Thursday, 28 March 2024 »  Login
in

A confused city that Hyderabad is!

Problems with inefficient/corrupt officers? Cheated by someone? Complaints about the administration? Get heard by the city here!

Moderator: The Moderator Team

Do u agree with my pal?

Yes
30%
No
33%
Its just one side of the argument
37%

Total votes : 27

by Le Chacal » Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:47 am

Perfectly put HP. :D :D
Nom de dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperie de connard d'enculé de ta mère.:Merovingian,TMR
Le Chacal
Level 1 Deity
Level 1 Deity

by Habitual Perfectionist » Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:19 am

Le Chacal wrote:Perfectly put HP. :D :D

Thanks Jackal. I'm also new to Hyderabad - would be completing 2 years in Jan. I don't like quite a few things about the place. But I always look at things in a very unbiased perspective and you honestly can't find big faults with Hyderabad if you're unbiased.
In un foro nella terra, viva un hobbit
Habitual Perfectionist
Level 1 Lord
Level 1 Lord

by vivek » Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:12 pm

Habitual Perfectionist wrote:

Thanks Jackal. I'm also new to Hyderabad - would be completing 2 years in Jan. I don't like quite a few things about the place. But I always look at things in a very unbiased perspective and you honestly can't find big faults with Hyderabad if you're unbiased.

?? Elaborate please :roll:
http://www.wiredbeats.com - Download Attitude for Free!

How will it end?
vivek
Level 1 Star User
Level 1 Star User

by Habitual Perfectionist » Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:14 am

vivek wrote:
Habitual Perfectionist wrote:

?? Elaborate please :roll:

Sorry for the late reply here Vivek. What I meant was that Hyderabad does have a lot of things that I don't like in particular - like the food; everything being closed at nights; the almost lazy work culture etc. but it doesn't have any big problems that other cities similar to it don't.

I hope I was clearer here.
Habitual Perfectionist
Level 1 Lord
Level 1 Lord

by vivek » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:44 pm

Sorry for the late reply here Vivek. What I meant was that Hyderabad does have a lot of things that I don't like in particular - like the food; everything being closed at nights; the almost lazy work culture etc. but it doesn't have any big problems that other cities similar to it don't.

I hope I was clearer here.[/quote]

Ya the food and lazyness i agree. People are lazy, there is no will to work and make things look better. Worser still, the junta is hell bent on spoiling things. With the new government is place the city is falling..
http://www.wiredbeats.com - Download Attitude for Free!

How will it end?
vivek
Level 1 Star User
Level 1 Star User

A confused city that Hyderabad is!

by Bogaga » Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:09 am

I havent lived in many Indian cities, but know that each city has its fair share of problems

Delhi - pollution, people's attitude sucks, weather, safety

Chennai - language problem, HUGE WATER PROBLEM, weather

Kolkatta - too many problems to list here

Mumbai (need I say more? I live there) - Traffic snarls, extremely crowded, looooooong distances, dirty and smelly

Pune - pollution

Bangalore - water and power cuts, traffic snarls, pollution (thats what I hear)

When I compare all of them, Hyderabad seems to be the best. Let me expound

Pluses

Cosmopolitan culture

Low cost of living (perhaps second only to Kolkata). Mumbai is way too expensive, followed by Bangalore

Decent weather (Mumbai being the best on this count)

Decent public transportation (Mumbai scores here again)

Minuses

Power and water cuts

(So called) laid back attitude. This is improving rapidly

When I put everything together, Hyderabad comes out on top. Of course, I have a few biases from my side (me being from AP, Hyd is close home)

I used to live in Hyd in 1989-91 and the Hyd of today is a highly improved city when compared to those days. I am sure, its going to get better....judging by the direction and degree of change. As regards other city, they are moving in other direction (deteriorating)

One general observation

Among all people, its usually Bangaloreans that crib most, no matter where they are.

"Ayyo tumba kashta kanri" "yen maraya daridra ooru kanri"

:lol:
Bogaga

Re: A confused city that Hyderabad is!

by CtrlAltDel » Sun Dec 26, 2004 2:11 pm

good analysis Bogs!

Bogaga wrote:Among all people, its usually Bangaloreans that crib most, no matter where they are.
"Ayyo tumba kashta kanri" "yen maraya daridra ooru kanri"
:lol: this i agree 100%...and their only complaint is that the bars take last order at 11 pm and close by 11:30pm-12am.
wtf? i no longer care if my posts hurt yr feelings :roll:
Love me or hate me, u cant ignore me :D
CtrlAltDel
God!
God!

Hyderabad blues

by Truffles » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:57 pm

Come on guys and gals!

Hyderabad is is fast becoming one of the best places in the world to live in..and this I can tell from the knowledge of the plans being laid down for us. Just look around and see the pace at which things are changing..everything takes time..infrastructure is one of the hardest things to create and one cant expect miracles in a few yrs. CNaidu did a great job..but his blunder albeit a temporary one for 5 yrs, was that he became dictatorial and did not carry people with him..and you know what happens to such people..they are either assasinated or thrown out. But we have great hope and very soon..say in 20 yrs..we'll be as good as a Seattle or Charlotte. Most of the jobs in the US are drying up...and big companies are moving to India for all kinds of purposes..be it banking, insurance, technology, medicine and what not..and you know what..Hyderabad is the place to be. For those pessimistic friends..watch out..youll eat your words very soon..ie if youre not 90 and about to kick the bucket sooner..

Truffles

Re: Hyderabad blues

by Habitual Perfectionist » Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:05 pm

Truffles wrote:Come on guys and gals!

Hyderabad is is fast becoming one of the best places in the world to live in..and this I can tell from the knowledge of the plans being laid down for us. Just look around and see the pace at which things are changing..everything takes time..infrastructure is one of the hardest things to create and one cant expect miracles in a few yrs. CNaidu did a great job..but his blunder albeit a temporary one for 5 yrs, was that he became dictatorial and did not carry people with him..and you know what happens to such people..they are either assasinated or thrown out. But we have great hope and very soon..say in 20 yrs..we'll be as good as a Seattle or Charlotte. Most of the jobs in the US are drying up...and big companies are moving to India for all kinds of purposes..be it banking, insurance, technology, medicine and what not..and you know what..Hyderabad is the place to be. For those pessimistic friends..watch out..youll eat your words very soon..ie if youre not 90 and about to kick the bucket sooner..

Don't you think 20 years is too long a time? I agree that Hyderabad is improving. But calling it the best place to be in...you gotta be joking.

Bogaga....that sure was a good analysis. But you have to keep in mind that every person has a different set of priorities and so, the plusses and minuses of each place will affect each one of us differently.

Let me add another couple of minuses that I've experienced in Hyderabad. Maybe you missed them as the factors in question may not matter so much to you.

1. If you need something in the middle of the night (food, phone etc.), you are stranded. There aren't many 24 hour fuel stations either. And I've seen some 24 hour stations where ppl close the place and sleep off.

2. Not too many mid-range restaurants for different kinds of cuisines. If someone wants to try out authentic Chinese, Italian, Mexican, European or Mediterranean cuisine, they may jolly well be prepared to cough up a good amount of money. (This was actually there in my mind for quite a while, but it was Arti who brought it out to the forefront of my thoughts).
Habitual Perfectionist
Level 1 Lord
Level 1 Lord

Re: Hyderabad blues

by akhilis2cool » Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:55 am

Habitual Perfectionist wrote:2. Not too many mid-range restaurants for different kinds of cuisines. If someone wants to try out authentic Chinese, Italian, Mexican, European or Mediterranean cuisine, they may jolly well be prepared to cough up a good amount of money. (This was actually there in my mind for quite a while, but it was Arti who brought it out to the forefront of my thoughts).
this I agree with completely.

most of the mid range restaurants serve the same cuisine.....no variety.

woh ich paneer...woh ich naan aur woh ich fried rice :x
People are crazy, at times are strange. I am locked-in tight, I am out of range.
I used to care, but things have changed.
akhilis2cool
God!
God!

Oh it doesnt' smart at all !!

by Murali Apparaju » Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:06 pm

Hello Friends;

I have lived in Bangalore until last year & I know the ground realty – I know the wide chasm that exists between the typical brigade Road/ MG Road Bangalorean & the Jayanagar/ Majestic Types. The most funny thing about Bangalore is that whatever character the proud Bangalorean raves about is due to non-locals viz. Konkani, Coorgi & North Indian. The average Kannadiga there doesn’t even have a face – just look at the Kannada Movies – juxtapose this with Hyderabad where there is a vibrant Local flavor & with most entrepreneurs in IT or BT coming out of the local community & the city isn’t populated only by MNCs that can close shop any day and shift to another godforsaken country/city.

Then why all this ‘competition’ & ‘comparison’…….?

Whenever ‘wannabes’ try to catch up, there is a great amount of cynicism & contempt from the ‘beentheredonethats’ the list is big…;

Japanese cars faced resistance in US initially

Korean electronics drew ‘knowledgeable putdowns’ even in India;

Indian BPO workers attract hell a lot of bitching from entire US (just see the Dilbert et al strips for an instant idea)

Western Europe trashes Eastern Europe

North American brushes off South America

Closer home;

The South Delhi socialites sneer at neo-rich Punjabis

Neo-rich Punjabis crack jokes at Haryanvi duhhs’

Mumbai considers’ Delhi rude, Delhi finds Mumbai crude

Every other T,D & H says Bihar sucks (incl. some from Jharkhand !)

Have we ever considered how much of the ‘character’ of a community/city/ state/ country is ‘constant’ & how much of the crap is different from anywhere/ anyone else?

One, it is the inherent nature of the privileged to lookdown on the one trying to catch up.. Two, it is the mindless justification of people who cannot love any thing beyond their nose!

Grow up buddies, the world is much wider than Bangalore & there is a lot more to the city than its nightclubs & snooty page 3s.
Dil pe mat le yaar....
http://vishrasayan.blogspot.com/
Murali Apparaju

Re: Oh it doesnt' smart at all !!

by Habitual Perfectionist » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:33 pm

Murali Apparaju wrote:Hello Friends;

I have lived in Bangalore until last year & I know the ground realty – I know the wide chasm that exists between the typical brigade Road/ MG Road Bangalorean & the Jayanagar/ Majestic Types. The most funny thing about Bangalore is that whatever character the proud Bangalorean raves about is due to non-locals viz. Konkani, Coorgi & North Indian. The average Kannadiga there doesn’t even have a face – just look at the Kannada Movies – juxtapose this with Hyderabad where there is a vibrant Local flavor & with most entrepreneurs in IT or BT coming out of the local community & the city isn’t populated only by MNCs that can close shop any day and shift to another godforsaken country/city.

Then why all this ‘competition’ & ‘comparison’…….?

Whenever ‘wannabes’ try to catch up, there is a great amount of cynicism & contempt from the ‘beentheredonethats’ the list is big…;

Japanese cars faced resistance in US initially
Korean electronics drew ‘knowledgeable putdowns’ even in India;
Indian BPO workers attract hell a lot of bitching from entire US (just see the Dilbert et al strips for an instant idea)
Western Europe trashes Eastern Europe
North American brushes off South America

Closer home;

The South Delhi socialites sneer at neo-rich Punjabis
Neo-rich Punjabis crack jokes at Haryanvi duhhs’
Mumbai considers’ Delhi rude, Delhi finds Mumbai crude
Every other T,D & H says Bihar sucks (incl. some from Jharkhand !)

Have we ever considered how much of the ‘character’ of a community/city/ state/ country is ‘constant’ & how much of the crap is different from anywhere/ anyone else?

One, it is the inherent nature of the privileged to lookdown on the one trying to catch up.. Two, it is the mindless justification of people who cannot love any thing beyond their nose!

Grow up buddies, the world is much wider than Bangalore & there is a lot more to the city than its nightclubs & snooty page 3s.

This thread wasn't about Bangalore at all. Bangalore was just a by-product of the discussion here which was actually about whether Hyderabad has developed enough as a city or not.

We all agree that no city is unidimensional, whichever way you look at it. Bangalore is as much about "hallis" as it is about an MG Road mall. Mumbai is equally about dharavi as it is about Nariman Point. And the list goes on. But, a place always has a flavour to itself. Something that has been part of the city's ethos since decades and centuries. Like Lucknow has always been associated with "Tehzeeb"; Mumbai with a fast paced life; Kolkata with its firebrand youth & bhadralok and this list too goes on. I don't see anything wrong in attaching such cliches to cities. Its a legacy that a city has been carrying through the ages.

About your remark on the priveleged looking down upon the ones trying to catch up...that's a question of perception and a discussion board is all about sharing perceptions and getting to a fact based conclusion from there. Exactly what we've been doing here for the last couple of pages.

And I didn't really get the "mindless justification" part. Please explain it again.

As for growing up, that's all we're here for, aren't we? And I mean growing up in the ethereal sense and not physical. If you meant it otherwise, I'm sorry this doesn't even merit a response.
Habitual Perfectionist
Level 1 Lord
Level 1 Lord

by rock_26iin » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:24 pm

Everyone has their own priorities, you may like certain things and someone else may not. Ultimately, it all depends on the individual's choice. So, I think that this topic is not so general after all :roll:
Things are supposed to happen the way they happen. And the reason they happen the way the happen is because you try to make them happen in a certain way and may or may not be succesful.
rock_26iin
Level 1 Deity
Level 1 Deity

Explanation!

by Murali Apparaju » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:28 pm

Hey HP,

Hmm, reaction I did get, but from unexpected quarters - why does my observations of Bangalore not relevant here - after all Hyderabad is being evaluated vis-à-vis other Indian cities - right?

If you are trying to tell me 'not to feel bad' but feel objective - well dear... I am no pseud' trying to downplay my emotions & talk on an ideal platform. Well you wont definitely understand this as you stated that you came to Hyderabad recently

Thirdly, 'mindless justifications' are about getting creative with reasons for not able to adjust to a new city & understand its attitude & idiosyncrasies! - Ever wondered why this happens to people from Bangalore mostly (some one did say this before)

Well as for your doubt about 'growing up' well it wasn't exactly for you & the others in the forum - it was in general to all who have a superficial approach to understanding cities/ people.

If people have really creative ideas about 'making a difference' to the development of Hyderabad - we may even start an organization that works towards it - I am talking about a 'real organization' (on the lines of the ones’ in Bangalore) - I am sorry but I am not too patient with lengthy online discussions that do not add any value, except ruffling a few feelings!
Dil pe mat le yaar....
http://vishrasayan.blogspot.com/
Murali Apparaju

adadada

by sindhu » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:24 pm

well u guys need a better governement nothn more 8) 8) 8)

telugu desam suckk... the city need a name change 8) 8) 8)
sindhu

Re: A confused city that Hyderabad is!

by Sameera » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:17 pm

sindhuisababeandbum wrote:well u guys need a better governement nothn more 8) 8) 8)

telugu desam suckk... the city need a name change 8) 8) 8)

I think better you change yourself before you give your advise.... :lol: :lol: :!: :!:
Sameera

Previous                

Return to Local Problems/Issues