Sunday, 12 May 2024 »  Login
in

A ray of hope

Problems with inefficient/corrupt officers? Cheated by someone? Complaints about the administration? Get heard by the city here!

Moderator: The Moderator Team

A ray of hope

by Optimist HP » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:05 pm

Two things that happened yesterday reaffirm something that I've been saying time and again on these boards. That the judiciary in India is one arm of the establishment that has demonstrated its uprightness on numerous occasions and yesterday was no different. These are the two victories truth gained yesterday due to the same uprightness.

1. The verdict in the Best Bakery case. In just about a year after the case was transferred to it, the special court in Mumbai sentenced 9 of the accused in this much publicised case to life imprisonment. And weren't there some paki agents around who were trying to incite passions by saying that there's no hope left for the people of Gujarat? And if the verdict was not enough, the Supreme Court has sent notices to Zaheera Sheikh and her family on the issue of providing false testimony to the court.

2. The Delhi High Court has summoned papers related to the Jessica Lal murder from the Delhi Police. It has also questioned the prosecution's approach as it was not able to build a strong case inspite of the overwhelming evidence & initial testimony in its favour.

Friends, let's not lose hope still. Of the 4 arms of the establishment, we still see high moral standards in two. The executive (President) and the judiciary (especially and importantly, the higher courts). The remaining two, the legislature & the media are areas where people like you and me can exert considerable pressure. IMO, we still aren't in the moral rut that most cynics sometimes think we are in.
In un foro nella terra, viva un hobbit
Optimist HP
Level 1 Lord
Level 1 Lord

Re: A ray of hope

by CtrlAltDel » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:33 pm

yes HP, this is definitely a time to cheer our judiciary and the press! Hooray to them...

...and rotten eggs to the doubters:
Optimist HP wrote:...And weren't there some paki agents around who were trying to incite passions by saying that there's no hope left for the people of Gujarat?
....we still aren't in the moral rut that most cynics sometimes think we are in.
wtf? i no longer care if my posts hurt yr feelings :roll:
Love me or hate me, u cant ignore me :D
CtrlAltDel
God!
God!

Return to Local Problems/Issues