Thursday, 28 March 2024 »  Login
in

Hyderabad Traffic

Problems with inefficient/corrupt officers? Cheated by someone? Complaints about the administration? Get heard by the city here!

Moderator: The Moderator Team

Hyderabad Traffic

by Ravi » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:05 pm

I'm not sure if this topic has been discussed here or not but I have some to ask and I think this is a good way to ask/tell fellow Hyderabadis.

1. Traffic Jams: Though we don't have real wide roads (as all wide roads have bottle necks every 200 meters) then why our dear Governor and CM have to travel so much within the city and also during peak hours and make traffic conditions from bad to worst?

2. Why HUDA administration doesn't have any future vision? Why can't we have

a. wide roads and roads without bottle necks

b. parallel roads to distribute traffic

c. flyovers before roads/junctions become real bottle necks for commuters?

HUDA can't claim that they don't have money ... they have lots and lots of money.

3. One good rain fall makes so many potholes on roads. Who is accountable for this? I think HUDA and contractors should be held accountable for this.

4. Civic Sense: Why do we don't have basic traffic sense? Why are we always in so much hurry? Why can't we follow lanes? Why do we have to go to extreme left to make a right turn on a junction? As per me, it will be much easier if we stay in right lane to make a right turn in a junction.

I love Hyderabad and I want Hyderabad to become better city.

Let me know what you think about it?
Ravi

Traffic Mgmt.

by Indy » Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:18 am

Ravi

The topic keeps coming up here and there. Please see some of the posts in the Volunteers Needed section. Perhaps you can help recruit citizens for the Traffic Warden program. Traffic mgmt and road maintenance need to be tackled well. Do you want to get a group of citizens together to use the RTI to see how much money has been alloted to road construction and repair, who holds the contracts, how to get them to honor their contractual obligations etc.?

I also think it's high time citizen's groups start taking the Govt. to court for 'negligence of duty' and endangering public safety. The road conditions due to administative negligence are responsible for loss of many innocent lives and should be treated as willful negligence leading to manslaughter.
Wake up and smell the coffee!http://sahyadri.aidindia.org/ Volunteer today for a better India tomorrow.
Indy

by Chote_Nawab » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:48 pm

I agree with Indy ji.... :D
Chote_Nawab

hahahahah

by kathora » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:07 am

Chote_Nawab wrote:I agree with Indy ji.... :D

hamaare chote nawaab aap bass sab ke saath agree hi karte rehte hai kya?wahaa par aapne sharjeel ke saath agree kiya yaha par indy ji ke saaath hahahah
kathora

Re: Hyderabad Traffic

by akshay » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:54 am

Ravi wrote:I'm not sure if this topic has been discussed here or not but I have some to ask and I think this is a good way to ask/tell fellow Hyderabadis.

1. Traffic Jams: Though we don't have real wide roads (as all wide roads have bottle necks every 200 meters) then why our dear Governor and CM have to travel so much within the city and also during peak hours and make traffic conditions from bad to worst?

2. Why HUDA administration doesn't have any future vision? Why can't we have
a. wide roads and roads without bottle necks
b. parallel roads to distribute traffic
c. flyovers before roads/junctions become real bottle necks for commuters?
HUDA can't claim that they don't have money ... they have lots and lots of money.

How do you propose to build roads and flyovers in densely populated hyderabad? do you propose that peoples houses/businesses be demolished and roads be built over them? woudl you volunteer your property as a noble gesture.

ravi wrote:3. One good rain fall makes so many potholes on roads. Who is accountable for this? I think HUDA and contractors should be held accountable for this.

4. Civic Sense: Why do we don't have basic traffic sense? Why are we always in so much hurry? Why can't we follow lanes? Why do we have to go to extreme left to make a right turn on a junction? As per me, it will be much easier if we stay in right lane to make a right turn in a junction.

I love Hyderabad and I want Hyderabad to become better city.

Let me know what you think about it?

I love it too...lets try to adjust a bit and also look for solutions. the existing ares will not change...the people living there have been living for 100s of years...much before the need fo rmodern amenities arrived....their lives are made with the existing parameters if you change the parameters these people will face a tremendous upheaval in their lives.

lets focus on the suburial extensions like cyberabad, gachibowli etc.
God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh. Voltaire, philosopher (1694-1778)
akshay

by Indy » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:29 pm

akshay wrote:

I love it (Hyd) too...lets try to adjust a bit and also look for solutions. the existing ares will not change...the people living there have been living for 100s of years...much before the need fo rmodern amenities arrived....their lives are made with the existing parameters if you change the parameters these people will face a tremendous upheaval in their lives.

Ah, Akshay, in case you haven't noticed, bad planning already started in those areas some time back! There are no specified fixed minimum distances that need to be in place between multistoried houses, roads are not constructed before development begins, underground piping, electricals, cables and sewer and drainage systems are not in place. Irregular, unplanned constructions are many in number and no plans for any massive rehabilittation to get poor people off the street and into subsidized homes.

Do you see any massive construction of highway networks to connect the rapidly expanding city suburbs? I didn't think so! Do you think it will happen before people start flocking to those areas as well?

Good Lord, even the beautiful park space (Huda walkway) is being devoured by greedy people to put up yet another Hotel!

Let's not kid ourselves, if we don't do something now, we will never live in a world-class city!
Wake up and smell the coffee!http://sahyadri.aidindia.org/ Volunteer today for a better India tomorrow.
Indy

by Indy » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:30 pm

akshay wrote:

I love it (Hyd) too...lets try to adjust a bit and also look for solutions. the existing ares will not change...the people living there have been living for 100s of years...much before the need fo rmodern amenities arrived....their lives are made with the existing parameters if you change the parameters these people will face a tremendous upheaval in their lives.

Ah, Akshay, in case you haven't noticed, bad planning already started in those areas some time back! There are no specified fixed minimum distances that need to be in place between multistoried houses, roads are not constructed before development begins, underground piping, electricals, cables and sewer and drainage systems are not in place. Irregular, unplanned constructions are many in number and no plans for any massive rehabilittation to get poor people off the street and into subsidized homes.

Do you see any massive construction of highway networks to connect the rapidly expanding city suburbs? I didn't think so! Do you think it will happen before people start flocking to those areas as well?

Good Lord, even the beautiful park space (Huda walkway) is being devoured by greedy people to put up yet another Hotel!

Let's not kid ourselves, if we don't do something now, we will never live in a world-class city!
Indy

by Indy » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:30 pm

akshay wrote:

Indy

by akshay » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:07 pm

Indy wrote:akshay wrote:

Triple posting!!!...I hope it wasnt for emphasis :lol: BTW is that "Ah" a sign of exasperation or a sign of relief? :lol: I hope it is the later.

I agree with you guys that we need better planning and need to hold the public works departments accountable for that. I am just stressing that our efforts will be better served for future development locations rather than for already populated locations.
God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh. Voltaire, philosopher (1694-1778)
akshay

BAd roads

by CTC » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:30 pm

Bad roads are major problem for Traffic Jams

well....

by Sachin » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:01 am

guyz dont try to fool around - traffic in old cities is always a problem no matter how big the city is. Can you guyz quote an old city which does not have traffic problems?
Raj Singh Dungarpur to Mohammad Azizuddin Azharuddin
"Miya captain banoge"
Sachin

my suggestion

by Andhrawala » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:06 pm

Hi all.

My Suggestion is as a responsible person we should avoid the personal vehicles in office hours.use public transport. If you see in Mumbai a person who is in managerial cader also didn't use his car to go to office. He simply uses the local trains. Here we don't have loacl trains( i mean it will not cover all the areas) so we need to use the RTC buses.

As the government, it has to increase the buses and frequencies. So that most of us will prefer to go by bus.

In a bus mostly 100-200 people can travel but 1/4 of it of a car will carry 1 or 2 people only. means we are creating the problem. we should n't blame the governent completely.
Andhrawala

Unfreindly

by VJ » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:13 pm

I think the hyd traffic is getting more & more unfriendly these days. The state transportation should identify the places which are more in rush and start more services in the form of buses or so.

People in India have a bad habit of using their own vehicles instead of public transport. The govt. should consider this and make the public transportation more user friendly so that people prefer the public transportation rather than the risky own/private ones.

The traffic cops should be ready to clear the traffic at regular intervals especially those areas which are always busy.
Being Oneself is One of the Greatest Qualities of All Time In a Human Being.
VJ

hello all

by hydi » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:53 pm

hahaha my bro. vj rtc buses r the main reason for traffics,accidents........n forget abt trafffic cops being presnt to clear the traffic as they will b busy writing challans.....even its true tht v shud follows traffic rules to avoid challans but these police men r nt doing challans as their duty or as if they reli care for road users safety BULL SHITTTT.....they jus wnt to fill their pockets
LiFe SuCkS!!!sO Do I!!!!!
hydi

by Andhrawala » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:04 pm

Hi Hydi,

i'm disagreeing with your opinion. B'cse i visited chennai recently. they've more buses than individual vehicles. traffic congestions are very less there. there, if any traffic signals are ahead, you'll move with slow speed some times you may wait for few minutes(max 3mins). But here that is not the case. if any signal is ahead you'll be blocked for at least 5 mins. RTC buses are not the problem. Traffic sense in the people (including some RTC drivers) is the problem. Here you can cross the signals or you can go in wrong route no one will caught. But in Chennai or in B'lore they follow the traffic rules and they have the traffic sense. (But b'lore had also traffic jams b'cse of more individual vehicles and rodas are verry small in width)

So government should also conduct the traffic awareness camps kinda things. And if anybody crosses a signal the costable should give red mark in his license and if any persons had 3 red marks then cancel his license kinda things need to be done. Then only our people can get the awareness.
Andhrawala

This is India man........

by VJ » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:22 pm

Andhrawala wrote:Hi Hydi,
i'm disagreeing with your opinion. B'cse i visited chennai recently. they've more buses than individual vehicles. traffic congestions are very less there. there, if any traffic signals are ahead, you'll move with slow speed some times you may wait for few minutes(max 3mins). But here that is not the case. if any signal is ahead you'll be blocked for at least 5 mins. RTC buses are not the problem. Traffic sense in the people (including some RTC drivers) is the problem. Here you can cross the signals or you can go in wrong route no one will caught. But in Chennai or in B'lore they follow the traffic rules and they have the traffic sense. (But b'lore had also traffic jams b'cse of more individual vehicles and rodas are verry small in width)
So government should also conduct the traffic awareness camps kinda things. And if anybody crosses a signal the costable should give red mark in his license and if any persons had 3 red marks then cancel his license kinda things need to be done. Then only our people can get the awareness.

Forget about everything. Nothing is gonna change. Nothing is gonna happen. Just get use to the stuff available. No point in discussing about the govt reacting to these discussions.

First of all there is no good research in India. I don't know how the decisions are made. Sometimes I'm surprised by myself. :roll:
Being Oneself is One of the Greatest Qualities of All Time In a Human Being.
VJ

Re: my suggestion

by dimsum » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:33 am

Andhrawala wrote:Hi all.
If you see in Mumbai a person who is in managerial cader also didn't use his car to go to office. He simply uses the local trains. Here we don't have loacl trains( i mean it will not cover all the areas) so we need to use the RTC buses.

Please do not suggest Mumbai local trains. That is almost inhuman the way they travel. Have you seen the way people travel on those so called fast trains during rush hours. It is unbelievable they can put up with such worse than ghetto like conditions.
dimsum

by soulcurry » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:51 am

the metro that is expected to start running in 2009 should hopefully make things better.
soulcurry

Hyd Traffic - Solution

by Biriyani_Chai » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:02 pm

Hi All,

I have been reading most posts on the subject of Hyderabad Traffic for the past few days. I recently had a chance to visit London City, and found the traffic system there to be extremely streamlined. The main observations were:

a. People stopped at traffic signals, irrespecitve of whether a traffic policeman was present or not (most of the time, I didnt see traffic policemen)

b. People followed the lane system perfectly. There was no jumping of lanes, no sudden lane changes etc.

c. There were security cameras installed at every traffic junction, and these would capture all the traffic moving, 24 x 7. The traffic department sent challans to people who had violated traffic rules (to the address on record).

My suggestions to solve the traffic problem in Hyderabad:

a. Lets install security cameras at major junctions (which are prone to traffic jams), and send challans to violaters address.

I know the objection that will come for this rule : Some people will get challans, when they have not driven the vehicle themsevles (someone else was driving). Well, to these people I would say, if you trust some one enough to give him/her your vehicle, trust them to pay the fine too!

Also, this will spur the RTA department to get correct addresses of vehicle owners (in case of genuine situations where vehicle was sold off and the new address not registered).

The cameras will track every kind of violation:

a. Lane jumping

b. Signal jumping

c. Wrong side overtaking

d. Honking in "No Horn" zone

e. Driving without seat belt / helmet

f. Triple driving

In addition, it will also help deal with accident cases, and act as proof for insurance claims.

This will also free the traffic police from writing challans etc. and help them regulate traffic better (which is their main function).

Belive me, the roads in Hyderabad are wide enough. What we need is disciplined driving, road sense, and instant punishment for rule violation.

I invite your views on this.
Di muazzin ne azaan, shab-e-wasl, pichli shab,
haay kambakht ko bhi kis waqt khuda yaad aagaya!
Biriyani_Chai

Trafic jam

by HEllo » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:58 pm

HEllo traffic Jam is always there
HEllo

Trafic jam

by Hello » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:00 pm

stop agreeing with every one
Hello

Traffic in Hyderabad

by g ahmed » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:21 am

Observations by Biryani-Chai is very relevent.

Basic problem about traffic in Hyderabad is lack of any planning for the roads and recent mushrooming of all kinds of vehicles, includig abundance of small cars.

No one has any road sense so how do you expect to get the lane discipline? People overtake from every direction and there are 6 rows of vehicles in three lanes near a traffic signal!

In Uk there are strict enforcement of rules, do you think it is possible in Hyderabad?
g ahmed

by pax indiana » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:15 pm

There is no end in sight to the problems that Hyderabad is facing. Let me summarize what is wrong.

Firstly where the hell are the pedestrians supposed to walk. They have no place to walk. 90 % roads do not have footpath and wherever there is footpath, the hawker encroach it like it is their birthright. No traffic police officer has guts to deal with hawkers. What a shame on traffic police. Instead of removing hawkers they will ask them money and in lieu of money they will allow them to stay. The traffic police is corrupt and rotten to the core. All they do is stop innocent people randomly and ask money (not even papers). Even if papers are right they will say you broke some rule / no helmet or any thing. The traffic police ask pollution certificates to clean vehicles but they have no problem with autorickshaws emitting black smoke or two wheelers without silencer running on kerosene. Traffic police officers who demand money or accept money should be reported and sacked immediately. They are always rude, corrupt and the scariest people on Hyderabad roads. They always punish innocent and let go of violators. They have no credibility whatsoever. Coming back to footpaths and hawkers. Why are hawkers even tolerated by administration. In no civilized city in the world, can hawkers be accepted. In Hyderabad they occupy prime land and make it useless.

Secondly the rules. Are they supposed to be followed. Auto rickshaws have the right to take any turn and stop anywhere even right in the middle of anywhere. Their radius of curvature is so small they can kill motorcyclists and scratch all the cars. And they wont even bother to stop. To top it all they will emit the worst kind of smoke ever possible. They are rude and may ask any rate and have no meter as prescribed by law. They do not have to stop at any stop sign or red light. They are the real agents of hell in Hyderabad - 3 wheel autos. They should be banned immediately just like in Mumbai. Or at least they should be made to follow all rules in letter and spirit.

Thirdly the city planners. What exactly is their job. To dig up the roads and lay concrete, then dig up once again and then make a flyover. It is totally sad to see that very few flyovers serve any purpose at all. The mehdipatnam flyover is one such case. To ease people going out of the city. Nobody bothers what happens below. Mehdipatnam is a hell hole where no civilization appears possible. No footpath, plenty of hawkers, corrupt officials, no defined bus stops, people walking all over the place, no traffic signals - absolutely nothing. The city should have multiple roads to reach one place - so a city should be like like grid. Hyderabadis believe the the city should be based on hub and spoke framework. Even when new area develop in Hyderabad, it just becomes another hub and no grid ever materializes. Rectangular grids have been proven world over to be the best way to go. The problem here is that there are too few arterial routes and lot of blood supposed to flow - wtf.

Then lastly religious places - where no one ever goes. No administration has the guts or writ to relocate religious places even if they are right in the middle of an arterial road. There are so many competing temples and mosques all over the city in the middle of the road situations. No body in 100 years ever visits these places because of the stench and the dust and smoke and the traffic. Some of them are just a stone with sindoor on it. Why cannot they be relocated or destroyed for the benefit of public. What kind of an administration do we have. What is the reason they exist - just to give more sops and incentives give false promises. the administration does not even have the guts to widen the roads. No tree plantation drive or eco drive is ever undertaken.

The public transport is virtually non existent in Hyderabad. So people have to increasingly rely on shared autos on which even 10 people can hang dangerously. No police will ever stop them because these are poor people just going somewhere. Why cannot their be affordable public transport for the entire city. Why cant the buses be improved and made more abundant and accessible. Why cant the bus stops be well defined instead of just stopping anywhere. Why cant the buses stop at a atop for more that 5 seconds. People have to run or take a leap of life to catch an already overcrowded bus - What the f***. The bus drivers do not have courtesy to stop for even old people who can just walk.

It is very very very sad that Hyderabad despite it glamor and glitz and big companies cannot be called a civilized city by any means. It has the potential to out grow major cities of the west but it can never do that because of the traffic and the town planning. It is more sad that it is disgusting. It has sewer flowing on main roads, corrupt incompetent officials, hawkers and beggars occupying the main roads, no rules apply, no traffic signals. This city is going straight to hell and like an ever fattening fat lady will choke itself due to its own growth.
pax indiana

by local train solutions » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:46 am

mmts trains are the best alternative for traffic problems.New local train construction is also causing traffic problem in kukatpally area. I suggest using MMTS trains mean while though the connectivity is poor they are good transportation even for the connecting parts.

For updated mmts train timings you can follow mmtstraintimings.in
local train solutions

Re: hahahahah

by Pakka Hyderabadi » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:44 pm

kathora wrote:

hamaare chote nawaab aap bass sab ke saath agree hi karte rehte hai kya?wahaa par aapne sharjeel ke saath agree kiya yaha par indy ji ke saaath hahahah

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pakka Hyderabadi

Next         

Return to Local Problems/Issues