Saturday, 27 April 2024 »  Login
in

Nothing gets done without bribe.

Problems with inefficient/corrupt officers? Cheated by someone? Complaints about the administration? Get heard by the city here!

Moderator: The Moderator Team

by dil hai hindustani » Tue Dec 04, 2001 12:30 am

Bribe Bribe Bribe....... Or Chai Pani kay liye........ Most of the government or local offices work doesn\'t get done without bribe. You have to bribe from doorman to the top official in different forms to get your work done.
dil hai hindustani

by Mohan » Thu Dec 06, 2001 12:30 am

I was mightily pissed by the attitude of the blurb on the home page regards the link to this board. Instead of trying to be smartass, we should try to solve this problem. Does anyone have any creative suggestions as to how this scourge can be mitigated. With less than 15% of the funds, per confession of a late prime minister, actually reaching the beneficiaries, India is truly becoming a poor country with rich people. Coz, all the money that goes towards bribes becomes black money, it does not show up in any accounting for govt. purposes like taxation etc. According to some estimates, the amount of black money stashed away in India is sufficient to raise the infrastructure of India to western standards. How I wish that we all could do something.
Mohan

by CM » Thu Dec 06, 2001 12:30 am

We do not have to bribe...provided you make everybody (including your parents, friends and relatives, if they are earning) pay taxes. For your information, major source of income for government is taxes. If taxes are not paid, government will not have money to provide services. As simple as that. I hope you are intelligent enough to understand this simple relationship. Burning buses, destroying public property, whining (in discussion forums and elsewhere), etc. will not help. In fact, these acts will only cause some more inconvenience and noise.

Since most of us do our best to evade taxes, we have lost our voice to control bribery/corruption. We just turn a blind eye to this problem because we are guilty of spreading the malaise of tax evasion.
CM

by Conscious » Thu Dec 06, 2001 12:30 am

I agree. I think there are too many people that accept this as a way of life. There\'s got to be ways of eradicating this disease. I think people in Hyderabad should take advantage of the fact that we have a relatively responsive CM (or at least that is the impression I get). Maybe, a forum could be set up, \"people against corruption\" perhaps, where victims of corruption can report. I might have to be more creative than that, but it is a start for us to think of ways to curb this evil. I remember when I was living in Charleston, SC, they issued pre-paid postcards that people could list license plate numbers of traffic offenders and mail off to authorities. The offenders were promptly mailed reprimands. I do not know if that would work in India where there is a blatant lack of civic responsibility, but a similar process would be worth a try. Let\'s keep thinking!
Conscious

by Mohan » Fri Dec 07, 2001 12:30 am

I do agree with you CM for the most part. But the \"whining in discussion forums\", does not belong in the same league as destroying public property. For, it is only progressive people who indulge in debate about socially relevant issues. It is this debate that results in a change.
Mohan

by mastan » Sat Dec 08, 2001 12:30 am

The problem is not just the bribe, it is the problem of corrupt practices, double standards, injustices to the downtrodden, fooling people on social issues, spreading hatred among indians on the basis of religion, casteism just to win elections. These are the main issues, unless these are rooted out, our country won\'t become great. These policians who spread hatred, poison should be banned from public life, these guys are fooling the people and the people are simply dragged into their dragnet.

Rising above these petty politics is the first step, then the second step is to tackle corruption. In my opinion,if you tackle the first step, all other issues would be eliminated.

mastan
mastan

by dil hai Hyderabadi » Mon Dec 10, 2001 12:30 am

This bribe and corruption is killing poor people. There is money for programs that suppose to help the needy one like welfare, feed the hungry, but most of that money goes to the people who work for that program. You can see the paper work saying they distributed all of its money as per program, but you won\'t find any evidence that shows it did help any poor family. Instead you can see that the those workers bought new car or bought another house. The poor people are the one who is staying the same but the rich is getting richer with the help of these programs. On internet i have seen so many programs that could benefits lots of people in hyderabad. My dad has given his 2nd floor to give education to the poor localchildren for free and i am paying for the teacher fees. Now i am giving him all the sources i can find on internet to help those poor families. I am going to make a non profit organization in the community by providing them the sources where they can get help. Most people are uneducated and doesn\'t have any knowledge of the government programs. I will try to make a difference starting from my community and on. So please pray for me.....
dil hai Hyderabadi

Return to Local Problems/Issues