Thursday, 28 March 2024 »  Login
in

To go or Not to go?? Very Confused

For the Hyderabadis all over the world who believe there is only one home. Come in here and get a cuppa. Irani, of course!

Moderators: hitesh, The Moderator Team

To go or Not to go?? Very Confused

by On_da_Fence » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:24 pm

Guys n Girls,

Hello all..Hope everyone is ok.. this is my first post on FullHyd. Hoping to get some things cleared up as my head is really clogged right now n am not able to decide what to do. Hopefully I can find some answers and solve my dilemma.. :?

Well I just came back from a short visit to Hyderabad (I live in Sydney, Australia BTW) and this was after a period of 5 years. I came to Australia initially to study. I finished my Bachelors Degree here, got my Permanent Residency and currently working for a US conglomerate here in Sydney as IT Risk Manager. Sounds like I have it all.. N thought the same until I visited my friends and family back home in July.. I was amazed to see Hyderabad change so much and the drastic improvement in the lifestyle and attitude of people just stunned me. I had so much fun back home and people working there seem to have a very happy and tension free life. They don't seem to care about Mortgage, Taxes, Bills like in Australia and even though they do have these commitments the pay levels in India are such that they are able to meet these without any hassles. Time just flew and it did not strike me until I was in the airport that I was leaving. I just thought back and my life in Sydney just flew past in my head. I was thinking I have to go back to the same Mon-Fri job, Drink on the weekends and call home every week. Well it looked all mechanical to me without any family and the attachments.

Now I am Sydney (Its been 3 weeks) and I still miss home badly. I lived most of my life away from my parents and never had such feeling. Thoughts of moving back home are common in my mind now and sometimes I think will I be able to fulfill my ambitions in India? How are jobs for IT Risk managemnt, Will I get a good job as I have here in India, What is the pay like etc etc., There are also times when I think that I am only 25 years old and should be here till I am thirty and go back.. I also have some financial commitments back home (Very manageable even if I get a job back home)..

Folks I need ur advise on what to do?? I literally pull my hair out thinking about this every night. Do u think this will pass.. Do u think it is wise to make my move to India. Anybody has any idea about jobs for IT Risk professionals and what pay is like ( I have 3 years exp).. Please help me out here guys.. and my apologies if all this sounds absurd as I am just typing the thoughts I have in my mind.. Thanks folks.. Please do reply..
On_da_Fence

by CtrlAltDel » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:00 pm

well...as far as IT jobs are concerned, India IS the place to be. jobs are available in plenty for people like you with foreign experience. if u come back here i am sure u wont regret it (except when u yearn for Bondi on weekends ;) )

as an IT Risk Mgr, what exactly do u do? i am into IT, but never came across this role/designation.

btw, yr description of life in australia surprised me! my impression of aussies are of an easy going lite lelo type (like us hydies)...:D
wtf? i no longer care if my posts hurt yr feelings :roll:
Love me or hate me, u cant ignore me :D
CtrlAltDel
God!
God!

by Sharjeel » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:03 pm

You be missing your home (country) sitter-of-fences. Thou would not have any peace in thy heart until Ye unites with thine motherland. :)
"Consequences, shmonsequences! So long as I'm rich!" - Daffy Duck.
Sharjeel
Level 2 Lord
Level 2 Lord

by san » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:28 pm

Just do it. Get a job first tho...
san
Level 1 Star User
Level 1 Star User

jus do it

by Sachin » Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:01 am

Jus do it !!!! JUmp of the fence and get into hyderabad.... not bfore u learn abt u r opportunities.... never mind abt the dollars u ll be earnin in Aus ..... Hyd shld jus be fine rather grt if u get a decent job in the IT.

If I were in u r position i wld jump to hyd if i get 30-35k a month.
Raj Singh Dungarpur to Mohammad Azizuddin Azharuddin
"Miya captain banoge"
Sachin

Re: jus do it

by lonewolf » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:45 am

Sachin wrote:Jus do it !!!! JUmp of the fence and get into hyderabad.... not bfore u learn abt u r opportunities.... never mind abt the dollars u ll be earnin in Aus ..... Hyd shld jus be fine rather grt if u get a decent job in the IT.

Every other big IT company in Hyderabad gives more than 35k a month to MS freshers. Why don't you try in Wipro or Infosys? They are on a hiring spree. Apply while you are in Virginia itself, so that they'll give you more consideration than local BE students :P
#$#$#u r acct #$@##@!@#
lonewolf
Level 2 Star User
Level 2 Star User

by On_da_Fence » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:16 am

Thanks Guys for the support.

Well, CtrlAltDel..IT Risk Management is more or less like IT Audit. It is non technical and involves identifying Risks associated with use of Information Technology in the work place. Mostly Disaster recovery, Business Continuity planning, Internal Controls and Security come under IT Risk. Do u have any idea about pay scales back home regarding theses jobs?? A typical organisation I could be working for would be like a Deloitte firm providing consulting services to its clients.

I was enjoying life in Australia until I went to India. Once I came back I realised what I was actually missing. Usually Aussies are laid back but not in a metropolis like Sydney.

Anyway folks, Thanks a lot I feel a bit better now and Please let me know what u think..
On_da_Fence

by paris_dakar » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:55 am

If I'd known, I would've squeezed my nuts in wise and read this post...GAWD!
blank magazine
paris_dakar

by Mayavi Morpheus » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:22 am

On_da_Fence wrote:Anyway folks, Thanks a lot I feel a bit better now and Please let me know what u think..

I would advice against talking any impulsive decisions. Just compare the positives and negatives of life in India with that of australia and make a good decision which you wont regret later. I know some poeple who gave up their jobs, green cards, big homes and luxorious life in US for a career in India and they are not all that happy. Relocation is not simple. Sure hyderabad has improved and so did rest of India, but there are always trade-off's when you are giving up your PR in australia.

What are the trade - off's? Giving up your 250 hp fully loaded BMW X5 that you used to drive in US for a 100 hp Hyundai accent in Hyderabad, while doing the same amount of work! but at the same time you can employ an army of servants to do your daily chores in India which you cant in Aussieland.
May the Fries be with you!
Mayavi Morpheus
Level 2 Lord
Level 2 Lord

by DQ » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:31 am

Hmm Interesting.

Look bud you were on a holiday. Holiday to any place is enjoyable.

What you tend to ignore is, you will get back to

- The same 9-5 or maybe even 7-3 or 2-12 grind in India.

- Needs and priorities will change. Mortgage here - Rent there (or whatever)

- Traffic ka problem

- Paani ka problem

- Authorities ka Problem all this will start niggling you. And then you will yearn to get back to a country where you have spent around 5-6 years. Kuch to attachment ban gaya hoga.

Long story short, you can't take a this big a faysla by just a 1-3 month holiday. Hmm until and unless you have something really concrete in you mind.

- Maybe something to acheive

- Maybe a long term dream to fulfil.

Parents ko bahana bane ke jaoge to every hurdle you face in India, you will tend to blame them for it.

Weigh your options.

Plan exactly what you want to do.

If you want to move now, convince yourself that you will not contemplate moving back until yahan ka palla kuch zayada hi bhari na hoo.
Tu jo sachchi hai larazti kyun hai aye zaban bol de darti kyun hai

qalb men khowfe khuda hai tere phir zuban sach se jhijhakti kyun hai

http://kaamwali.fullhydblogs.com
DQ
Level 2 Star User
Level 2 Star User

Re: To go or Not to go?? Very Confused

by regfinally » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:40 am

On_da_Fence wrote:To go or Not to go??

i didn't bother to read your post :sorry:

i suggest you not to go

anyways, im gonna be back next year to haunt the boards
regfinally

by regfinally » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:44 am

im high on maple syrup :?

im out :arrow:
regfinally

by KK » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:41 pm

My frnd and batchmate was doing job in India while I was doing my masters here. After 4 years now, he got a chance to work in US and he strongly believes working abroad is a better. Hez working only 5 days a week here where as he had to work 7 days to reach the same productivity in India.

Just get the views of people who have worked for long in India as well as abroad and make a decision accordingly. I know my frnds who have left to India during recession are now trying hard to get back to US.
KK

Re: jus do it

by Sachin » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:56 pm

lonewolf wrote:
Sachin wrote:Jus do it !!!! JUmp of the fence and get into hyderabad.... not bfore u learn abt u r opportunities.... never mind abt the dollars u ll be earnin in Aus ..... Hyd shld jus be fine rather grt if u get a decent job in the IT.

Every other big IT company in Hyderabad gives more than 35k a month to MS freshers. Why don't you try in Wipro or Infosys? They are on a hiring spree. Apply while you are in Virginia itself, so that they'll give you more consideration than local BE students :P

Lemme finish my masters matey.... Still got an year to go.... By the way doin a full time intern this sem @ America Online Inc. lovin every bit of it..... thnx for the sugges but not rite now a cpla yrs down the lane
Raj Singh Dungarpur to Mohammad Azizuddin Azharuddin
"Miya captain banoge"
Sachin

by mark » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:12 pm

agree with DQ.. holiday is very different from living there, if you think you'll have no worries back home, think again.. long hours, traffic chaos, low buying power of the rupee (harder to go on holidays abroad)

Not to say you shouldn't go home, just remember the grass isn't alway greener. I've just completed a move home from India to Ireland (although i only spent 9 months in India so doesn't really compare to the massive amount of time you've spent away) and the only thing that kept me sane after moving home was that my expectations were low, i.e i knew from experience of moving away/coming home that the grass isn't greener, just different.

If you're bored with Aus, feel like a change, etc. then i'd say go for it. If you just want to retain the feeling you had while on holiday then i'd wait another few months and see. Remember it's easy for a person working in Aus to take a 1ce a year trip to India but not so easy the other way around..

Anyhow, best of luck with whatever you choose, i know it isn't an easy decision to make. If you do decide to go home, you'll soon understand the meaning of the words "you can never go home"
While one who sings with his tongue on fire Gargles in the rat race choir Bent out of shape from society's pliers Cares not to come up any higher But rather get you down in the hole that he's in
mark
Level 2 Star User
Level 2 Star User

by On_da_Fence » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:36 am

Hey all.. I am actually flabbergasted to see so many replies. :o This shows to go we fullhydis r the best bunch :D . Thank you all for replying and helping me solve my dilemma.. I haven't solved it yet but I think I have a fair bit of understanding now.. Well.. I guess it all comes down to adjusting to the realities of home and not complaining later.

Do anybody have any idea about the pay scales in India for my background??

Right now the issue is not haunting me that bad cos I have been told yesterday that I am going on a business trip to US for a week on the 20th. Atleast now I have something to look forward to for a change.

Anyways guys.. many thanks for your replies.
On_da_Fence

by lizardking » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:52 am

Hey, I can totally understand where u are coming from. But from my personal experience, all i can say is that it would nt be a wise decision to move back to India, just cos u think the grass is green there, it will fade there as well, and everythign gets a bit boring when u over do it.

I decided to move back to India 2 years ago, but could not sustain myself for more then 5 months. the first 2 months were Ok, everythign passed just fine, but after that, the problem starts.

but if u really wanna move to India, there has to be a reason more than just bills or mortguage, or what so ever, cos it would be teh same in India as well. If you are so bored of living in sydney (which i would be too, if i were to live there for 5 years), why dont u move to other cities, less sstressful cities like brissie or Adelaide. i am sure it woul be a good change, n not to mention, they are the booming markets now.
The ultimate
lizardking
Level 2 Lord
Level 2 Lord

by DQ » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:47 am

There you go Mark and Liz put it in a better way with first hand experience.

As far as pay goes, you should be able to get 40 K onwards.

What you need to remember though is, multi national companies there still need flexible people.

You could be moving between BLR, Gurgaon, Hyd and as days goe by it may involve intl travle as well. So its not basically like a cushioned home life that you will get when you get back.

A lot of people on the boards may pray to differ with this point but you will also find a huge work cultural gap from here to there. Though the multi nats have eliminated hiearchial babu pana there, but it still does exist (in one form or another). That may be one of the biggest challenge an executive may face. The perception of (foreign) may start getting on your nerves, for a person who has seen morgages/ taxes etc and preferred to settle back in India.
Tu jo sachchi hai larazti kyun hai aye zaban bol de darti kyun hai

qalb men khowfe khuda hai tere phir zuban sach se jhijhakti kyun hai

http://kaamwali.fullhydblogs.com
DQ
Level 2 Star User
Level 2 Star User

by Xeno » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:23 am

DQ wrote:There you go Mark and Liz put it in a better way with first hand experience.

As far as pay goes, you should be able to get 40 K onwards.

What you need to remember though is, multi national companies there still need flexible people.

You could be moving between BLR, Gurgaon, Hyd and as days goe by it may involve intl travle as well. So its not basically like a cushioned home life that you will get when you get back.

A lot of people on the boards may pray to differ with this point but you will also find a huge work cultural gap from here to there. Though the multi nats have eliminated hiearchial babu pana there, but it still does exist (in one form or another). That may be one of the biggest challenge an executive may face. The perception of (foreign) may start getting on your nerves, for a person who has seen morgages/ taxes etc and preferred to settle back in India.

Yeah and I have heard that you have to work like 12 hour shifts 6 or 7 days a week you know you are basically cheap labor back home....
The man who strikes first admits that his ideas have given out.
Xeno

Build Heaven In You!

by HH » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:18 am

He Is In Heaven
He Is In You
Heaven Is In You
Build Heaven***** In You!

*****If You Go Out ... In Search Of Heaven ... First Or Next ... Think ... To Seek & Build That HEAVEN Within Your Place, With Your People Around You!

Elsewhere You Are On Your Own ... Maybe Unseen Unsung Unheard Of ... AWAY From Your Elders ... AWAY From Your Friends ... Alone ... When You May Yearn For Your OWN People

THINK THINK THINK WELL ... Ere You Act!
Build Heaven & Earth Links!
HH
Level 1 Deity
Level 1 Deity

Re: To go or Not to go?? Very Confused

by Ustaad » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:32 pm

On_da_Fence wrote:Guys n Girls,

.. Please do reply..

Follow you heart. After 5 years , if you still feel the same way , then do it.

But, while you are still there.. try and save, have fun , build a solid career

If you think about home all the time..go home. If you wanna stay in Australia, enjoy your stay ..while it lasts...

Problems creep in when you hear how good Hyd. has it now. Stop comparing yourself with freinds in Hyd.

I had a freind in the US who came from Australia , he had a bad experience in the US (job wise) and decided to move back to India.. again.. couldn't take it there.. went to the U.K...

last i heard.. he's going back to India and wants to try to come back to the US.

i told him not to leave and have patience .. like... 4 years ago..

dig it ?
Prose for hos!

Ustaad

Return to NRIs