Thursday, 28 March 2024 »  Login
in

Pharmacy in India???

For the Hyderabadis all over the world who believe there is only one home. Come in here and get a cuppa. Irani, of course!

Moderators: hitesh, The Moderator Team

Pharmacy in India???

by Hydro_Hunter » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:51 am

Hearing about it all the time in the news and finding it one of the top careers in the years to come, is pharmacy really a career someone should persue? Over here in the States, its picking up fast-and people are finding it difficult to find a seat in pharmacy schools. I know of five people who had to drop that career path because they couldnt get a seat anywhere...regardless of their high academic achievements?

A couple of weeks ago, i read a newspaper article of how now american pharmacuetical companies are turning their heads to indians pharmacuetical companies for partnerships and research. And that in a couple of years time, pharmacists are going to be in great demand-in india and all over--similar to the IT boom we all witnessed.

But, I am not in India and havent been to in a long time. Has anyone there noticed the difference? Are pharm. companies really looking for potential employees and pharmacists or is still a long way off? Should people seriously start thinking about a career in pharmacy?
Hydro_Hunter

by Vishrasayan » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:41 pm

Hi,

I can answer your queries, but I need to know what course/ program are you pursuing currently & where?
Dil pe mat le yaar....
http://vishrasayan.blogspot.com/
Vishrasayan

by Bimbette » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:14 pm

CROs (Contract Research Organisations) are catching on in a big way in India.

But there aren't too many companies in India that are into drug discovery (Ranbaxy and Dr. Reddy's are an exception). Its not difficult to guess why.

According to a study (Tufts Center for Study of Drug Development), the process of drug discovery and development takes 14.2 years (average) and costs $802 million.

The 23 Jan ' 06 issue of the Business World has covered the drug discovery services offered by Indian Companies.

http://www.businessworldindia.com/issue/index.asp

Copy the above URL in the address bar to know more.
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right.
Bimbette

by Hydro_Hunter » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:54 am

Thnks Bimbette--ill take a look at that link.

And Vish...to answer ur question: Im actually pursuing a degree in Physician;s Assistance. Similar to Pharmacy it is also finding ground in the medical field. Alot of money and not alot of work. :) My question regarding pharmacy and the growth of that field was purely out of curiousity--and a little apprehension...as to whether it could be looked upon as a second resort. Alot of my colleagues and friends are pursuing a degree in pharmacy and colleges are finding it very difficult to place the hundreds of freshman that come in looking for placements in grad. schools--so yea it would be wonderful to hear whatever insight that you may have. thanks again.
Hydro_Hunter

by Vishrasayan » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:35 pm

Hi - the career option close to your back ground in India would be CROs offering Clinical Research Services - I wouldn't call them greatly paying - but since there are a slew of CROs offering Clinical Services, a few years of experience will give you the power to bargain.

Pharmacy as such (as in formulating & dispensing) has no great career in India as the Healthcare system here is very different from that of US or EU - Here the doctors decide the drug combination, dosage and even the brand & the pharmacist has no role to play. Hence most Pharma grads diversify into more fetching fields like Biotechnology etc.

As bimbette said, the CRO are definitely driving the R&D scene in India. Just for info- there are primarily three kinds of CROs based upon the service offered 1) Medicinal Chemistry ( ~ organic synthesis) 2) Biotechnology (~ assay development & transgenic work) & 3) Clinical Services (bio-equivalence, bio-availability & clinical trial studies). I already mentioned about the Clinical Services. But the mega bucks are with Med-Chem and Biotech CROs where most career options are primarily for the Organic Chemists and Life sciences Grads at PG and Doctoral level.

I suggest that you check http://www.biospectrum.com for more intensive information on Life sciences Career in India
Dil pe mat le yaar....
http://vishrasayan.blogspot.com/
Vishrasayan

by Hydro_Hunter » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:22 pm

uh HUh...

got it.

But im not really looking into this field so i think im safe frm all the hassle..

I just hpe a PA has a lttle more ground in india in a couple of years...

thanks,

thou
Hydro_Hunter

Return to NRIs