Thursday, 28 March 2024 »  Login
in

Hyderabadi student kills himself in Springfield, Illinois

For the Hyderabadis all over the world who believe there is only one home. Come in here and get a cuppa. Irani, of course!

Moderators: hitesh, The Moderator Team

Hyderabadi student kills himself in Springfield, Illinois

by lonewolf » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:46 pm

This is a Hyderabadi student in my University.

Apparent suicide claims the life of UIS student

By Heather Shaffer - Editor in Chief

UIS student Srikanth C. Atluri died Friday at Memorial Medical Center because of an apparent suicide.

Atluri, 23, apparently set himself on fire Thursday in the 600 block of Toronto Road in Springfield.

According to Sgt. Pat Ross, spokesperson for the Springfield Police Department, �items have been recovered that in fact lead us to believe that this was an intentional act.�

Firefighters from Firehouse 11 on Toronto Road rushed to an area across from the fire station after receiving a 911 call from a resident saying that they had seen a man on fire.

The firefighters found Atluri, who had come to rest on a gravel road, and treated him before an ambulance arrived to transport him to the hospital.

Ross said that according to the initial reports, Atluri was conscious when the firefighters arrived on the scene and during the ride to the hospital. However, his entire body was severely burned.

Sangamon County Coroner Susan Boone confirmed that Atluri was pronounced dead at 7:42 a.m. on Friday.

Boone said that Atluri�s body was identified by photo identification and officials are currently in the process of doing fingerprint identification. However, a family member was present with Atluri at the hospital.

Boone said that no services are being planned in the United States. Atluri�s body has been released to a funeral home in Springfield, where it is being prepared to be immediately shipped to India, she said.

According to Ross, the department is investigating whether Atluri acted alone or was assisted and whether foul play was involved.

The State Journal-Register reported that investigators found a note Atluri wrote to a friend suggesting he might kill himself. The Springfield Police Department could not confirm or deny the existence of this note.

Atluri, a native of Hyderabad, India, was a part-time graduate student in the computer science program at UIS. He began classes at UIS in January 2005 after transferring from Oklahoma City University. He lived in the 2500 block of Delaware Drive in Springfield.

University officials could not comment on the situation at the time The Journal went to press. �Until the campus police receive confirmation of the individual�s identification from the Illinois State Police and the Springfield Police Department, we will not be able to make public this individual�s identity,� said Cheryl Peck, director of public relations at UIS.

According to Peck, the university was expecting this confirmation Monday, but due to some complications, it may be later in the week before they do receive it.

UIS student Shravan Avula knew Atluri and said he was pretty outgoing, participating in sports and cultural events at UIS.

This apparent suicide sent a shock wave through the Indian student population at UIS. �We are all really shocked. We wouldn�t expect something like this to happen and we are all really sad,� Avula said.

The UIS Counseling Center can provide counsel to individuals or groups who are grieving or affected by a loss, according to Judy Shipp, director of the UIS Counseling Center.
#$#$#u r acct #$@##@!@#
lonewolf
Level 2 Star User
Level 2 Star User

sad

by Sachin » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:35 am

Yeah loney hrd abt this thin.... I have a few frnd up there.... infact the guy Avula Shravan in the article is my best frnd.... feelin sad abt the incident may atluri's soul rest in peace.
Raj Singh Dungarpur to Mohammad Azizuddin Azharuddin
"Miya captain banoge"
Sachin

Re: sad

by lonewolf » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:58 am

Sachin wrote:Yeah loney hrd abt this thin.... I have a few frnd up there.... infact the guy Avula Shravan in the article is my best frnd.... feelin sad abt the incident may atluri's soul rest in peace.

I just heard from some UIS folks that he had a lot of debts, and his father has fallen very ill after hearing the news.
#$#$#u r acct #$@##@!@#
lonewolf
Level 2 Star User
Level 2 Star User

by gyanster » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:33 am

I am shocked at the news, but not really surprised. Any one going overseas from a Middle class family will have problems, huge problems. I did, and I felt that either I should go back to India or some drastic measures should be taken..
Kuch to bhi kare tho, Kya to bhi hota.
My Blog - http://ozdesi.blogspot.com
Coming to Australia? - http://studyinginaus.blogspot.com
gyanster

by CtrlAltDel » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:33 am

gyanster wrote:... I felt that either I should go back to India or some drastic measures should be taken..
:shock: like what? :o
wtf? i no longer care if my posts hurt yr feelings :roll:
Love me or hate me, u cant ignore me :D
CtrlAltDel
God!
God!

by smack » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:29 pm

gyanster wrote:I felt that either I should go back to India or some drastic measures should be taken..

So, Gyanster, what measures did u take?? :D :D

Sad to hear abt the news
Taking girls out and doing things?? Naaaah
Prefer taking them in and undoing things...
smack

by mango » Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:41 pm

why would you set yourself on fire to commit suicide? arent there much easier and less painful ways to die?

my sympathies to his family
2001 AV6 AT
mango

Stop being insensitive at the moment

by FT » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:16 pm

May Atluri's soul rest in peace.

Gyanstar, no judgments/speculations needed in the moment.

Most of Indians who come to study in US are from middle-class and lower middle-class families. Adversities are common, but not a systemic problem. So please keep ur speculation to self.
FT

by mango » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:48 am

gyanster wrote:I am shocked at the news, but not really surprised. Any one going overseas from a Middle class family will have problems, huge problems. I did, and I felt that either I should go back to India or some drastic measures should be taken..

dude.. come on

are you tryin to justify his decision to take his own life as a circumstance? i mean, he screwed up.. but there was really no reason to kill himself. if ur lonely, go and meet people -_- and no, not the ones that are six feet under. life has its challenges, and its really upto the person to meet them, IMO.

btw, what are these extreme measures ur talking about? do they include suicide?

and under what conditions do you consider it a valid option?
2001 AV6 AT
mango

Update

by lonewolf » Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:35 am

Update

Student remembered by friends, advisor

By Heather Shaffer - Editor in Chief

Those who knew Srikanth C. Atluri, the UIS student who died after an apparent suicide on Feb. 24, described him as an outgoing person who was largely involved in the campus community.

Jonathan GoldbergBelle, director of international affairs at UIS, knew Atluri and said he attended many social gatherings on campus and was usually surrounded by a group of people. “It seemed that he had a wide circle of friends,” GoldbergBelle said.

UIS student Sandeep Pamireddy also knew Atluri and described him as an outgoing person with a humorous personality. “He often initiated jokes when he was in a group of people,” he said.

Amit Veloor, UIS student who serves as the graduate assistant for international affairs, met Atluri at orientation in spring 2005 and became good friends with him. He described Atluri as a friendly person. “He used to call of his friends by the name ‘friendship.’”

Atluri was also involved in many sporting activities on campus. He participated in cricket, badminton and sand volleyball during his time at UIS.

GoldbergBelle said he interacted the most with Atluri at a cricket tournament on campus last spring. “He had a unique style of bowling. He was a spin bowler while most of the others are speed bowlers,” he said.

According to Pamireddy, Atluri was on a team that made it to the final round of that cricket tournament.

Also, The Journal reported on Nov. 16, 2005 that Atluri defeated Ravi Kandukuri in the Championship Match of the Intramural Men's Badminton Singles League. Atluri finished with a record of 4-1, with his only defeat coming from a forfeited match to Kandukuri in the semi-final round.

Atluri was also involved with the Indian Student Organization on campus, though not in an executive capacity.

According to GoldbergBelle, Atluri participated in a couple dances at the International Festival at UIS this fall. He was one of the dancers in the Punjabi Bangra dance, which was put together at the last minute, according to GoldbergBelle.

He said that at the first practice he was doubtful that the group would be able to have the dance ready in time for the festival, but the group was very enthusiastic and did come together and pull it off. “I think Srikanth was very much a part of the reason for them pulling it off,” he said.

Friends also described Atluri as an organizer. According to UIS student Shravan Avula, Atluri helped obtain a copy of a popular Telugu language movie that played in Brookens Auditorium last semester.

Atluri’s friends and acquaintances gathered for a memorial service held in his honor Thursday. According to GoldbergBelle, this ceremony was an important opportunity for the public to come together to grieve as well as celebrate Atluri’s life.

“A ceremony like this brings a certain amount of closure to the mourning process,” he said.

The Indian student population was most affected by Atluri’s death, according to GoldbergBelle, because they are a close-knit group. Several students within that population are actually from the same hometown as Atluri, he said.

During the memorial, members of the Indian Student Organization at UIS put together a slide show of pictures of Atluri to share with the campus community.

Atluri, 23, was a part-time graduate student majoring in computer science at UIS at the time of his death. He came to the United States in December 2005 from Hyderabad, India, to attend Oklahoma City University. He then transferred to UIS in January 2005.

GoldbergBelle said it could be weeks or months before the students most affected by this tragedy have closure. “It is difficult to get a sense of the impact on the campus community right now,” he said.

Source: http://www.uis.edu/journal/news.html
#$#$#u r acct #$@##@!@#
lonewolf
Level 2 Star User
Level 2 Star User

by gyanster » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:27 pm

Just came back after a few days and read the reaction to my comments. I am not justifying whatever he did... Drastic measures if you want to know included suicidal thoughts.. but that's just me..

No speculation involved, I am alive and kicking and wish that everyone has the strength to get through adversity.
Kuch to bhi kare tho, Kya to bhi hota.
My Blog - http://ozdesi.blogspot.com
Coming to Australia? - http://studyinginaus.blogspot.com
gyanster

by ***** » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:52 pm

Suicide is one of the worst memories that a loved one can leave for his family and friends. It is the worst punishment that a child can give to his parents.

Not for having nourished that little dot into a featus and then giving birth and the whole days of beautiful, fulfilling smiles and wiping tears and those long nights and days of colds and coughs and sickness, with a prayer always on the parents lips for the child to have the best- even if they dont get the best.

Comeon, man, the least that you can do in repayment to your parents is to live a happy life.

Happiness is your attitude. It is a state of mind. You give 'your' best to yourself and the rest will follow. For the guy who killed himself back in the States, he just needed to reach out for the right help, not for the petrol and the lighter !

Help is in abundance, all around us. A child's smile is a help, if you have the eyes for it. Volunteer at an orphanage- just a hug to one of those children leaves a memory indented. Go out into a cold night and see how many out there are sleeping even without a thin sheet ! Buy one and cover them- just one of the nights- just to one person. see how you feel !

Killing yourself !? comeon, be a MAN. LIVE in dignity, man.

Return to NRIs