Thursday, 28 March 2024 »  Login
in

Should NRIs be given voting rights?

For the Hyderabadis all over the world who believe there is only one home. Come in here and get a cuppa. Irani, of course!

Moderators: hitesh, The Moderator Team

by gyanster » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:22 pm

Yeah, but the discussion here is whether ppl with dual citizenship be allowed to vote or not. I am eligible for citizenship here in Aus but I am not taking it up till dual citizenship is sorted out by India.

If I never cared about India or returning there I would not even be coming to this site.
gyanster

welcome! ... WELCOME! ... Welcome!

by HH » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:13 pm

gyanster wrote:... dual citizenship***** ... India***** ... this site*****.

***** welcome! ... EVER WELCOME! ... Welcome! :D :!:
Build Heaven & Earth Links!
HH
Level 1 Deity
Level 1 Deity

by Nationalistic HP » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:07 pm

First of all, thanks to everyone for participating very positively to this discussion. Let's keep this healthy discussion going and not get personal (this usually happens when such hot debates happen on this board). Special mention and request to DQ - please refrain from calling anyone a Modi-bhakt or so called RV. That'll simply result in you being called a paki and things going astray. The issue doesn't deserve a treatment like that as it happens to be one of the most topical issues facing us today.

Now, coming to the posts since my last one here, there are a couple of issues to consider.

First of all, let's not link anything like dual-citizenship or voting rights to investment. Investment happens to be just one of the good things that NRI's and PIO's can give the country. And moreover, investment is not something that every NRI & PIO can give back to its motherland.

There is something though, equally important and valuable, that almost every NRI & PIO can contribute. They can be ambassadors for Brand India in foreign lands. They can remove a lot of misconceptions foreigners have about India like it being a land of nomads and snake-charmers. For example, NRI's & PIO's in high places in other countries can bring about changes in their adopted countries' education to remove such misconceptions. NRI's & PIO's should make sure their future generations don't lose touch with their roots. They can make sure they highlight the positives of India instead of the negatives, as seems to be the fashion nowadays - crib about the problems you encounter in India and you're considered YO!. :evil:

There are many other seemingly unimportant, but very crucial ways in which the diaspora can contribute to India's success. But that's not the point here. The bottomline is that these sops are accorded to the NRI's & PIO's for all they can do and not just the money they have in their pockets.

Secondly, voting rights and dual citizenship are two very different things and should not be clubbed together. Since we are discussing just voting rights in this thread, let's stick to just that. Otherwise, it'll end up in a mess. We could discuss the dual-citizenship issue in another thread.

So, let's draw the lines again. The government is mulling voting rights for Indian passport holders working in the gulf. What do you feel about this issue? I feel that its a step in the right direction though I want the additional rider of a decent period of residence in India in the recent past to go with these rights.
In un foro nella terra, viva un hobbit
Nationalistic HP
Level 1 Lord
Level 1 Lord

by gyanster » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:39 am

Nationalistic HP wrote:
So, let's draw the lines again. The government is mulling voting rights for Indian passport holders working in the gulf. What do you feel about this issue? I feel that its a step in the right direction though I want the additional rider of a decent period of residence in India in the recent past to go with these rights.

Thank you for taming us Nationalistic HP we were a bunch of sheep running around and you came as the good shepherd you are. /sarcasm

But, seriously if the discussion is about a postal ballot then how can you ask for someone to be in India for the recent past? You have not read the opening post. And I dont think you opened this thread, so you cannot make any rules.
gyanster

by "Don't mess around" HP » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:29 pm

gyanster wrote:
Nationalistic HP wrote:

Thank you for taming us Nationalistic HP we were a bunch of sheep running around and you came as the good shepherd you are. /sarcasm

You're welcome. And your sarcasm code didn't really work as the syntax was all wrong. :D You should start it with "[sarcasm]" and end it with "[/sarcasm]".

gyanster wrote:But, seriously if the discussion is about a postal ballot then how can you ask for someone to be in India for the recent past?

I'll come to that in a bit.

gyanster wrote:You have not read the opening post.

I did. And I'm sure you haven't read my previous post in this thread. Had you done so, you would not have brought up the argument quoted above. I mentioned a residence in India for atleast 2 months in the 5 years preceding the election in question. Not too much to ask for, or is it? That's just going to help the voter be in touch with the actual reality rather than something thats being fed to them by the biased agencies abroad.

And I dont think you opened this thread, so you cannot make any rules.

My intention wasn't that of imposing anything, and I'm sure there's nothing offensive or imposive about my post there. I was trying to do this.

1. Remind people here that this is a discussion of great importance to us. And that we should discuss it objectively without getting personal.

2. Remove misconceptions and confusions about the terms "Voting rights" and "Dual citizenship" that many members here might have.

And that's the prerogative of everyone who posts here and not just the person starting the thread.

Now, I would actually want you to behave like a nice tame lamb and not post irrelevant crap. And I'm not at all being sarcastic here. I'm sure you'll understand that I had to use these words just because one good turn deserves another and it goes on. And this is how getting personal can mar the interest of others participating in a discussion. So, henceforth, I'll simply report anything personally offensive that you might post here to relieve any personal itch. Stoop lower if you wish so.
"Don't mess around" HP
Level 1 Lord
Level 1 Lord

by "Don't mess around" HP » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:37 pm

gyanster wrote:
Nationalistic HP wrote:

You're welcome. And your sarcasm code didn't really work as the syntax was all wrong. :D You should start it with "[sarcasm]" and end it with "[/sarcasm]".

gyanster wrote:But, seriously if the discussion is about a postal ballot then how can you ask for someone to be in India for the recent past?

I'll come to that in a bit.

gyanster wrote:You have not read the opening post.

I did. And I'm sure you haven't read my previous post in this thread. Had you done so, you would not have brought up the argument quoted above. I mentioned a residence in India for atleast 2 months in the 5 years preceding the election in question. Not too much to ask for, or is it? That's just going to help the voter be in touch with the actual reality rather than something thats being fed to them by the biased agencies abroad.

And I dont think you opened this thread, so you cannot make any rules.

My intention wasn't that of imposing anything, and I'm sure there's nothing offensive or imposive about my post there. I was trying to do this.

1. Remind people here that this is a discussion of great importance to us. And that we should discuss it objectively without getting personal.

2. Remove misconceptions and confusions about the terms "Voting rights" and "Dual citizenship" that many members here might have.

And that's the prerogative of everyone who posts here and not just the person starting the thread.

Now, I would actually want you to behave like a nice tame lamb and not post irrelevant crap. And I'm not at all being sarcastic here. I'm sure you'll understand that I had to use these words just because one good turn deserves another and it goes on. And this is how getting personal can mar the interest of others participating in a discussion. So, henceforth, I'll simply report anything personally offensive that you might post here to relieve any personal itch. Stoop lower if you wish so.
"Don't mess around" HP
Level 1 Lord
Level 1 Lord

by TUBADCOW » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:00 pm

Koi kuch corruption ke bare me bola to yeh loga ko kaiku itti Jalti...?

Possible ussi ka paisa kah te rahe umr bhar. Abb baap ko kaise bolenge ke tum hi hain desh ka yeh haal karne waaley.

If there was no corruption and favrotism my dear. We would not live with the developing nation tag. We would be way ahead of the rest.

How. Look around the globe,

the top most performers Indian or of Indian origin.

the very many great people who live there. Who have helped India attain todays laurels.

(Dont consider yourself great if you ever have bribed a thola to get away from anything , dont consider yourself great if you have ever considered any Indian below your social strata. Dont consider yourself great if you have discriminated against. There are many more to this../.....)

Now when someone talks about corruption, or other social ills peep within oneself. Dekho kahin baapuji ghar haram ka paisa to nai laarahe hain....

Now to living abroad, one million reasons for one to live abroad, and for those who have not bothered to cross the nadi and want to live in a self bloted bull bullish world. Come out and see how the Indian communities have done India proud, and these communities also think rationally exactly why they crib and send in requests back and would like to see India right up there......
Tu jo sachchi hai larazti kyun hai aye zaban bol de darti kyun hai

qalb men khowfe khuda hai tere phir zuban sach se jhijhakti kyun hai

http://kaamwali.fullhydblogs.com
TUBADCOW
Level 2 Star User
Level 2 Star User

by Vishrasayan » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:46 pm

Let me admit that I haven't gone thro' all the posts in full detail - my reaction, nonetheless, is as follows;

Dual Citizenship is good enough - granting Voting rights would be taking things too far - even if it is just about Gulf Indians

The reasons are;

- The no. of votes do not matter and they'd have no chance of ever influencing the poll verdict - it would be a case of much ado' about nothing..

- With all respect to the NRI sentiments...... one cannot have the privilege of being part of decision making if one does not reside there (think....If I don't stay with my parents, I am sure they'd care a damn about my take on what brand of packaged milk they should consume... or any such thing..) -I know it hurts..... But yes I’ll use the same yardstick for myself if I get out of India....which is very likely in the years to come (just to ward of any feelings that it is jealousy speaking an not Vishrasayan!)

If you are an NRI and want to do something for your country of birth - do that without any expectations & privileges - I know that lakhs of resident Indians & scores of NRIs are silently contributing to Indias development without getting in to trade-offs ! (I am not talking about Investments - that is pure business)

After all we are all from the same Karma Bhoomi...
Dil pe mat le yaar....
http://vishrasayan.blogspot.com/
Vishrasayan

by xprincessx » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:35 pm

personally, don't think it's necessary. As some said, if you are not a citizen then you should'nt be. If you are a citizen of India, then yes, it is a right!
xprincessx

by KK » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:52 am

xprincessx wrote:personally, don't think it's necessary. As some said, if you are not a citizen then you should'nt be. If you are a citizen of India, then yes, it is a right!

Makes sense!
KK

voting rights for NRI

by prasadrao » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:33 am

Why should an NRI not be able to vote. Infact he is more eligible to vote than any other fellow indian.

NRIs are the people who opens Indian news paper as the first thing than any other news.

Measure the clicks per minute for websites related to Gifts to India, Online Indian movies, indian songs online, indian newspapers, online shopping sites, etc shows the love of NRIs towards indian culture, near relatives.

98 % of Nris may not even have an american as a friend. Also 90% of talk is about India. Believe me people in india also dont spend so much time talking about India.

These are the people who feel how badly India needs stores like walmart, home depot, taco bells, etc.

Infact these people are in better position to review economics of India and understand about standard of living for a common man.

Around 50 percent or more NRIs invest in NRI with an intention of returning back to India knowingly about consequences of repatrition.

Check out how big are organisations like AID (Association for Indian Developement) and ASHA, also dont doubt about NGOS work.

If you believe in steal from rich and distribute to poor thats what NRIs are doing. If india does not provide enough money whats wrong stealing from USA and sending it back

NRIs are most unfortunate who endanger losing their Identity, (Na Ghar Ka Na Ghat Ka), they are confused entire life. Believe me NRIs life is the most pathetic life. Its only GREED FOR MONEY or (desire for decent living) that forces them to stay NRI.

Most basic necessities are still considered luxury in India, NRI always dreams when these basic necessities are in common mans reach and he can return.

This is longest message I wrote in my life so far because it pains
prasadrao

Re: voting rights for NRI

by J » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:16 am

prasadrao wrote:These are the people who feel how badly India needs stores like walmart, home depot, taco bells, etc.
Umm..wat exactly is wrong with the places in India? The markets here are well stocked. We don't need ur stupid Walmart, etc. Indians living in India are very pleased with what we've got here...

prasadrao wrote:Infact these people are in better position to review economics of India and understand about standard of living for a common man.
It's veyr easy to sit in a foreign country and decide what's good for the country (and the so-called common man) u mentioned. Then y don't u give up all that and come here and do something about it?

prasadrao wrote:If india does not provide enough money whats wrong stealing from USA and sending it back
Oh, is this the new method of justifying what u'r doing??

prasadrao wrote:NRIs are most unfortunate who endanger losing their Identity, (Na Ghar Ka Na Ghat Ka), they are confused entire life.
Oh my god! Is he trying to get sympathy or something?? He comes one day, posts a coupla messages abt how "unfortunate" he is, and he xpects us to actually empathise with him?
J

by Portuguese Man-Of-War » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:44 pm

I do not agree with J.

What's wrong with the stores here? The prices. Organized retailing gets you much better deals than the kirana stores. If you are going to argue about the livelihood of the grocers, that's a different argument. I am responding to "Umm..wat exactly is wrong with the places in India? The markets here are well stocked. We don't need ur stupid Walmart, etc."

Your post reflects a feeling that NRIs are bad people just since they moved abroad to make money. How many of us do anything for India staying in India? It is the entrepreneurs of India who help the country the most - most of the rest of us earn our livelihood in those jobs. Several times in companies that NRIs have funded.

And much of India's growth in consumer businesses has come when families started spending money that their kids abroad sent. More families buy cars and homes now than earlier. Every family that has a kid abroad owns a flat. That means more growth for steel and for cement, more income for masons, carpenters and daily labourers, and more sales and employment for plumbing and sanitary companies.

I am not saying people go abroad to help India. But they do help much more than a domestic parallel person. And just that a person wants a good career abroad does not mean we should be sarcastic when he says he loves his country and wants it to be much better.
Portuguese Man-Of-War

by mango » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:12 pm

the right to vote would make it a little tougher for the politicians to pull the masses in. they'd have to cater to the citizens of the country outside who have no say in the country's matters otherwise.
2001 AV6 AT
mango

Re: voting rights for NRI

by prasadrao » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:18 am

J wrote:
prasadrao wrote:These are the people who feel how badly India needs stores like walmart, home depot, taco bells, etc.
Umm..wat exactly is wrong with the places in India? The markets here are well stocked. We don't need ur stupid Walmart, etc. Indians living in India are very pleased with what we've got here...

Consider if India has never opened free trade, a common mans life would have been much more miseralbe. I remember participating in elocution in school (1988) will computers eat away jobs or provide more jobs. Believe me find reasons why Shree Manmohan Singh is considered Economic Architect of our Nation.

prasadrao wrote:Infact these people are in better position to review economics of India and understand about standard of living for a common man.
It's veyr easy to sit in a foreign country and decide what's good for the country (and the so-called common man) u mentioned. Then y don't u give up all that and come here and do something about it?

I suggest you coming visit any NRI in foreign country. You will find Millions of NRIs waiting/hoping to return. Or atleast ask any person standing in line near Foreign Embassy for visa.

prasadrao wrote:If india does not provide enough money whats wrong stealing from USA and sending it back
Oh, is this the new method of justifying what u'r doing??

Dude i am not justyfing, thats what i was told by my principle when studying my school and engineering in India. I am sure they still use the same exact words.

prasadrao wrote:NRIs are most unfortunate who endanger losing their Identity, (Na Ghar Ka Na Ghat Ka), they are confused entire life.
Oh my god! Is he trying to get sympathy or something?? He comes one day, posts a coupla messages abt how "unfortunate" he is, and he xpects us to actually empathise with him?

Nice Reply J, I might have wrote the same reply if I would have been able to find job in India after my Engineering.
prasadrao

Previous                

Return to NRIs