Thursday, 9 May 2024 »  Login
in

company refusing to repatriate me

Problems with inefficient/corrupt officers? Cheated by someone? Complaints about the administration? Get heard by the city here!

Moderator: The Moderator Team

company refusing to repatriate me

by mark » Fri May 27, 2005 10:22 am

Well I kinda saw it coming. the following is a cut and paste of a message i wrote on another forum:

I've been working for a large Indian IT services company for the past 3 years. I've spent about 1.2 of those years in India. This time out I'm under an Indian terms and conditions document, which means I get about 4 lakh a year (in total) and some strap-on clauses to my UK contract. Shitty deal i know, but i was up against a wall at the time.

I've been out here 7 months this time, and a few things happened in my life that brought it home to me that life is too short to waste on a career in IT (or any job which requires 40 hours a week in an office cubicle with a little flickery screen). So I handed in my notice (3 months in this company) and told them to work out the conditions that suited them best in terms of how long they want me around, when they'd fly me home, etc.

I thought they'd appreciate the fact that I had told them I was leaving while on my Indian salary, rather than getting myself sent home and then quitting to serve my notice on the UK wage (this just seemed a bit mean to me)

Anyhow, I got an email this morning to say I'd have to work out my 3 months in India, and also that the company isn't going to fly me home.

I haven't really got a leg to stand on, contractually, apart from 1 document which was needed for my work permit here. it reads "We undertake full responsibility for the activities and conduct of Mr. Mark National of Ireland during his stay in India. If anything adverse comes to notice during this period, we undertake to repatriate him on our cost."

Now my stay in the country is dependant on me being an employee of this company, the day after my final day i'll be illegal here. Would that mean the company would have to repatriate me, and would this mean jail time for me while i wait for them to fight it out? Can I use this in any way or should I bite the bullet, work 3 months for my shitty pay and use that to fly myself home.

I've made a mess of a few things over the last few years with this company, and they haven't done me any favours either. I'd like to leave cleanly, but on my own terms, and with no hard feelings. This is starting to look difficult.

If they aren't going to pay my flight there's no way I'm hanging around 3 months filling in the hours from 9-6 doing nothing. It was hard enough to get through the day when I had a job to do.

If i cut and run, i've been told that I'd have to pay THEM my salary for the 3 months. This would come to about 75000 rs in addition to the cost of a plane ticket and I guess I could kiss a reference goodbye while i'm at it.

any advice on this would be great, i think it's too late for me to play this one clever, but it might not be too late to avoid total disaster.

cheers guys,

Mark
mark
Level 2 Star User
Level 2 Star User

by CtrlAltDel » Fri May 27, 2005 11:06 am

oh boy!

abt the 3 month notice period...well...thats unavoidable unless u r prepared to pay them or forgo the references. i dont recommend that.

abt yr repatriation, i dont understand why yr company is refusing to send u back....its crazy n mean. yr company takes pride in company ethics, so this is surprising! i think if u go pester yr HR daily and argue abt it, they might agree, calling it a "special case".

even if they refuse, after yr last day at work, go underground and wait for the govt to trace and deport you :)
wtf? i no longer care if my posts hurt yr feelings :roll:
Love me or hate me, u cant ignore me :D
CtrlAltDel
God!
God!

by Betty » Fri May 27, 2005 11:29 am

I used to work in your company, and when it comes to contracts they are mean as hell. They have a long history of extracting money out of their employees, specially if you are truthful and straight with them. Most Indians give them a wrong address while signing the contract so that they cannot be traced after they 'abscond' without paying the bond.

In your case, matters are complicated due to your nationality. As of now, there doesn't seem to be a way out, except maybe getting a clear picture about the applicable laws for repatriation so that you can work things out.

All the Best!
Betty
Level 1 Star User
Level 1 Star User

by mark » Fri May 27, 2005 11:53 am

CtrlAltDel wrote:oh boy!

abt the 3 month notice period...well...thats unavoidable unless u r prepared to pay them or forgo the references. i dont recommend that.

abt yr repatriation, i dont understand why yr company is refusing to send u back....its crazy n mean. yr company takes pride in company ethics, so this is surprising! i think if u go pester yr HR daily and argue abt it, they might agree, calling it a "special case".

even if they refuse, after yr last day at work, go underground and wait for the govt to trace and deport you :)

max 5 year jail sentence according to the fine print on the back of my work permit.

Basically, there is NO way i'm going to sit here doing nothing for 3 months, then pay my own flights home. no chance at all.

There is pretty much no way that i'll pay these _er's my salary for 3 months, and a ticket home, i haven't got the cash and I already owe my parents too much.

I'm semi-tempted to contract a mild but dibilitating desease, that'd keep me out of action for the next few months. I can't face coming in to the office every day, i'll actually kill someone. Don't know what the hell i'm going to do.
mark
Level 2 Star User
Level 2 Star User

by Mayavi Morpheus » Fri May 27, 2005 12:32 pm

Tought situation mark. I cant help you except wish you good luck.

Dont kill anyone, dont go to jail, dont break the bond and dont pay for repatriation.
May the Fries be with you!
Mayavi Morpheus
Level 2 Lord
Level 2 Lord

kill the pigs

by mark » Fri May 27, 2005 12:45 pm

Mayavi Morpheus wrote:Tought situation mark. I cant help you except wish you good luck.
Dont kill anyone, dont go to jail, dont break the bond and dont pay for repatriation.

thanks man. I don't have a bond, but if you mean my contract, i might just have to break it. i've been ethical about this thus far, and the company has used that to bend me over a table, spread my cheeks and anally rape me for 3 years. The word ethics means nothing to these animals, the only thing they respect is policy and lawyers, the former isn't on my side and the latter i can't afford. I refuse to dance to the tune these swine are playing for the next three months, i will come to work naked, i will fart loudly in my cubicle, i will sh1t on the toilet seat, i will spill coffee on my keyboard, i will write anti-[my company] messages on the toilet walls in feces, i will dissillusion fellow colleagues by pointing out the meaninglessness in their day-to-day lives, I will have real difficulty resisting the temptation to pick my computer up off the desk and fling it as hard as i can at the window and down the the garden area 3 floors below.

Screw these swine, maybe the best thing i can do is retain my composure, act with dignity and grace, and try to extract myself from this situation in a professional manner.
mark
Level 2 Star User
Level 2 Star User

by san » Fri May 27, 2005 1:21 pm

:shock:

There's got to be a way out. Hello HR people out there, any ideas? I'd say speak to some seniors in the company both in India & Ireland. They might have some tricks. Citizens Advice Bureau be of help?
san
Level 1 Star User
Level 1 Star User

by mark » Fri May 27, 2005 2:10 pm

san wrote::shock:

There's got to be a way out. Hello HR people out there, any ideas? I'd say speak to some seniors in the company both in India & Ireland. They might have some tricks. Citizens Advice Bureau be of help?

Well, i wrote a heartfelt email (before i got angry) to the HR head in the UK (he was the one who told me that they wouldn't fly me home) basically making it an issue of good faith and ethics, honesty and corporate fairness. I mentioned the word dignity a few times.

I haven't a legal leg to stand on perhaps, but in terms of ethics i've conducted myself well, and it'll look extremely bad if they don't recipricate.

He wrote back saying that he was merely stating the legal situation, and that today he'll take the emotional and other considerations into account.

I got some great advice from a guy on another forum, that my anger only hurts myself, it causes them no pain. So as much fun as it is to blast the company, it's not too productive. I'm going to go forward with the assumption that I'll get my flights sorted, and that i'll have to work out my entire three months here in Hyd. Thats not so bad, since i have zero responsibility and even less accountability i can just enjoy myself in the office, i can think of it as a sort of weird holiday, go for long drives in the morning and long coffee breaks in the evenings.

thanks for the emotional support guys, i know i've been a bit heavy recently. i shall lighten up soon no doubt.
mark
Level 2 Star User
Level 2 Star User

by san » Fri May 27, 2005 3:09 pm

Good to hear. Sometimes all you have to do is ask nicely :)
san
Level 1 Star User
Level 1 Star User

by mark » Fri May 27, 2005 6:20 pm

san wrote:Good to hear. Sometimes all you have to do is ask nicely :)

hehe, looks like i sweet-talked it. they're going to fly me home. 8)
mark
Level 2 Star User
Level 2 Star User

by CtrlAltDel » Fri May 27, 2005 6:33 pm

good! now that, that problem is solved, see how to ship yr stuff to Ireland. :D
CtrlAltDel
God!
God!

by Sharjeel » Fri May 27, 2005 6:57 pm

mark wrote:

Good on Ya!!!

Oh wow! Great news ma Buddy!

All well that ends well :D

Come slippin and a slidin
Life’s a rollerball
Slippin and a slidin
Skateaway that’s all
Shala shalay hey hey skateaway
She’s singing shala shalay hey hey
Skateaway...
"Consequences, shmonsequences! So long as I'm rich!" - Daffy Duck.
Sharjeel
Level 2 Lord
Level 2 Lord

by Lucifer » Fri May 27, 2005 11:28 pm

Good for you, Mark!

On another note, I do not know which company you are working for. I am guessing it is an Indian company. Patriotic though I am, I know that Indian companies have the worst HR and the worst accountants, who only think of how to save money and look good in the eyes of their superiors.

Also, it is weird that you got paid Indian salary. Most international companies have a different structure for home country and international employees. Wherever they may be located, all the international employees get paid the same scale in USD. And all the home country their respective home country pay scales, which means that you should have earned more in India than you would in Ireland.
Nothing travels faster than light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws.
-- Douglas Adams
http://artfilm.fullhydblogs.com/
Lucifer
Level 3 Star User
Level 3 Star User

by mark » Sat May 28, 2005 12:56 am

Lucifer wrote:Good for you, Mark!

On another note, I do not know which company you are working for. I am guessing it is an Indian company. Patriotic though I am, I know that Indian companies have the worst HR and the worst accountants, who only think of how to save money and look good in the eyes of their superiors.

Also, it is weird that you got paid Indian salary. Most international companies have a different structure for home country and international employees. Wherever they may be located, all the international employees get paid the same scale in USD. And all the home country their respective home country pay scales, which means that you should have earned more in India than you would in Ireland.

that's easily explained as long as you keep in mind that i'm a total idiot who should have been marked as such from an early age and put in a special school to prevent me from harming myself and others, and to prevent me from "negociating" my terms and conditions for this india trip. Seriously, the company got wind that i actually wanted to be transfered to India so they made up their minds that the entire experience would be as painful as possible for me. If i had been forced to transfer here, then i would have retained full salary and benefits. just another reason why i'm extremely glad that i only have another 70 days working with them. any whiff of enthusiam at all and they make you suffer, dammit. and yeah it is an Indian company. not going to mention which one it is, but the following acronyms might give you a clue

Training Chimps Sucessfully

Talking Complete Sh1te

They Complicate Simplicity
mark
Level 2 Star User
Level 2 Star User

by Lucifer » Sat May 28, 2005 1:51 am

Had kind of figured out the company. Just did not want to hazard a guess at the time. I am aware of their HR policies. :evil:
Nothing travels faster than light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws.
-- Douglas Adams
http://artfilm.fullhydblogs.com/
Lucifer
Level 3 Star User
Level 3 Star User

by akhilis2cool » Sat May 28, 2005 9:31 am

mark wrote:

thats good news marko!

enjaai the next few months here. :D
People are crazy, at times are strange. I am locked-in tight, I am out of range.
I used to care, but things have changed.
akhilis2cool
God!
God!

by CtrlAltDel » Sat May 28, 2005 1:53 pm

mark wrote:...any whiff of enthusiam at all and they make you suffer
:lol: that company's administration is known to have a government bureaucratic mindset...and on a good day might even beat the govt. employees hollow
mark wrote:Talking Complete Sh1te
that ^^^ is true of most IT companies! :lol:
CtrlAltDel
God!
God!

by lonewolf » Sat May 28, 2005 11:43 pm

mark wrote:Training Chimps Sucessfully
Talking Complete Sh1te

Is it Satyam?
#$#$#u r acct #$@##@!@#
lonewolf
Level 2 Star User
Level 2 Star User

by CtrlAltDel » Sun May 29, 2005 11:21 am

lonewolf wrote:
Talking Complete Sh1te
Is it Satyam?
form an acronym yaar! :lol:
CtrlAltDel
God!
God!

by wisecrack » Sun May 29, 2005 2:58 pm

Talking Complete Sh1te

:lol: :lol: Hmm...makes me wonder...Were u a chimp when u trained with them?? :roll: :twisted:

kidding..peace! :)
I THINK...THEREFORE I AM.
wisecrack

by CtrlAltDel » Sun May 29, 2005 3:10 pm

wisecrack wrote:
Talking Complete Sh1te
:lol: :lol: Hmm...makes me wonder...Were u a chimp when u trained with them?? :roll: :twisted:
i dont think so. mark had said: "Training Chimps Sucessfully" :P
CtrlAltDel
God!
God!

by lonewolf » Sun May 29, 2005 5:52 pm

CtrlAltDel wrote:
lonewolf wrote:
Talking Complete Sh1te
Is it Satyam?

Why the acronym? Lets call a spade a spade. You don't have to be politically correct on this site. :)

In any case, Satyam can't train even chimps ;) And yes, all they talk is total nonsense. I hope someone in the Satyam HR is reading this.
#$#$#u r acct #$@##@!@#
lonewolf
Level 2 Star User
Level 2 Star User

by ycr007 » Sun May 29, 2005 8:33 pm

lonewolf wrote:
CtrlAltDel wrote:
lonewolf wrote:
Talking Complete Sh1te
Is it Satyam?

Why the acronym? Lets call a spade a spade. You don't have to be politically correct on this site. :)

In any case, Satyam can't train even chimps ;) And yes, all they talk is total nonsense. I hope someone in the Satyam HR is reading this.

I'll hazard a Guess....

Is it ByeBye Funsultancy Disservices? :twisted: :twisted:

On another note,All's well that ends well Mark.Pity that your Wonderful Experiences in India had to be Soured in thi mean way.....NExt Time you feel Swearing Profanities at them,Try remembering the FH members/Meets/Beer Binges/Movie Nites and Rlaxxxx.....
ycr007
Level 2 Deity
Level 2 Deity

by mark » Sun May 29, 2005 9:45 pm

ycr007 wrote:
lonewolf wrote:
CtrlAltDel wrote:
lonewolf wrote:
Talking Complete Sh1te
Is it Satyam?

I'll hazard a Guess....

Is it ByeBye Funsultancy Disservices? :twisted: :twisted:

On another note,All's well that ends well Mark.Pity that your Wonderful Experiences in India had to be Soured in thi mean way.....NExt Time you feel Swearing Profanities at them,Try remembering the FH members/Meets/Beer Binges/Movie Nites and Rlaxxxx.....

yeah you're right, it's been an interesting few years, no regrets.
mark
Level 2 Star User
Level 2 Star User

Repatriates needed!! Have a Voice!!

by stacey » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:36 pm

Dear returned expatriate,

You are invited to participate in a research study that examines issues associated with the repatriation process. You are being asked to participate in the current study because you have previously been placed on an international assignment. Many repatriates have strong experiences from their international assignment and might not have the chance to talk about them. The current study concerns your experiences during the repatriation process and your experiences at work. If you choose to participate in the study, you will be asked to complete a number of questionnaires on a secure online web site. The study will take approximately forty (40) minutes, and may be completed at any time during the day. However, it is requested that you complete the entire questionnaire during one sitting.

Data compiled from your responses will be kept strictly confidential at all times, and no identifying information will be obtained. Only the investigator and supervising professor will have access to your responses.

The current research will be used to advance knowledge regarding methods that organizations can utilize to aid in the return adjustment process for repatriates.

If you would like to participate please click on the following URL address:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=460972168065

Thank you for taking the time to participate in this study, and please send this request to any other repatriates (who were on an international assignment for a period of at least nine months) that may be interested in assisting in this type of research.

If you have any questions, please contact the investigator at the address provided below. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Stacey Fehir

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stacey Fehir

PhD student

I/O Psychology

Florida Institute of Technology

150 W. University Blvd.

Melbourne, FL 32901

Fehirs@aol.com
stacey

Return to Local Problems/Issues