Thursday, 18 April 2024 »  Login
in

Are returning NRIs treated with contempt? More so from USA?

For the Hyderabadis all over the world who believe there is only one home. Come in here and get a cuppa. Irani, of course!

Moderators: hitesh, The Moderator Team

Are returning NRIs treated with contempt? More so from USA?

by AN NRI » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:15 pm

Just received an email from a very well educated person, holding a very high position in India:

op 21 things an Indian does after returning to India from the "US" *

21. Tries to use credit cards in a road side hotel.

20 . Drinks and carries mineral water and always speaks of being health conscious.

19 . Sprays deo so that he doesn't need to take bath.

18. Sneezes and says 'Excuse me'.

17. Says "Hey" instead of "Hi".

Says "Yogurt" instead of "Curds".

Says "Cab" instead of "Taxi".

Says "Candy" instead of "Chocolate".

Says "Cookie" instead of "Biscuit".

Says " Free Way " instead of "Highway".

Says "got to go" instead of "Have to go".

Says "Oh" instead of "Zero", (for 704, he will say Seven Oh Four Instead of Seven Zero Four)

16. Doesn't forget to crib about the air pollution. Keeps cribbing every time he steps out.

15. Says all the distances in Miles (Not in Kilo Meters), and counts in Millions. (Not in Lakhs)

14. Tries to figure all the prices in Dollars as far as possible (but deep inside multiplies by 43).

13. Tries to see the % of fat on the cover of a milk packet.

12. When he needs to say Z (zed), he never says Z (Zed), instead repeats "Zee" several times, and if the other person is unable to get it, then says X, Y Zee(but never says Zed)

11 . Writes the date in MM/DD/YYYY. On watching traditional DD/MM/YYYY, says "Oh! British Style!!!!"

10. Makes fun of Indian Standard Time and the Indian Road Conditions.

9. Even after 2 months, complains about "Jet Lag".

8 . Avoids eating spicy food.

7. Tries to drink "Diet Coke", instead of Normal Coke. Eats Pizza instead of Dosa.

6. Tries to complain about any thing in India as if he is experiencing it for the first time. Asks questions etc. about India as though its his first visit to India .

5. Pronounces "schedule" as "skejule", and "module" as "mojule".

4. Looks suspiciously towards any Hotel/Dhaba food.

Few more important ones:

3. From the luggage bag, does not remove the stickers of the Airways by which he traveled back to India ,even after 4 months of arrival.

2. Takes the cabin luggage bag to short visits in India and tries to roll the bag on Indian Roads.

The Ultimate one

1. Tries to begin any conversation with "In US ...." or "When I was in US..."

My initial reaction: Pain and anger for the contempt that was shown towards NRI's , more so towards those of us living in USA. Was it an over-reaction? Should have I used my sense of humor? rather?

Two of the known families that went to India returned (one from bangalore and another from hyderabad) to USA cause they could not take similar contempt that I felt in the mail. More so when it was directed towards their children who have american accent.
AN NRI

by mango » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:19 am

i think #1 should be changed to

Another __ days till I go back to the US (insert hope-filled, dreamy eyed emoticon here)
2001 AV6 AT
mango

Re: Are returning NRIs treated with contempt? More so from U

by vivek » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:31 pm

Some of it is so damn true...the skedule word suddenly becomes a part of the lexicon. I have met so many idiots who come back with a slight accent on the "Rs" after a mere 3month stay. The asses are so eager to let people know that they travelled to the US they will just wait for to say it..picture this

Me : hey madhu, been long...whats wrong man why are your eyes so read

Madhu : Ah, nothin really been working a lot..

Me : Get some rest..

Madhu : Ya its been usuall..

Me : How come?

Madhu : I came back from the US...after 3 months and may be thats why

Me : When did you come back?

Madhu : 2 months ago..

Me (in my mind ): What the F..?

But what irritates me is the mineral water stunt suddenly indian bacteria is allover and more harmful and US bacteria.. and their crib about traffic conditions

"Oops...i was just driving my car and suddenly this biker came bang opposite in the wrong side...i mean what the hell is wrong here" they say. Forgetting that they also used to drive the same way.
http://www.wiredbeats.com - Download Attitude for Free!

How will it end?
vivek
Level 1 Star User
Level 1 Star User

by rabab » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:28 pm

Not every American Return does that..may be some who likes to show off
~*Hau Bole To Nakko Bol Te...Nakko Bole to Hau Bol te....Ya Hyderabadiyon Ki khaas Addat Jo Karo Bole so Nai Kartee*~
rabab

:re

by Ustaad » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:22 pm

Says "Oh" instead of "Zero", (for 704, he will say Seven Oh Four Instead of Seven Zero Four)

can you blame em? And thats how we holla at ya.

16. Doesn't forget to crib about the air pollution. Keeps cribbing every time he steps out.

now.. that's a bitch.

15. Says all the distances in Miles (Not in Kilo Meters), and counts in Millions. (Not in Lakhs)

i see no problem with that. Your mind is programmed that way. I wouldn't buy a car which does only 120 Km.ph an hour. wouldya?

14. Tries to figure all the prices in Dollars as far as possible (but deep inside multiplies by 43).

true. Thats called money management.

being health concious,again. Why is that a problem with some of our desi brothers/sistas in india ? i meant , being health concious?? i don't get that.

'Tofu is healthier than goat curry. '

12. When he needs to say Z (zed), he never says Z (Zed), instead repeats "Zee" several times, and if the other person is unable to get it, then says X, Y Zee(but never says Zed)

again..programmed that way.. when you live in a country where everybody says that...you will eventually pick it up..don'tyathink?

11 . Writes the date in MM/DD/YYYY. On watching traditional DD/MM/YYYY, says "Oh! British Style!!!!"

i still dislike the british.

thats bad. Do something about it..or STFU.

thats lame.Get some coffee.

personal choice. I love spicy food,though.

7. Tries to drink "Diet Coke", instead of Normal Coke. Eats Pizza instead of Dosa.

I crave pizza and i like 0 cal. drinks too. and i also like Dosa. your question ??

6. Tries to complain about any thing in India as if he is experiencing it for the first time. Asks questions etc. about India as though its his first visit to India .

last i heard, Hyd. changed dramatically. Whats wrong in being informed. Asking questions is a good skill to improve.

nothing wrong with that.

hell yeah. i would too.Like it or not ,i don't wanna be sick.

Few more important ones:

what are they important?

3. From the luggage bag, does not remove the stickers of the Airways by which he traveled back to India ,even after 4 months of arrival.

maybe he/shes too lazy... matter of fact, why remove at all?

2. Takes the cabin luggage bag to short visits in India and tries to roll the bag on Indian Roads.

personal choice.

The Ultimate one

he/she will if people want to hear their story... what else would they say..

"when i was there..." someone might ask "where?" ... and the reply would still be US.

i think your freind is insecure.Needs to grow up.
Prose for hos!

Ustaad

:re

by Ustaad » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:26 pm

can you blame em? And thats how we holla at ya.

now.. that's a bitch.

i see no problem with that. Your mind is programmed that way. I wouldn't buy a car which does only 120 Km.ph an hour. wouldya?

true. Thats called money management.

being health concious,again. Why is that a problem with some of our desi brothers/sistas in india ? i meant , being health concious?? i don't get that.
'Tofu is healthier than goat curry. '

again..programmed that way.. when you live in a country where everybody says that...you will eventually pick it up..don'tyathink?

i still dislike the british.

thats bad. Do something about it..or STFU.

after 2 months ? well, time to go to the Doctor...LOL

personal choice. I love spicy food,though.

I crave pizza and i like 0 cal. drinks too. and i also like Dosa. your question ??

last i heard, Hyd. changed dramatically. Whats wrong in being informed. Asking questions is a good skill to improve.

nothing wrong with that.

hell yeah. i would too.Like it or not ,i don't wanna be sick.

Few more important ones:

what are they important?

maybe he/shes too lazy... matter of fact, why remove at all?

personal choice...agaaaain..DUH

The Ultimate one

he/she will if people want to hear their story... what else would they say..
"when i was there..." someone might ask "where?" ... and the reply would still be US.

i think your freind is insecure.Needs to grow up.[i][/i]
Prose for hos!

Ustaad

oops.missed em

by UStaad » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:30 pm

21. Tries to use credit cards in a road side hotel.

i would if they accept.. who wants to carry cash all the time.

20 . Drinks and carries mineral water and always speaks of being health conscious.

nothing wrong being health concious.

19 . Sprays deo so that he doesn't need to take bath.

well, if theres water available.. for a shower..maybe he/she woudn't do that... LOL .
You gotta five props to him/her for using a deo,at least.

18. Sneezes and says 'Excuse me'.

Manners : a good thing . Anyways, what school did you go to ?

17. Says "Hey" instead of "Hi".

Says "Yogurt" instead of "Curds".

Says "Cab" instead of "Taxi".

Says "Candy" instead of "Chocolate".

Says "Cookie" instead of "Biscuit".

Says " Free Way " instead of "Highway".
Prose for hos!

UStaad

Re: :re

by ustaad » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:31 pm

LOL
Prose for hos!