'll have to call an ambulance.

"In each case, it's the same weight,

but the longer I hold it, the heavier it becomes. "

He continued,

"And that's the way it is with stress management.

If we carry our burdens all the time, sooner or later,

as the burden becomes increasingly heavy,

we won't be able to carry on. "

"As with the glass of water,

you have to put it down for a while

and rest before holding it again.

When we're refreshed, we can carry on with the burden. "

"So, before you return home tonight,

put the burden of work down.

Don't carry it home.

You can pick it up tomorrow.

Whatever burdens you're carrying now,

let them down for a moment if you can. "

"Relax; pick them up later after you've rested."

Life is short.

Enjoy it!

Courtesy:
"Ullal, Harin" <Harin_Ullal@nrel.gov>

Also, Visit:
http://www.stress-solutions.info/stress.asp
HH
Level 1 Deity
Level 1 Deity

Tips To TOP

by HH » Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:01 pm

Tips To TOP

WHOEVER SAID success is a journey, not a destination knew what he/she was talking about.

The parameters vary as aspirations translate into reality, creating new benchmarks for that ultimate object.

In the case of Vishwanand Pattar, he first wanted to get a Master's in Life Sciences. Trailing close behind was his magnificent obsession for a postgraduate degree in English literature, and then it was Software and Environmental engineering that enamoured him. Painting and philosophy were the next areas of pursuit. In his free time, he has been a poet, a lyricist, a teacher, a cartoonist and a writer.

With his success in these diverse fields, Pattaris certainly competent to motivate others. In fact, he was doing precisely that by training and conducting seminars to help students and corporate executives plan for their career growth, regularly for the past five years in different parts of the country. ...
Welcome to success! Farewell to failure! - Book

* "The book is extremely useful for individuals who are dejected by repeated failures - dejected applicants for jobs, disqualified from competitions, disappointed for not having been chosen in a desired organisation, dissatisfied with work, disturbed about personal developments, and those disheartened by set-backs," Pattar comments. Welcome to success! Farewell to failure! is a must read for students, unemployed, professionals, businessmen, housewives and almost anyone who wants to be successful and happy in life and career. "It is a step-by-step preparation for success," Pattar says.

... The book helps one make right and timely decisions to enjoy work and lead a happy life. Management of stress, memory and anger as well as developing the spiritual quotient to improve the quality of life are value additions. Courage and confidence are also dealt with in the 333-page book that adopts a 12-pronged approach to prepare one for happiness and success. "To kick the ball of ambition into the goal of success successfully, is the point I wanted to drive home through the book," the author says.

The book is priced at Rs 298 ...
- SOUVIK CHOWDHURY

Visit:
http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/thsc ... 3/&prd=mp&
HH
Level 1 Deity
Level 1 Deity

Peter F Drucker: My Life as a Knowledge Worker

by HH » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:12 am

Remembering Peter F Drucker, Management Thinker ...

Peter F Drucker wrote:Image Image

My Life as a Knowledge Worker

The leading management thinker describes seven personal experiences that taught him how to grow, to change, and to age--without becoming a prisoner of the past

I was not yet 18 when, having finished high school, I left my native Vienna and went to Hamburg as a trainee in a cotton-export firm. My father was not very happy. Ours had been a family of civil servants, professors, lawyers, and physicians for a very long time. He therefore wanted me to be a full-time university student, but I was tired of being a schoolboy and wanted to go to work. To appease my father, but without any serious intention, I enrolled at Hamburg University in the law faculty. In those remote days--the year was 1927--one did not have to attend classes to be a perfectly proper university student. All one had to do to obtain a university degree was to pay a small annual fee and show up for an exam at the end of four years.

THE FIRST EXPERIENCE
Taught by Verdi

The work at the export firm was terribly boring, and I learned very little. Work began at 7:30 in the morning and was over at 4 in the afternoon on weekdays and at noon on Saturdays. So I had lots of free time. Once a week I went to the opera.

On one of those evenings I went to hear an opera by the great 19th-century Italian composer, Giuseppe Verdi--the last opera he wrote, Falstaff. It has now become one of Verdi's most popular operas, but it was rarely performed then. Both singers and audiences thought it too difficult. I was totally overwhelmed by it. Although I had heard a great many operas, I had never heard anything like that. I have never forgotten the impression that evening made on me.

When I made a study, I found that this opera, with its gaiety, its zest for life, and its incredible vitality, was written by a man of 80! To me 80 was an incredible age. Then I read what Verdi himself had written when he was asked why, at that age, when he was already a famous man and considered one of the foremost opera composers of his century, he had taken on the hard work of writing one more opera, and an exceedingly demanding one. "All my life as a musician," he wrote, "I have striven for perfection. It has always eluded me. I surely had an obligation to make one more try."

I have never forgotten those words--they made an indelible impression on me. When he was 18 Verdi was already a seasoned musician. I had no idea what I would become, except that I knew by that time that I was unlikely to be a success exporting cotton textiles. But I resolved that whatever my life's work would be, Verdi's words would be my lodestar. I resolved that if I ever reached an advanced age, I would not give up but would keep on. In the meantime I would strive for perfection, even though, as I well knew, it would surely always elude me.

THE SECOND EXPERIENCE
Taught by Phidias

It was at about this same time, and also in Hamburg during my stay as a trainee, that I read a story that conveyed to me what perfection means. It is a story of the greatest sculptor of ancient Greece, Phidias. He was commissioned around 440 b.c. to make the statues that to this day stand on the roof of the Parthenon, in Athens. They are considered among the greatest sculptures of the Western tradition, but when Phidias submitted his bill, the city accountant of Athens refused to pay it. "These statues," the accountant said, "stand on the roof of the temple, and on the highest hill in Athens. Nobody can see anything but their fronts. Yet you have charged us for sculpting them in the round--that is, for doing their back sides, which nobody can see."

"You are wrong," Phidias retorted. "The gods can see them." I read this, as I remember, shortly after I had listened to Falstaff, and it hit me hard. I have not always lived up to it. I have done many things that I hope the gods will not notice, but I have always known that one has to strive for perfection even if only the gods notice.

THE THIRD EXPERIENCE
Taught by Journalism

A few years later I moved to Frankfurt. I worked first as a trainee in a brokerage firm. Then, after the New York stock-market crash, in October 1929, when the brokerage firm went bankrupt, I was hired on my 20th birthday by Frankfurt's largest newspaper as a financial and foreign-affairs writer. I continued to be enrolled as a law student at the university because in those days one could easily transfer from one European university to any other. I still was not interested in the law, but I remembered the lessons of Verdi and of Phidias. A journalist has to write about many subjects, so I decided I had to know something about many subjects to be at least a competent journalist.

The newspaper I worked for came out in the afternoon. We began work at 6 in the morning and finished by a quarter past 2 in the afternoon, when the last edition went to press. So I began to force myself to study afternoons and evenings: international relations and international law; the history of social and legal institutions; finance; and so on. Gradually, I developed a system. I still adhere to it. Every three or four years I pick a new subject. It may be Japanese art; it may be economics. Three years of study are by no means enough to master a subject, but they are enough to understand it. So for more than 60 years I have kept on studying one subject at a time. That not only has given me a substantial fund of knowledge. It has also forced me to be open to new disciplines and new approaches and new methods--for every one of the subjects I have studied makes different assumptions and employs a different methodology.

THE FOURTH EXPERIENCE
Taught by an Editor-in-Chief

The next experience to report in this story of keeping myself intellectually alive and growing is something that was taught by an editor-in-chief, one of Europe's leading newspapermen. The editorial staff at the newspaper consisted of very young people. At age 22 I became one of the three assistant managing editors. The reason was not that I was particularly good. In fact, I never became a first-rate daily journalist. But in those years, around 1930, the people who should have held the kind of position I had--people age 35 or so--were not available in Europe. They had been killed in World War I. Even highly responsible positions had to be filled by young people like me.

The editor-in-chief, then around 50, took infinite pains to train and discipline his young crew. He discussed with each of us every week the work we had done. Twice a year, right after New Year's and then again before summer vacations began in June, we would spend a Saturday afternoon and all of Sunday discussing our work over the preceding six months. The editor would always start out with the things we had done well. Then he would proceed to the things we had tried to do well. Next he reviewed the things where we had not tried hard enough. And finally, he would subject us to a scathing critique of the things we had done badly or had failed to do. The last two hours of that session would then serve as a projection of our work for the next six months: What were the things on which we should concentrate? What were the things we should improve? What were the things each of us needed to learn? And a week later each of us was expected to submit to the editor-in-chief our new program of work and learning for the next six months. I tremendously enjoyed the sessions, but I forgot them as soon as I left the paper.

Almost 10 years later, after I had come to the United States, I remembered them. It was in the early 1940s, after I had become a senior professor, started my own consulting practice, and begun to publish major books. Since then I have set aside two weeks every summer in which to review my work during the preceding year, beginning with the things I did well but could or should have done better, down to the things I did poorly and the things I should have done but did not do. I decide what my priorities should be in my consulting work, in my writing, and in my teaching. I have never once truly lived up to the plan I make each August, but it has forced me to live up to Verdi's injunction to strive for perfection, even though "it has always eluded me" and still does.

THE FIFTH EXPERIENCE
Taught by a Senior Partner

My next learning experience came a few years after my experience on the newspaper. From Frankfurt I moved to London in 1933, first working as a securities analyst in a large insurance company and then, a year later, moving to a small but fast-growing private bank as an economist and the executive secretary to the three senior partners. One, the founder, was a man in his seventies; the two others were in their midthirties. At first I worked exclusively with the two younger men, but after I had been with the firm some three months or so, the founder called me into his office and said, "I didn't think much of you when you came here and still don't think much of you, but you are even more stupid than I thought you would be, and much more stupid than you have any right to be." Since the two younger partners had been praising me to the skies each day, I was dumbfounded.

And then the old gentlemen said, "I understand you did very good securities analysis at the insurance company. But if we had wanted you to do securities-analysis work, we would have left you where you were. You are now the executive secretary to the partners, yet you continue to do securities analysis. What should you be doing now, to be effective in your new job?" I was furious, but still I realized that the old man was right. I totally changed my behavior and my work. Since then, when I have a new assignment, I ask myself the question, "What do I need to do, now that I have a new assignment, to be effective?" Every time, it is something different. Discovering what it is requires concentration on the things that are crucial to the new challenge, the new job, the new task.

THE SIXTH EXPERIENCE
Taught by the Jesuits and the Calvinists

Quite a few years later, around 1945, after I had moved from England to the United States in 1937, I picked for my three-year study subject early modern European history, especially the 15th and 16th centuries. I found that two European institutions had become dominant forces in Europe: the Jesuit Order in the Catholic South and the Calvinist Church in the Protestant North. Both were founded independently in 1536. Both adopted the same learning discipline.

Whenever a Jesuit priest or a Calvinist pastor does anything of significance--making a key decision, for instance--he is expected to write down what results he anticipates. Nine months later he traces back from the actual results to those anticipations. That very soon shows him what he did well and what his strengths are. It also shows him what he has to learn and what habits he has to change. Finally, it shows him what he has no gift for and cannot do well. I have followed that method for myself now for 50 years. It brings out what one's strengths are--and that is the most important thing an individual can know about himself or herself. It brings out areas where improvement is needed and suggests what kind of improvement is needed. Finally, it brings out things an individual cannot do and therefore should not even try to do. To know one's strengths, to know how to improve them, and to know what one cannot do--they are the keys to continuous learning.

THE SEVENTH EXPERIENCE
Taught by Schumpeter

One more experience, and then I am through with the story of my personal development. At Christmas 1949, when I had just begun to teach management at New York University, my father, then 73 years old, came to visit us from California. Right after New Year's, on January 3, 1950, he and I went to visit an old friend of his, the famous economist Joseph Schumpeter. My father had already retired, but Schumpeter, then 66 and world famous, was still teaching at Harvard and was very active as the president of the American Economic Association.

In 1902 my father was a very young civil servant in the Austrian Ministry of Finance, but he also did some teaching in economics at the university. Thus he had come to know Schumpeter, who was then, at age 19, the most brilliant of the young students. Two more-different people are hard to imagine: Schumpeter was flamboyant, arrogant, abrasive, and vain; my father was quiet, the soul of courtesy, and modest to the point of being self-effacing. Still, the two became fast friends and remained fast friends.

By 1949 Schumpeter had become a very different person. In his last year of teaching at Harvard, he was at the peak of his fame. The two old men had a wonderful time together, reminiscing about the old days. Suddenly, my father asked with a chuckle, "Joseph, do you still talk about what you want to be remembered for?" Schumpeter broke out in loud laughter. For Schumpeter was notorious for having said, when he was 30 or so and had published the first two of his great economics books, that what he really wanted to be remembered for was having been "Europe's greatest lover of beautiful women and Europe's greatest horseman--and perhaps also the world's greatest economist." Schumpeter said, "Yes, this question is still important to me, but I now answer it differently. I want to be remembered as having been the teacher who converted half a dozen brilliant students into first-rate economists."

He must have seen an amazed look on my father's face, because he continued, "You know, Adolph, I have now reached the age where I know that being remembered for books and theories is not enough. One does not make a difference unless it is a difference in the lives of people." One reason my father had gone to see Schumpeter was that it was known that the economist was very sick and would not live long. Schumpeter died five days after we visited him.

I have never forgotten that conversation. I learned from it three things: First, one has to ask oneself what one wants to be remembered for. Second, that should change. It should change both with one's own maturity and with changes in the world. Finally, one thing worth being remembered for is the difference one makes in the lives of people.

I am telling this long story for a simple reason. All the people I know who have managed to remain effective during a long life have learned pretty much the same things I learned. That applies to effective business executives and to scholars, to top-ranking military people and to first-rate physicians, to teachers and to artists. Whenever I work with a person, I try to find out to what the individual attributes his or her success. I am invariably told stories that are remarkably like mine.

[i]Adapted from Drucker on Asia: The Drucker-Nakauchi Dialogue , by Peter F. Drucker and Isao Nakauchi, copyright © 1996. Reprinted with permission of Butterworth Heinemann, a division of Reed Educational and Professional Publishing Ltd. All rights reserved. Peter F. Drucker is Clarke Professor of Social Science and Management at Claremont Graduate School, in California. He can be reached by fax at 909-626-7366.[/b]

Visit:
http://www.peter-drucker.com/
HH
Level 1 Deity
Level 1 Deity

A Tribute to late Peter Drucker

by HH » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:19 pm

Peter F Drucker, Management Thinker ...

A Tribute to late Peter Drucker - Subroto Bagchi

Peter Drucker has moved on. The father of modern management, the philosopher to the business world, the man who saw tomorrow and also the day after. He was the most prolific and impactful writer on management—spanning several decades. In all this, his greatness leaves behind a vacuum that will be difficult to fill up anytime soon.

We'll miss his simplicity. With all the wisdom of the world, it took this man to tell us for the first time that people are the most important resource of any corporation. Imagine, the world of business had not realised that simple fact! It was capital, not people, that was centrestage. It was capital, not thinking human beings, which determined productivity, differentiation, profits and all that the world of business is made of. The day Drucker said we've just missed the exit, the whole world changed. That simple sentence went on to define the basic tenet of enterprise. Where did this man get his simplicity from? For this Austrian journalist-turned-business philosopher, it was something he came gifted with. All of us who have ever tried to be simple know how difficult it can be. Yet the most profound things in life are so simple they invariably escape us. Consider this: Drucker said most of us, much of the time are trying to 'solve' problems but most problems in life cannot be solved. You can only stay ahead of them. Too often, leadership gets so focused on solving problems that in reality, it begins to feed them and in the process starves the various opportunities that may actually be just sitting out there. If you look at the history of our civilisation, if you look at the points of triumph in our own lives, you would find that disproportionate progress has always been the child of chasing an opportunity as against feeding a problem.

For Drucker, today's organisations completely underestimate the power of volunteerism. In reality, most organisations do not understand the concept and have never harnessed this important aspect of people's innate capability to achieve. If we look at the history of humanity again, we would find that the greatest achievements the most pervasive and impacting acts have always been the acts of volunteerism. From the Indian freedom movement to the spread of religions to the greatest acts of discovery and innovation, people have done their best whenever it's come from within. True involvement and sustained impact are neither dictated by the system nor is a Pavlovian response to material gratification. Drucker's thought on volunteerism becomes even more profound in the digitally integrated world in which oversight must be increasingly replaced by self-regulation in every field. As that new reality unfolds, would organisations just pray that it works in their favour? Or do they have to eat a different breakfast so that they do not get disenfranchised by the worker of the future? It is the worker of the future who would decide what to give to the organisation and in what measure. If the organisation lays down the service level agreement (SLA), it would get back only that much. So how do leaders of tomorrow make sure that people contribute the productivity, the differentiation and the profits to help the organisation stay ahead? Material incentives, said Drucker, work only in good times. More than ever before, we will hear about the value-centered workplace with the emergence of the volunteer worker. Drucker said it is values that save us from breaking apart. To him, any form of growth is inherently destructive. All growth is a tussle between centripetal forces that want to hold on to the core versus centrifugal forces that want to explore the extremities. The key issue for leaders, therefore, becomes: how do you grow? It was Drucker who said, forget all management, look at mother nature.After all, no one has ever handled growth the way she has. For instance, when she needed to create moving beings, she found out the most optimal way of doing it right. She figured out that moving beings should be symmetric at the poles. Thereafter, she kept the concept of 'polar symmetry' as a constant and changed everything else around it. Using the principle of polar symmetry, she created the two-legged human being, countless four-legged animals and even the centipede! "What," asks Drucker, "is polar symmetry for organisations?" It is values. If we keep values constant, we can grow without breaking apart. It is true of the family, the society, the corporation and even the government itself. Drucker was not without his critics. There have always been people who said he would often retrofit theory to deliver his simplistic views. There have been people who have been cynical of his concern for the larger good—often suspecting populism as his driver. But the truth is, no one has been able to come close enough, no one has been able to deliver a credible alternative to all that he stood for. His work remains a collective treasure of mankind. A towering statesman and a management/business philosopher our world will miss for a long, long time.

Courtesy: http://www.outlookindia.com

[/quote]
HH
Level 1 Deity
Level 1 Deity

Leaders Vs Managers

by HH » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:56 pm

Leaders Vs Managers

Leaders Vs Managers - SHYAMOLA KHANNA

PETER DRUCKER, the eminent management guru, says that most organisations are being managed too much and not led enough - which brings us to the question: Can all managers be leaders and all leaders managers? For many of you out there who thought that the two terms were interchangeable, here is food for thought— they are not!

The term `manager' refers to a person who `looks after' or manages people, materiel resources, logistics etc. The word is of fairly recent origin. He may or may not be a leader of men. Some managers are content to do their work without going out of their way while a manager who is a leader will be concerned about his team and this concern is what touches people/subordinates.

Leaders and Managers

Briefly, let us identify the differences between managers and leaders:

Leaders have charisma, managers are more real everyday people

Leaders apparently have great vision and can raise the aspirations and expectations of their followers. Managers are expected to use logic, reasoning, prior education, etc. to analyse a situation.

Leaders are more involved with the team they lead, in more ways than one while managers tend to be more work-oriented and less personal

Within the corporate scenario, managers and leaders can coexist happily, provided they are identified and allowed to function within the laid down parameters. The corporate world looks for leadership qualities in its top honchos so that they could be given positions of authority without losing valuable people and of course, without losing business.

The Transition

Can a workaday manager become a leader of men? Is it possible to make the transition without too much of a fuss? It is obvious that a manager cannot suddenly acquire charisma but can work on acquiring some kind of skill required to lead his team. You have three types of leaders to choose from. Check for yourself which one suits you the best:

Authoritarian - Dominating, autocratic and insecure. This guy is definitely not respected by his subordinates

Participative - Democratic, respected and secure but weak. This guy runs a happy and satisfied team which may not necessarily be effectively productive

Nurturing Task Leader - Active, strong, firm, encouraging and appreciative of subordinates' activities. This guy is the effective one because he is firm, yet is not autocratic and dominating!

Now, for all practical purposes, it is obvious that the third type would be the best. If you happen to be an authoritarian person by nature and love to dominate the scene, then you have to learn to relax and be more accepting of other people's views. This cannot happen overnight. It is something that requires a lot of practice and patience, but then if you want the top job, you could acquire the virtue! But one thing is sure; an authoritarian manager is no longer the last word. If you do not change, then you will be as dated as the dodo!

A participative or democratic manager can become a better leader of his men if he can manage to keep a firm check on the bottom line. He has to produce the goods; it is not enough to have a happy team! So, with a little toughening up, the changeover can be easy. The basics are already in place but a streamlining of the attitude will make the difference! Well, the ideal leadership qualities can be ingrained in one, if the mind is willing to accept and change for the betterment of the individual.

The Other Side Of The Coin

What about the subordinates' views about or expectations from the leader? What are the qualities that the younger person is looking for? In the Indian scenario, we place a great deal of value on emotional ties. We look for a big brother to learn from or to look up to. So, a subordinate wants nurturing, personal attention and help from superiors in problem solving. He wants to be recognised and appreciated. He wants his leader to know him and understand his problems also— more of a role of a confidant or a big brother. He wants mutual trust and transparency as well. At the same time, when he does his bit well, he is also looking for due credits - nothing fancy, maybe just a few kind words of appreciation!

Now that you have both sides of the story, care to become a leader or are you happy being a manager?

Visit:
http://www.thehindu.com/thehindu/jobs/0 ... 300500.htm

Helping Leaders and Managers Communicate - Davis & Company

Every leader—from CEO to division head to facility leader—has a pivotal role in communication: to articulate where the organization is heading, provide direction for how to get there, and share progress and accomplishments. When leaders fulfill this role, managers follow suit, and employees become engaged.

Managers have a different communication role: to translate organization messages to “what this means to us.” By doing so, managers create focus, stimulate learning and motivate their employees.

Although it’s clear what leaders and managers should do to communicate effectively, they often fall short: Lack of clarity, little time, uneven skills and spotty accountability all work against even the best intentions.

Davis & Company has supported many organizations to help leaders and managers communicate ...

Visit:
http://www.davisandco.com/services/man_ ... aders.html
HH
Level 1 Deity
Level 1 Deity

HAPPY EARTH ...

by HH » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:03 pm

HH
Level 1 Deity
Level 1 Deity

HAPPY SATURDAY ...

by HH » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:59 pm

HH
Level 1 Deity
Level 1 Deity

Happy LAUGHTER!

by HH » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:53 pm

Happy LAUGHTER!

Look On The Bright Side

Visit:
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/10/ ... m=storyrhs
HH
Level 1 Deity
Level 1 Deity

Happy KITE!

by HH » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:36 pm

HH
Level 1 Deity
Level 1 Deity

Simply Happy

by HH » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:52 pm

Simply Happy - SIMPLY UZBEK Barrette ...

“Look at the trees, look at the birds, look at the clouds, look at the stars … and if you have eyes you will be able to see that the whole of existence is joyful. Everything is simply happy. Trees are happy for no reason, they are not going to become prime ministers or presidents and they are not going to become rich and they will never have any bank balance. Look at the flowers – for no reason. It is simply unbelievable how happy the flowers are.”

- “Love, Freedom, Aloneness” by Osho

Visit:
http://www.gwtw-kites.com/events/wsikf2 ... enteen.asp
HH
Level 1 Deity
Level 1 Deity

A HUSBAND’S CROWN

by HH » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:08 pm

Image - Crown Jewel of India

A HUSBAND’S CROWN - "“A wife of noble character is her husband’s crown ...”

Solomon said, “A wife of noble character… is worth more than rubies. Her husband has full ... confidence in her…she brings him good … all the days of her life… she watches over the affairs of her household… her children arise and call her blessed; her husband … praises her. Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD shall be praised. Give her the reward she has earned and let her works bring her praise …”

Someone has said, “Behind every successful man is a good woman.” I would agree. A woman, in her desire, to make her husband “look good,” brings honor to herself. Her goal is not self-promotion. She is not motivated by self-importance or selfishness. Her motivation is love and strength of character. She is willing to “take a back seat” so to speak because she knows who she is. In the process her worth becomes evident to all.

Company presidents are praised and receive honors but who makes them look good? It is the secretaries and workers that bring them honor. Without those behind the scenes, the presidents would be hard pressed to make an impression on anyone.

Orchestra conductors receive the applause but without the musicians and their consistent practice the conductor would have no cause for appreciation.

It is seldom the person “up-front” that deserves the credit, although they receive it. It is usually the person who plays second fiddle who deserves the most credit. And the wise president, conductor and husband will see that credit is given where credit is due.

A man need not feel superior to his wife. She is not his slave; she is his partner, his co-equal. Just because a man has a leadership role does not make him superior to his partner. In fact, it is most likely the partner who is making him look good.
- Image - Willetta Pilcher

Visit:
http://theseedsower.org/pMach/more.php?id=993_0_1_20_M1
HH
Level 1 Deity
Level 1 Deity

Man's Worth ...

by HH » Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:57 pm

The world does not suffice for the right judgment of man’s worth. Although, physically, he is a small body, through his mental and spiritual faculties he embraces the whole of the universe. His acts do not relate only to the visible world and cannot be restricted by time and space. He has so universal a nature that even the acts of the first man has effects on the life and character of the last man, on the whole of existence. To restrict man, as materialists do, to a physical entity and to a very short part of time and a limited part of space, is the worst of insolence to man and inappreciation of him. The scales of this world cannot weigh the intellectual and spiritual value of the Messengers and their achievements, nor can they weigh the measure of the destruction caused by world-notorious individuals like Pharaoh, Nero, Hitler, Stalin and the like. The scales of this world cannot weigh the true value of a sincere belief and moral qualities. With what can you reward a martyr who has sacrificed himself, his world, for God’s sake, for the sake of others or for the sake of some universal human values like justice and truthfulness. With what can you reward a believing scientist who has dedicated himself to the service of humanity and made an invention from which the whole of mankind will benefit until the Last Day? It is only the scales of the other world, scales, which can weigh even an atom’s weight of good and an atom’s weight of evil that can do so.

Visit:
http://www.mlife.org/resurrection/suffi ... dgment.htm
HH
Level 1 Deity
Level 1 Deity

TSUNAMI ... Coastal People Suffered ... Helped Wonderfully

by HH » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:12 pm

TSUNAMI ... Coastal People Suffered ... Those Nearby ... Inshore ... Helped Wonderfully ... Special India ... Wonderful India ... Great INDIA!

Visit:
http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=tsuna ... p?link=266
HH
Level 1 Deity
Level 1 Deity

"Happy New Year!" ... There Are 357.3 Days Until 2

by HH » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:25 pm

"Happy New Year!" ... - There Are 357.3 Days Until 2007!

It's Another New Year... - ...but for what reason?

"Happy New Year!" ...

But the day celebrated as New Year's Day in modern America was not always January 1.

ANCIENT NEW YEARS
The celebration of the new year is the oldest of all holidays. It was first observed in ancient Babylon about 4000 years ago. In the years around 2000 BC, the Babylonian New Year began with the first New Moon (actually the first visible cresent) after the Vernal Equinox (first day of spring).

The beginning of spring is a logical time to start a new year. After all, it is the season of rebirth, of planting new crops, and of blossoming. January 1, on the other hand, has no astronomical nor agricultural significance. It is purely arbitrary.

The Babylonian new year celebration lasted for eleven days. Each day had its own particular mode of celebration, but it is safe to say that modern New Year's Eve festivities pale in comparison.

The Romans continued to observe the new year in late March, but their calendar was continually tampered with by various emperors so that the calendar soon became out of synchronization with the sun.

In order to set the calendar right, the Roman senate, in 153 BC, declared January 1 to be the beginning of the new year. But tampering continued until Julius Caesar, in 46 BC, established what has come to be known as the Julian Calendar. It again established January 1 as the new year. But in order to synchronize the calendar with the sun, Caesar had to let the previous year drag on for 445 days. ...

Visit:
http://wilstar.com/holidays/newyear.htm
HH
Level 1 Deity
Level 1 Deity

Tatas

by HH » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:34 am

Lakshmi Mittal.......on Tatas...

I visited Jamshedpur over the weekend to see for myself an India that is fast disappearing despite all the wolf-cries of people like Narayanamurthy and his ilk. It is one thing to talk and quite another to do and I am delighted to tell you that Ratan Tata has kept alive the legacy of perhaps Indias finest industrialist J.N. Tata*****. Something that some people doubted when Ratan took over the House of the Tatas but in hindsight, the best thing to have happened to the Tatas is unquestionably Ratan. I was amazed to see the extent of corporate philanthropy and this is no exaggeration.

For the breed that talks about corporate social responsibility and talks about the role of corporate India, a visit to Jamshedpur is a must. Go there and see the amount of money they pump into keeping the town going; see the smiling faces of workers in a region known for industrial unrest; see the standard of living in a city that is almost isolated from the mess in the rest of the country.

This is not meant to be a puff piece. I have nothing to do with Tata Steel, but I strongly believe the message of hope and the message of goodness that they are spreading is worth sharing. The fact that you do have companies in India which look at workers as human beings and who do not blow their software trumpet of having changed lives. In fact, I asked Mr Muthurman, the managing director, as to why he was so quiet about all they had done and all he could offer in return was a smile wrapped in humility, which said it all.

They have done so much more since I last visited Jamshedpur, which was in 1992. The town has obviously got busier but the values thankfully haven't changed. The food is still as amazing as it always was and I gorged, as I would normally do. I visited the plant and the last time I did that was with Russi Mody.

But the plant this time was gleaming and far from what it used to be. Greener and cleaner and a tribute to environment management. You could have been in the mountains. Such was the quality of air I inhaled! There was no belching smoke; no tired faces and so many more women workers, even on the shop floor. This is true gender equality and not the kind that is often espoused at seminars organized by angry activists. I met so many old friends. Most of them have aged but not grown old. There was a spring in the air which came from a certain calmness which has always been the hallmark of Jamshedpur and something I savoured for a full two days in between receiving messages of how boring and decrepit the Lacklustre Fashion Weak was. It is at times such as this that our city lives seem so meaningless. Jamsetji Nusserwanji Tata had created an edifice that is today a robust company and it is not about profits and about valuation. It is not about who becomes a millionaire and who doesnt'. It is about getting the job done with dignity and respect keeping the age-old values intact and this is what I learnt.

I jokingly asked someone as to whether they ever thought of joining an Infosys or a Wipro and pat came the reply: "We are not interested in becoming crorepatis but in making others crorepatis." Which is exactly what the Tatas have done for years in and around Jamshedpur. Very few people know that Jamshedpur has been selected as a UN Global Compact City, edging out the other nominee from India, Bangalore. Selected because of the quality of life, because of the conditions of sanitation and roads and welfare. If this is not a tribute to industrial India, then what is? Today, Indian needs several Jamshedpurs but it also needs this Jamshedpur to be given its fair due, its recognition. I am tired of campus visits being publicised to the Infosys and the Wipros of the world. Modern India is being built in Jamshedpur***** as we speak. An India built on the strength of core convictions and nothing was more apparent about that than the experiment with truth and reality that Tata Steel is conducting at Pipla.

Forty-eight tribal girls (yes, tribal girls who these corrupt and evil politicians only talk about but do nothing for) are being educated through a residential program over nine months. I went to visit them and I spoke to them in a language that they have just learnt: Bengali. Eight weeks go, they could only speak in Sainthali, their local dialect. But today, they are brimming with a confidence that will bring tears to your eyes. It did to mine.

One of them has just been selected to represent Jharkand in the state archery competition. They have their own womens football team and whats more they are now fond of education. It is a passion and not a burden. This was possible because I guess people like Ratan Tata and Muthurman havent sold their souls to some business management drivel, which tells us that we must only do business and nothing else. The fact that not one Tata executive has been touched by the Naxalites in that area talks about the social respect that the Tatas have earned.

The Tatas do not need this piece to be praised and lauded. My intent is to share the larger picture that we so often miss in the haze of the slime and sleaze that politics imparts. My submission to those who use phrases such as "feel-good" and "India Shining" is first visit Jamshedpur to understand what it all means. See Tata Steel in action to know what companies can do if they wish to. And what corporate India needs to do. Murli Manohar Joshi would be better off seeing what Tata Steel has done by creating the Xavier Institute of Tribal Education rather than by proffering excuses forthe imbroglio in the IIMs. This is where the Advanis and Vajpayees need to pay homage. Not to all the Sai Babas and the Hugging saints that they are so busy with. India is changing inspite of them and they need to realise that.

I couldn't have spent a more humane and wonderful weekend. Jamshedpur is an eye-opener and a role model, which should be made mandatory for replication. I saw corporate India actually participate in basic nation-building, for when these tribal girls go back to their villages, they will return with knowledge that will truly be life-altering.

Corporate India can do it but most of the time is willing to shy away. For those corporate leaders who are happier winning awards and being interviewed on their choice of clothes, my advise is visit Tata Steel, spend some days at Jamshedpur and see a nation's transformation. That is true service and true nationalism.

Tata Steel***** will celebrate 100 years of existence in 2007*****. It won't be just a milestone in this company's history. It will be a milestone, to my mind of corporate transparency and generosity in this country. It is indeed fitting that Ratan Tata***** today heads a group which has people who are committed to nation-building than just building inflluence andpower. JRD must be smiling wherever he is. And so must Jamsetji Nusserwanji. These people today, have literally climbed every last blue mountain. And continue to do so with vigour and passion. Thank god for the Tatas!

"AK" <ak47rao@gmail.com>

***** Image Image Image
HH
Level 1 Deity
Level 1 Deity

Tatas

by HH » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:36 am

Lakshmi Mittal.......on Tatas...

I visited Jamshedpur over the weekend to see for myself an India that is fast disappearing despite all the wolf-cries of people like Narayanamurthy and his ilk. It is one thing to talk and quite another to do and I am delighted to tell you that Ratan Tata has kept alive the legacy of perhaps Indias finest industrialist J.N. Tata*****. Something that some people doubted when Ratan took over the House of the Tatas but in hindsight, the best thing to have happened to the Tatas is unquestionably Ratan. I was amazed to see the extent of corporate philanthropy and this is no exaggeration.

For the breed that talks about corporate social responsibility and talks about the role of corporate India, a visit to Jamshedpur is a must. Go there and see the amount of money they pump into keeping the town going; see the smiling faces of workers in a region known for industrial unrest; see the standard of living in a city that is almost isolated from the mess in the rest of the country.

This is not meant to be a puff piece. I have nothing to do with Tata Steel, but I strongly believe the message of hope and the message of goodness that they are spreading is worth sharing. The fact that you do have companies in India which look at workers as human beings and who do not blow their software trumpet of having changed lives. In fact, I asked Mr Muthurman, the managing director, as to why he was so quiet about all they had done and all he could offer in return was a smile wrapped in humility, which said it all.

They have done so much more since I last visited Jamshedpur, which was in 1992. The town has obviously got busier but the values thankfully haven't changed. The food is still as amazing as it always was and I gorged, as I would normally do. I visited the plant and the last time I did that was with Russi Mody.

But the plant this time was gleaming and far from what it used to be. Greener and cleaner and a tribute to environment management. You could have been in the mountains. Such was the quality of air I inhaled! There was no belching smoke; no tired faces and so many more women workers, even on the shop floor. This is true gender equality and not the kind that is often espoused at seminars organized by angry activists. I met so many old friends. Most of them have aged but not grown old. There was a spring in the air which came from a certain calmness which has always been the hallmark of Jamshedpur and something I savoured for a full two days in between receiving messages of how boring and decrepit the Lacklustre Fashion Weak was. It is at times such as this that our city lives seem so meaningless. Jamsetji Nusserwanji Tata had created an edifice that is today a robust company and it is not about profits and about valuation. It is not about who becomes a millionaire and who doesnt'. It is about getting the job done with dignity and respect keeping the age-old values intact and this is what I learnt.

I jokingly asked someone as to whether they ever thought of joining an Infosys or a Wipro and pat came the reply: "We are not interested in becoming crorepatis but in making others crorepatis." Which is exactly what the Tatas have done for years in and around Jamshedpur. Very few people know that Jamshedpur has been selected as a UN Global Compact City, edging out the other nominee from India, Bangalore. Selected because of the quality of life, because of the conditions of sanitation and roads and welfare. If this is not a tribute to industrial India, then what is? Today, Indian needs several Jamshedpurs but it also needs this Jamshedpur to be given its fair due, its recognition. I am tired of campus visits being publicised to the Infosys and the Wipros of the world. Modern India is being built in Jamshedpur***** as we speak. An India built on the strength of core convictions and nothing was more apparent about that than the experiment with truth and reality that Tata Steel is conducting at Pipla.

Forty-eight tribal girls (yes, tribal girls who these corrupt and evil politicians only talk about but do nothing for) are being educated through a residential program over nine months. I went to visit them and I spoke to them in a language that they have just learnt: Bengali. Eight weeks go, they could only speak in Sainthali, their local dialect. But today, they are brimming with a confidence that will bring tears to your eyes. It did to mine.

One of them has just been selected to represent Jharkand in the state archery competition. They have their own womens football team and whats more they are now fond of education. It is a passion and not a burden. This was possible because I guess people like Ratan Tata and Muthurman havent sold their souls to some business management drivel, which tells us that we must only do business and nothing else. The fact that not one Tata executive has been touched by the Naxalites in that area talks about the social respect that the Tatas have earned.

The Tatas do not need this piece to be praised and lauded. My intent is to share the larger picture that we so often miss in the haze of the slime and sleaze that politics imparts. My submission to those who use phrases such as "feel-good" and "India Shining" is first visit Jamshedpur to understand what it all means. See Tata Steel in action to know what companies can do if they wish to. And what corporate India needs to do. Murli Manohar Joshi would be better off seeing what Tata Steel has done by creating the Xavier Institute of Tribal Education rather than by proffering excuses forthe imbroglio in the IIMs. This is where the Advanis and Vajpayees need to pay homage. Not to all the Sai Babas and the Hugging saints that they are so busy with. India is changing inspite of them and they need to realise that.

I couldn't have spent a more humane and wonderful weekend. Jamshedpur is an eye-opener and a role model, which should be made mandatory for replication. I saw corporate India actually participate in basic nation-building, for when these tribal girls go back to their villages, they will return with knowledge that will truly be life-altering.

Corporate India can do it but most of the time is willing to shy away. For those corporate leaders who are happier winning awards and being interviewed on their choice of clothes, my advise is visit Tata Steel, spend some days at Jamshedpur and see a nation's transformation. That is true service and true nationalism.

Tata Steel***** will celebrate 100 years of existence in 2007*****. It won't be just a milestone in this company's history. It will be a milestone, to my mind of corporate transparency and generosity in this country. It is indeed fitting that Ratan Tata***** today heads a group which has people who are committed to nation-building than just building inflluence andpower. JRD must be smiling wherever he is. And so must Jamsetji Nusserwanji. These people today, have literally climbed every last blue mountain. And continue to do so with vigour and passion. Thank god for the Tatas!

"AK" <ak47rao@gmail.com>

***** Image Image Image
HH
Level 1 Deity
Level 1 Deity

Thomas And Friends - Happy Little Helpers

by HH » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:37 pm

Thomas And Friends - Happy***** Little Helpers

Visit:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 82-3539649

***** Image Image Image