Friday, 19 April 2024 »  Login
in

Harassment at Hyderabad Airport

Problems with inefficient/corrupt officers? Cheated by someone? Complaints about the administration? Get heard by the city here!

Moderator: The Moderator Team

by Faiz Khan » Tue Nov 13, 2001 12:30 am

Hello.... Guys
I have had a bad experience with the flight journey this time. To start with started from San Francisco, (California) to the final destination India / Hyderabad. after leaving the first Security check point at SFO, I was stopped by couple of Security personal at two more places and I was asked different questions i.e. do you know flying planes, where do you live in California. why are you going to India etc, my baggage was thoroughly checked again. Well this wasn’t enough. After I got down at Hong-Kong airport for a halt of couple of hours, I thought its cool over here; I went around on the air port and bought some chocolates and one PALM, then its time to board the aircraft again going to QUALALAMPUR. I started again going through the security check and this time at Hong-Kong clearing security check point, these security personals at the security asked me to show my passport and after reading my name, they were surprise and start giving me dirty looks. Not Only this. They took me in a corner place at the airport and did a
Complete security check and asked me, where I would be staying in India and
Other questions similar to the san Francisco airport authorities asked me? Like can you fly planes, did I have pilot training? Where do I work in America, what company bla bla.. I was nervous and terrified by the discrimination and humiliation I have received in front of other Indians, while they are allowed to go with out any question because they are not Muslim; they are not from Islamic faith. Anyways, after their complete freaking satisfaction, they allowed me board the aircraft, Guess what? after reaching my own COUNTRY/ My Great Hyderabad, where I have born and bought up. This is the place I belong to. I live all my life in this city. I was all smoking down when I reached the desk of immigration officer SOB asked my passport and after reading my name, he said, OHHHHHHHHH You came this year and you are coming again? I replied Yes indeed, and asked him what seems to be the problem, is there any restriction on the citizen of this country from entering. Then he looked at me and turned around and called some \"Subba Rao\" saab who was a _ dangerous looking with a “BOTTU\" on his fore-head this mother _ took me aside and started his series of questions, 1)where did I get my visa stamped and 2)what company I work for? 3) why I am coming back from America second time in a year. After replying to his list of questions, He got up of his chair and started sniffing my baggage, asked me what all I’m carrying in my bags and what company i work for and whats my us address. Then he started to melt down and gently asked me to leave my hyderabad address with him and asked, what will be the good time to call me, if they may have any questions further? Even though I am _ annoyed by their disgusting behavior, my family is standing outside waiting to receive me and these _ are harassing me asking me all these questions, I displayed my kindness and gave him my address and told him you can call me anytime you want “sir” I would be available to reply you. Alright finally I waked out of the door and my family members were standing and waving at me I rushed to them and hugged my dad and mom and my sister and brother thing, they were terrified after knowing this and on the way to home my brother is driving his opel, telling me how things have changed in hyderabad itself.
Muslims are openly discriminated, they are not giving jobs and not been treated well. After Sep 11 everybody now has a different opinion about Muslims. I don’t know, until when this will go on. I said to my self, dear lord. What’s going on here, why are they generalizing SEPT 11 attacks with all Muslims and Islam? What Indian Muslims have done we have been living in this country since its existence. How come we are being portrait as what a bunch of losers have done to America? This really hurting and heart breaking. I hope something good will happened to stop this all racial discrimination.
Faiz Khan

by Micheal Sohail » Tue Nov 13, 2001 12:30 am

Muslims are being persecuted, in their own city, (COUNTRY = INDIA). What our airport authority is trying to display? by singling out muslims who are coming from america and europe and strip searching them and asking questions like do you know flying plane
Micheal Sohail

by sweety » Mon Nov 19, 2001 12:30 am

This is response to Faiz Khan\'s statement that the muslims are being harrassed in his own country.
I strongly feel that whatever treatment has been given was very appropriate for this _ (Sorry to say this, but when a so called literate person uses this language to address his fellow brothers, I feel this is what he should be called). Just wanna let you\'all pay attention to the usuage of words to describe the policemen when it comes to Indian Police Department. He calls the people with almost same designation of other countries as \"Security Men\" and uses such harsh words for HIS so called own counntry men. And I feel it was a appropriate action taken at the airport to treat a _ like him when he himself doesnot know how to respect the people. His language itself shows how HE MIGHT HAVE BEHAVED with the Policemen, that they had to do this check.
And If at all he calls India his country, then first learn how to treat your countrymen and learn to respect them.
sweety

by rama krishna » Mon Nov 19, 2001 12:30 am

dawood ibrahim is also an indian muslim
rama krishna

by ramoji » Tue Nov 20, 2001 12:30 am

What do u want them to ask fellows like u \"How do u cook Biryani or Paaya.......\" U are not the only one who is travelling to Hyderabad India. At least learn some manners and decency while u say in Hyderabad and behave in future while travelling.
ramoji

by A true Indian » Tue Nov 20, 2001 12:30 am

This is in reply to the comments made by \"sweety\" and \"ramakrishna\". I would like to ask a simple question to people like you WHY DO ALL HINDUS HAVE SUCH IMMENSE HATRED FOR MUSLIMS(WHETHER INDIAN OR FOREIGN)? Why do you people forget that when Islam entered India long long ago, the Indian inhabitants used to practice a lot of social evils.People didn\'t even know how to dress properly. Islam showed Indians the real meaning of civilization, life and how to live peacefully.Consequently millions and millions Indians embraced Islam and the process is still going on.99% of Mulim rulers including Aurangzeb contributed a great deal in development of our country and showed immense sense of tolerance against other religions (Aurangzed financed maintenance work of many temples).We indians (no matter which faith we belong to) must remain indebted to Islam and Muslims forever. So stop this prejudice and try to hear the voice of your conscience.It will refrain you from such discrimination against Muslims.Coming to Sept.11, now every educated person (including all fanatics) know that Sept.11 attack was not perpetrated by Muslims.It was the work of \"ANTI MUSLIM FORCES\".There are many sites on internet revealing the facts now, one of which is whatreallyhappened.com, so visit the site and come out of darkness. I am sure,with immediate effect,all ANTI MUSLIM FORCES in India (or at least in Hyderabad)stop spreading Hatred against Muslims.LAST BUT NOT THE LEAST, REMEMBER THAT DESPITE ALL ANTI FORCES, ISLAM IS STILL THE FASTEST GROWING RELIGION OF THE WORLD. I request all NON-MUSLIMS to read QURAN (translation in their language), the most widely read book in the world, atleast once. You will definitely find it THE MOST LOGICAL of all religious scriptures. In Quran you will be surprised to find all those scientific explanations (including developmental stages inside uterus)which only recently proved by scientists, whereas they were written in Quran 1400 years (through revelations on prophet Mohammed PBUH) when even simple microscope did not exist.
A true Indian

by A true Indian » Tue Nov 20, 2001 12:30 am

This is in reply to Mr.Rama krishna\'s comment - Let me tell you, Father of Indian missile systems Dr.Abul kalam is also an Indian muslim & there are many such great names who have contributed greatly for the development of our country, INDIA. Moreover,it is for those who try Anti-Muslim rhetoric as making MUSLIMS synonymous to terrorism,let me tell them that Gandhiji,Indira Gandhi,Rajiv Gandhi, they were all murdered brutally by NON-MUSLIM TERRORISTS. Further,all those who have been so far arrested for spying against India for pakistan are all Non-Muslims, so why this bias against Muslims when Muslims are more patriotic than any other religious group in India. Come forward, learn about Islam and embrace.
A true Indian

by Ram » Wed Nov 21, 2001 12:30 am

Mr True Indian, If are really a true India why dont you convert to an hindu? Remember... India is Hindustan!
Ram

by A true Indian » Wed Nov 21, 2001 12:30 am

My dear Ram, who told you that India is for Hindus only. I want people like you to come out of this optimism. Moreover, the word \"Hindustan\" does not denote that it is for Hindus only. In Arabic India is called \"Hind\" which was named after the river Indus. Turkish called India HINDSTAN, just like Tajkistan,Uzbekistan,Turkamanistan,Afghanistan, As the time passed, Hindstan was slowly changed to HINDUSTAN but history can\'t be changed. I hope now you know the real name of India i.e., HINDSTAN.
A true Indian

by The 21 st century Mahatma » Wed Nov 21, 2001 12:30 am

Crazy. Sick. Disgusting. Faiz, while I understand your pain please do not authorize yourself to express your anguish in undemocratic terms, Subba Rao or otherwise.
Gandhiji was thrown down the platform... he did not abuse the white man. He made a crusade, freeing millions along with him in the process.
Don\'t make it a Hindu Muslim issue in the Indian context. A Sikh was stripped in New York to his barest last fortnight here in US. What do you say. The Sardarji Gentleman was a Canadian citizen by the way.
Sweety, your comment to say the least does not justify the name you have taken for youself.
Faiz\'s wrong, though pained expression, need not have called for a such an adjective.
Dawood is a Muslim, so is Mr. Kalam. What does it prove? Just that a common word like Muslim does not automatically prove to be good or bad.
Let us give ourself a break. Be young, be free and be broadminded.
Let us understand others and speak a little better. Probably, even if our today is stained, maybe our tomorrow will be better.

(I will tell you a small incident. A security cop abused me here a few days ago. I work in the World Trade Center, Maryland, incidentally. He said Evil rules the world and then offered such profanities as you can expect an Afro American with lesser than college education to utter. I told him I understood his pain, and that his my best friend\'s wife died in WTC, NY. I told him about Kashmir and the price we Indians paid. He almost sobbed and apologized. This weekend, he brought a beer for me.
Things change with love. Try it each one of you. It will work.)
The 21 st century Mahatma

by Mohan » Wed Nov 21, 2001 12:30 am

This is in response to \"A true Indian\"\'s post. Your assertion that India was really civilized by Muslims cannot be more wrong. Indian culture was the most thriving and rich culture. I do agree with you that the Indian society was ridden with a number of evils like Caste/Superstition etc. But hey, before pointing your fingers, take a deep look at your own religion. The prescriptions that it gives for the treatment of non-believers (kafirs), women etc. are simply impossible in a modern day pluralistic society. What happens when the word of Quran is imposed to the letter on the society, is there for everyone to see in Afghanistan and to some extent Pakistan.
I agree that any person who hates Muslims in general is wrong and needs therapy. But your generalizations about contributions of Muslims to India are not entirely correct. Muslims did make many contributions to India, but I think most of the rulers were very intolerant and the best they could do was not impose Jiziyah on Hindus.
Coming to conspiracy theories about who was behind the Sep 11th attacks, any one can say anything without substantiating stuff. Heck, I could put up a website saying you did it. That does not make it true.
Even though it is bad, your kind of posts are exactly what turn more Hindus against the Muslims. I for one do not hate anyone. I only want to indulge in a sane and a rational argument. If you want to discuss with me, I welcome a healthy debate.
BTW, I did read Quran to a large extent and the scientific facts that you claim are really vague and are really open to interpretation.
Cheers.
Mohan

by A true Indian » Wed Nov 21, 2001 12:30 am

Hi Mohan,I have noted your comments.You claim that you have read Quran, but alas! you did not try to understand it. Women have more rights in Islam than in any other religion. I don\'t want to criticize Hinduism about women\'s rights or about anything else because I don\'t believe in offending anyone. You talk about Afghanistan or pakistan, let me tell you both these countries do not implement Islamic or Quranic teachings in their law. All these Islamic countries have their laws politically motivated. Nobody spoiled Islam\'s name more than Taliban themselves through their so-called Islamic law which is far from the basics of Islam. If Islam or Quran has faults in it, it would never spread in the west which is basically against Muslims but still Islam is the fastest growing religion in America and elsewhere. Reg.Sept.11, ask yourself once again \"Was that crime committed by anyone other than Anti Muslim forces\"? The debate continues....
A true Indian

by sangeetha » Thu Nov 22, 2001 12:30 am

Hi Faiz Khan,

could you give me more details about the harassment at the airport. I think we can take it up in Times of India. I am an employee with the Times.
sangeetha

by Guest » Thu Nov 22, 2001 12:30 am

Dear \"True Indian\",
I am really glad to see that you are willing to debate rather than just lambast me for differing with you. I consider myself a very open person. I am really interested in knowing more about your point of view. It may be true that Islam has been maligned by the practices of Taliban. Can you please elaborate on what basis you say that Women enjoy rights in Islam. From what I could gather from a cursory reading, it looked like the odds were heavily loaded against women. Especially in matters like proving adultery, property rights, having to wear Burqa etc.
Once again do not get me wrong. I want this discussion to be educational to me. I hope you keep an open mind too.
Thank you.Mohan

by sweety » Thu Nov 22, 2001 12:30 am

This is in response to \"A true Indian\", Please read properly before you comment on anything. No where in my comments did I mention about the differences between a Hindu and a Muslim. It is people like you who take it the other way. What I was pointing out was that people like \"Faiz\" are the \"educated illiterate\" who differentiate between religions. Why had he to describe the policeman saying with a \"BOTTU\" etc. What does this indicate. He is the one who is differenciating. And I feel whatever I have said is not wrong coz when a educated person like him calls a policeman \"mother _\" this shows to cadre he belongs. And one more thing Mr True Indian, When an Indian (Hindu) was arrested in NewYork when he went to watch a movie, he never used such language whereas Fiaz abused the policeman. This shows the difference.
When you call India as your country, first try to respect your fellow countrymen. Just becoz he was a hindu policeman, he should not have used such a language. Were he to use the same language if he was muslim Policeman. Please try to understand, no way Iam differenciating between the religion, but one ought to respect the fellow countrymen they are living in. And an Educated person like him should not used such a language. If he is reading this, I tell him \"If you have any shame left in you apologize for what you have written\".
sweety

by conscious » Thu Nov 22, 2001 12:30 am

I do not understand the whole point of this discussion and where it is leading. As I look at the message posted by one of our friends who was humiliated in his own city for his religious affiliations, I did feel a sense of shame myself. Why do we feel we are all that different? I think it is very sad that we are losing a sense of human dignity and basic respect for fellow beings as we grow. Is that the direction we want to go in? Is that the attitude we\'d want our following generations to embrace? When will this stop? That\'s one too many questions and no answers. We live on the same planet, happen to be born in one country just with different traditions and maybe, culinary habits. I believe our core values and morals are still the same. Religion is just like your name - when it comes down to it, it doesn\'t really matter what it is, as it won\'t change the person you are. How different does that make us? I do not feel there is any reason to start hating or slandering each other for that. Now, back to the discussion that ensued above - All religions have their inherent good points and flaws. After all, the philosophies were developed thousands of years ago and certain aspects do not apply to the changes that have occurred in our social and economic behaviors over the years. Also, both Muslims and Hindus have had as many martyrs in the past as rogues. Both religions have influenced the way we live our lives. There is a bit of both in all of us, no matter how much you may refute that. There is nothing like a better religion. Now, one of you might come back with historical statistics indicating one was greater than the other. But who cares about the past? It\'s time everyone understood that we need to move on and start respecting each other for what we are. I do not practice any religion - now that does make all of you hate me for not having an affiliation? You people have the liberty and the responsibility to build more intelligent, conscious, and benevolant communities, cities, countries, and the world. Believe me, if you all got together and talked this over with the sole objective of social and economic development, it would be a lot more constructive than arguing over what the other person said or did in the past. We as Indians must be proud of not just of what we were, or used to be, but of what we can be. If we cannot cross over that basic hurdle onto the other side, we will never win the race as people. Try to think rationally, and constructively without insulting others, or using foul and crass expletives. Try to build Hyderabad as a model community for people to learn from. I am not a saint and really did not mean to preach - I apologize for that. I just wanted to put out food for thought for you to nibble on. I think it\'s time for me to practice what I preach. Good luck to you, my friends.
conscious

by Sameer » Thu Nov 22, 2001 12:30 am

Its so pathetic to see you people fight like some uneducated morons over issues that should be given serious thought and consuderation. It is possible that Faiz was discriminated against because he\'s a muslim. India is full of corrupt and ignorant government employees who do not have a clue as to how a civilized person behaves. Why dod you think india is where it is right now even with so much brain power. I am always for hindu-muslim unity, is that quality of India disintegrates, then we all know what the consequences are going to be. Instead of pulling the leg of a person who is trying to put forward his complaint regarding the discriminatory condust an airport employee, we are resorting to throw tantrums and insults at each other. How very Indian of us. Though Faiz\'s way of communication was completely against Hyderabadi Tehzeeb and Tameez, an educated person should still pay attention to the point he\'s trying to make. India needs enoromous facelifts in the way its federal employees conduct business. Lets stop insulting each other and try to make this grat nation a better place. In response to Mr. Ramoji\'s question, yes sir, if you want you can learn how to amke paya and biryani, and you can also learn how to build beautiful buildings, magnificient cities, hospitals, universities, roads, libraries, communal harmony, so on and so forth, all from Muslims if that\'s what your question suggested. You live in the Great city of Hyderabad, you should know better about the achievements of Muslims in India. I guess i will stop here. God help you all and all the people of Hyderabad.
Sameer

by another_toxic » Thu Nov 22, 2001 12:30 am

Why the hell are you fighting guys? This is the thing which sucks.. This is the reason for India not being a powerful nation till. Suckin people fight among themselves...
another_toxic

by A true Indian » Fri Nov 23, 2001 12:30 am

Dear Mohan, Concerning women\'s rights in Islam, Scientific facts in Islam and everything about Islam, I would like you to watch the lectures given by Ahmed Deedat or Dr.Zakir Nayak. These are available in Video Cassettes widely. These Scholars have explained very clearly about all misconceptions concerning Adultery, Property rights, Hijab(Burqa) etc. Reg. Sept.11, I with millions of other muslims feel that it was a conspiracy against muslims. Sooner or later the whole world will come to know about the truth. The word \"Islam\" means \"Peace\". There is no place for terrorism in Islam. Reg.Faiz\'s use of abusive language for the police man, I feel that it was not appropriate, however the comments he made were very spontaneous without any revision. He was badly hurt and insulted which triggered such language. In any case, he should have given a second thought before putting down such comments especially \"BOTTU\" etc. Let us all work together to make HYDERABAD an example of Hindu-Muslim unity especially now when people from both communities have done a lot to bring Hyderabad on world map.
A true Indian

by Hyderabadi » Fri Nov 23, 2001 12:30 am

Ratanm, I\'m sure you know there are millions in US that don\'t know the difference between Sikh\'s & Taliban - Its the turban. They go by \'SHOW & TELL\' policy. So, don\'t be petty and hold that against US. But, if you see the big picture around the country, EWNS people are ready to help and fight for thier \'RIGHTS\'. So lets not bicker about who is great HINDUS, MUSLIMS,CHRISTIANS, in India lets try and make INDIA a safe place. And no matter where you go, you should feel proud and happy to go back home \'HYDERABAD. But, incidents like what happend to Mr. Fiyaz, might give people a reason not to go back home.
Hyderabadi

by pravin » Fri Nov 23, 2001 12:30 am

hey guys,
this is in resonse 2 the slut who said that isalm has civillised india.hey boss plz the whole world know islam is nothing but a group of fundementalist fantaics who else do u explain the figure that 87% of terrorism in the world is islamic terrorism i guess the figures speak 4 themselves come on graduate ,u suckers u have sucked every country that u have been in and INDIA has not been spared either.
pravin

by Hyderabadi » Fri Nov 23, 2001 12:30 am

Sameer, you did a great job clearing the mist around this sad episode of Fiaz being harrased by our Airport officials in Hyderabad. Today it was Fiaz, tomorrow it could you and Me. The point here is nipping the problem at the Bud, and requesting our \'PUBLIC SERVANT\' to treat all Indian\'s equally. As Indians lets atleast learn from USA how every American stood shoulder to shoulder to address terrorism. What happened to Fiyaz is terrorism in a way in Hyderabad. Lets not allow discremnation in Hyderabad, we all lived together H/M/C.
Hyderabadi

by ratanm » Fri Nov 23, 2001 12:30 am

is it correct to say all americans stood together- after the incidnet of sikhs and other american citizens being dicriminated by reason of ethinic differences
ratanm

by A true Indian » Sat Nov 24, 2001 12:30 am

Hey, u Pravin shit (Guys excuse me for my language but he asked for this treatment), your comments about Islam are nothing but the reflection of sheer frustration of your group of fanatics. Learn some mannners before posting any comments here.
A true Indian

by Raj Shekar » Sun Nov 25, 2001 12:30 am

I am an Indian American. I visit home very often. Taking a long flight from United States to India is quite exhaustive. We leave for homeland with much happiness but thats short lived. As soon as the plane lands, we try to hide our wallets because of the known corrupt airport customs officials. These people make our journey horrendous. They try to make roadblocks instead of assisting with your checkouts. Harassment is quite common. A tired passenger has no energy left to challenge the officials, so they end up paying them anywhere from $150-$200 to get a green signal with luggage clearence. Now you arent done yet, you haven\'t left the airport and the baggage handlers try to scam you, then the taxi drivers.. and by the time you reach home, you have had it. Will the government ever stop harassing the homecoming crowd?
Raj Shekar

Next         

Return to Local Problems/Issues