Thursday, 28 March 2024 »  Login
in

how can the NRI's vote too?

For the Hyderabadis all over the world who believe there is only one home. Come in here and get a cuppa. Irani, of course!

Moderators: hitesh, The Moderator Team

how can the NRI's vote too?

by Arch » Sun Jan 18, 2004 5:52 am

Anybody has the info abt' it ? but ofcourse ! 'Mayavi .. where art thou ? you sure wud be able to give me that info.' :)
Arch

by JustaLittleUnwell » Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:03 am

Will wait for Mayavi's inputs too - but to the best of my knowledge, NRIs can't vote. For an ex-NRI who has returned, he/she needs to have lived in India for a minimum period (not sure how long) to become eligible to vote again. I guess this minimum period is ensured as they prepare the voters list sufficiently in advance, before an election happens.
JustaLittleUnwell

by Arch » Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:34 pm

Oh, Thanks for the info JALU. I should have remembered you too, ofcourse.. and several of others too on this board.

We really cant' vote?! I was thinking that we could vote by post as long as we are the citizens of India. Thats' what I remember somebody in the govt. saying.

What happens to those of us who have been already reg. and arent there in India? somebody else would be using my vote as usual ?

unless, ofcourse.. nai, probably, it gives the riggers a 'blanket 'yes! ' to use all of our votes.:cry:

anyways, lets see what we can do to first vote, if not, how to let them not use our votes .
Arch

by Mayavi Morpheus » Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:49 pm

Justa is right. NRI's donot have voting rights (if citizens of another country). EC doesnt accept postal votes. AFAIK even PIO card and Dual citizenship donot give you the privilage of vote.

Added later:

http://www.eci.gov.in/faq/faq_fs.htm

Q 6. Can a non-resident Indian citizen become a voter?

Ans. According to Section 19 of the R. P. Act, 1950, only a person who is ordinarily resident in a constituency is entitled to be registered in the electoral roll of that constituency. However, such of the non-resident Indian Citizens who are employed under Govt. of India in a post outside India are eligible to be registered as voters in terms of Sec 20 (8) (d) read with Sec 20 (3) of the R. P. Act, 1950.

PS: Does any country accept postal votes from its citizens residing overseas for personal reasons, other than military and embassy officials.
Mayavi Morpheus
Level 2 Lord
Level 2 Lord

by Arch » Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:36 pm

Hey, Mayavi, thanks a bunch. As usual, good lot of info at the website that u gave.

anyways, that wud mean I have to go get my reg. cancelled, if i want nobody to use my name, right? I guess I have to find out how I should go about that.

GTG..LL, TC.
Arch

by JustaLittleUnwell » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:15 am

Mayavi Morpheus wrote:Justa is right. NRI's donot have voting rights (if citizens of another country). EC doesnt accept postal votes. AFAIK even PIO card and Dual citizenship donot give you the privilage of vote.

Mayavi, a small correction to what you said. An Indian living abroad is technically an NRI only if he/she is a citizen of India - i.e. a holder of Indian passport. Otherwise he/she is termed a PIO. Despite being an Indian citizen, an NRI cannot vote (except if he/she is abroad on government service).

But his/her voting rights can be restored just by returning and living here for a minimum period - no other formalities required. However, PIOs do not have that privilege. If they do intend to settle down in India and become Indian citizens, they need to go through the process / red tape that is associated with getting Indian citizenship.
JustaLittleUnwell

by IdontDiscriminate » Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:31 pm

what's a PIO?
IdontDiscriminate

by Mayavi Morpheus » Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:45 pm

IdontDiscriminate wrote:what's a PIO?

Person of Indian Origin
Mayavi Morpheus
Level 2 Lord
Level 2 Lord

by Anand » Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:30 pm

PIO stands for Person of Indian Origin.