Tuesday, 16 April 2024 »  Login
in

How many of ur contemplating moving back to India and why?

For the Hyderabadis all over the world who believe there is only one home. Come in here and get a cuppa. Irani, of course!

Moderators: hitesh, The Moderator Team

How many of ur contemplating moving back to India and why?

by Moving back? » Thu May 18, 2006 12:39 am

How many of you are contemplating moving back to India and why?
Prose for hos!

Moving back?

by gyanster » Thu May 18, 2006 5:41 am

I am contemplating. But it is only in the contemplating stage. There are pros and cons. Cons more than pros to move back.

But if I ever move back it will be for family and friends, nothing else.
Kuch to bhi kare tho, Kya to bhi hota.
My Blog - http://ozdesi.blogspot.com
Coming to Australia? - http://studyinginaus.blogspot.com
gyanster

by Aishwarya » Thu May 18, 2006 8:59 am

Well, very nice thread! Lets see:

Research is very good and lifestyle is pretty comfortable.. Lots of activities and different kinds of people to interact with and more importantly the freedom! All of these are the good points.

But, I miss home. I want to live close to my parents and you wont believe this, but I really want to give something back to my country. Plus thats where my heart is! :)
Aishwarya

by Reality » Thu May 18, 2006 9:31 am

One of the biggest reasons I would want to go back is that I feel I belong when I am in India. I feel safe walking out on the streets, feel confident about most things.

The thing I hate about India ,, is the uncertain future the future generations have in education, jobs and everyother field.
"REALITY IS THAT WHICH, WHEN YOU STOP BELIEVING IN IT,DOESN'T GO AWAY."-PHILIP K._.
Reality
Level 1 Star User
Level 1 Star User

by CtrlAltDel » Thu May 18, 2006 1:15 pm

Aishwarya wrote:...you wont believe this, but I really want to give something back to my country...
i believe u Aish! thats not the first time i am hearing that from someone abroad!
wtf? i no longer care if my posts hurt yr feelings :roll:
Love me or hate me, u cant ignore me :D
CtrlAltDel
God!
God!

by gyanster » Thu May 18, 2006 1:46 pm

Reality wrote: I feel safe walking out on the streets, feel confident about most things.

Come to Melbourne, you will feel safer.
Kuch to bhi kare tho, Kya to bhi hota.
My Blog - http://ozdesi.blogspot.com
Coming to Australia? - http://studyinginaus.blogspot.com
gyanster

re

by Ustaad » Thu May 18, 2006 7:47 pm

Aishwarya wrote:Well, very nice thread! Lets see:

But, I miss home. I want to live close to my parents and you wont believe this, but I really want to give something back to my country. Plus thats where my heart is! :)

Thank you. Aishwarya.

We all love our country and miss home and family.The point is "can you adjust to your old lifestyle , going back"?

Most of us seem to , some of us cannot. I could not.

I stayed back for a month(on a vacation) , had fun with family , freinds etc..Although i'am very attached to my family, cousins, and few freinds...had to come back to the US.

Life in India is definitely decent these days...with high paying salaries , western outlook of the masses but i had to come back here since life was too slow for me in India.(its a personal reason and everybody has different reasons,of course!)

i would not comment on Population,poverty,corruption,politicians,pollution because i grew up in India before i came here. And no matter how India is..i will always love it + its close to my heart.

watching the movie 'swadesh' made me very emotional . wonder why ?It only tells me my heart belong to India but my life is happy in the states.

"Happy" could be an overstatement,apparently.
Prose for hos!

Ustaad

coming back to india

by prasadrao » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:29 am

honestly, only because of my relatives and parents, no other reason at all. Outside India is much comfortable for people btw ages 20-50. Suggest spending old ages in India because u will die leaving back lot of money that belongs to India :)
prasadrao

Came back to India

by VJ » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:09 pm

Hahahahhaha....Iam already back in India. I saw the hell here eventhough it's my own place and my love towards this country and my people brought me back to India. After coming back I was put under tremendous pressure by everyone to get married and accept the job offered by one of the known ones and they expecting something in return from me. For about 1 year it was a life under total pressure and Iam totally unhappy about how things went for me.

I was lucky to live up to my decisions and ofcourse its my bold character too. Iam thinking to fly back to somewhere else now, this time its truly for money which I didn't do the last time.

So guys be careful when u r thinking to come back. Make a quality decision considering all the consequences and everything. Good luck everyone.

@VJ
Being Oneself is One of the Greatest Qualities of All Time In a Human Being.
VJ

by Cragg » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:53 am

:? :? :?
I have an attitude and I am not afraid to use it.
Cragg
Level 1 Star User
Level 1 Star User

by Sachin » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:59 am

for the love of the city called HYDERABAD, yeah you read it right.
Raj Singh Dungarpur to Mohammad Azizuddin Azharuddin
"Miya captain banoge"
Sachin

by Abhi » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:49 am

//One of the biggest reasons I would want to go back is that I feel I belong when I am in India. I feel safe walking out on the streets, feel confident about most things.

//

I feel the same.
Abhi

Moving back to India

by Indy » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:47 am

Hi

We moved back to India after 14 years in the US. Our kids were born in the US so, we wanted them to get a flavor of their 'Indian heritage' before they got too 'Americanized'. As many others our feeling was we wanted to 'change India for the better'. Noble thoughts, but not practical.

Professionalism in India--> almost non-existent, and I don't care if people scream at me for this. Accept it, work culture is very poor, work life balance non-existent, transparency and accountability way behind. We have no respect for people without giving regard to their social status. Our respect for personal space and freedom is not there and we are perfectly content to live with social 'values' that have not progressed beyond the zamindari system. The political system is facing a scarcity of educated people and on the whole society has picked up all the evils of 'Western' society (drinking, free sex, and don't care attitude) but none of its desire to continually improve ourselves and those around us.

We are now trying to get more people in social activities and volunteerism, but, more often than nought, many people reply, 'well if you're that unhappy, go back to the US'! Why? This is my country I have the right to good roads, good healthcare systems, good education and a class-less society where everyone gets respect for who they are as humans!

Unlike many of our friends, we have not taken up US citizenship and we were only hoping that our kids had enough reasons to consider India, when finally deciding their citizenship.
Wake up and smell the coffee!http://sahyadri.aidindia.org/ Volunteer today for a better India tomorrow.
Indy

Re: Moving back to India

by Sachin » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:47 am

Indy wrote:Hi
We moved back to India after 14 years in the US. Our kids were born in the US so, we wanted them to get a flavor of their 'Indian heritage' before they got too 'Americanized'. As many others our feeling was we wanted to 'change India for the better'. Noble thoughts, but not practical.

Professionalism in India--> almost non-existent, and I don't care if people scream at me for this. Accept it, work culture is very poor, work life balance non-existent, transparency and accountability way behind. We have no respect for people without giving regard to their social status. Our respect for personal space and freedom is not there and we are perfectly content to live with social 'values' that have not progressed beyond the zamindari system. The political system is facing a scarcity of educated people and on the whole society has picked up all the evils of 'Western' society (drinking, free sex, and don't care attitude) but none of its desire to continually improve ourselves and those around us.

We are now trying to get more people in social activities and volunteerism, but, more often than nought, many people reply, 'well if you're that unhappy, go back to the US'! Why? This is my country I have the right to good roads, good healthcare systems, good education and a class-less society where everyone gets respect for who they are as humans!

Unlike many of our friends, we have not taken up US citizenship and we were only hoping that our kids had enough reasons to consider India, when finally deciding their citizenship.

Kudos to you Indy for taking such a bold and trend setting move. I really do appreciate your thoughts but our country has been like that since ages and it cannot be changed overnight. I am happy with it as it is right now coz its making a move and that is what makes me optimistic.
"Miya captain banoge"
Sachin

by Indy » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:58 am

Well that's just great Sachin, you sit back and relax and be content with that attitude of yours. You and many others form the majority of the 'oh, we're fine' opinion in my personal surveys. Unfortunately, people are blissfully ignorant of the lopsided economic development going on India and its longterm effect on society. Not to mention the fact that India has become a dumping ground of waste material generated by us and from outside and the general public health and quality of life will continue to suffer as we 'progress'.
Wake up and smell the coffee!http://sahyadri.aidindia.org/ Volunteer today for a better India tomorrow.
Indy

well

by Sachin » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:12 pm

Indy wrote:Well that's just great Sachin, you sit back and relax and be content with that attitude of yours. You and many others form the majority of the 'oh, we're fine' opinion in my personal surveys. Unfortunately, people are blissfully ignorant of the lopsided economic development going on India and its longterm effect on society. Not to mention the fact that India has become a dumping ground of waste material generated by us and from outside and the general public health and quality of life will continue to suffer as we 'progress'.

You cannot bring changes in a country with such a huge population overnight. ahhhh ok so you call it lopsided development? you have nice positive outlook towards life mam.
"Miya captain banoge"
Sachin

by lonewolf » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:06 am

Indy wrote:Well that's just great Sachin, you sit back and relax and be content with that attitude of yours. You and many others form the majority of the 'oh, we're fine' opinion in my personal surveys. Unfortunately, people are blissfully ignorant of the lopsided economic development going on India and its longterm effect on society. Not to mention the fact that India has become a dumping ground of waste material generated by us and from outside and the general public health and quality of life will continue to suffer as we 'progress'.

That was a mean and hypocritical reply to Sachin's compliment. What he said was practical and true. You cannot expect a complete change of attitudes of Indians overnight. I believe we will change for the better someday; only it may not be in the near future.

You lived in the US for 14 whole years before "moving" to India. And the primary reason for your "moving" was for your children to be exposed to the Indian culture, not to make India a better place. Maybe you really do want to make India a better place, but that not the primary reason you "moved back".

Your rejection of the US citizenship is not worth complimenting. You obviously grew up in India, and your choice of not renouncing your Indian citizenship for US citizenship is nothing spectacular (If you have renewed your Indian passport in the US, read the last page about accepting US citizenship, you'll understand what you'll have to give up).

I can compliment you for the social causes you have in mind, but not for the holier-than-thou attitude about cleaning up India. I can wager than your "moving back" is temporary and short-term with the attitudes that you have. There is no short-cut for India's development in the areas you mentioned, and it is a long way ahead. Most people are optimistic about it, not only you or the gazillion NRIs who return to India for a short stint keeping in mind their children's education and Indian upbringing.

And don't diss peope when they point out the reality or that the road is longer than you think. You have stayed out of India for 14 years, you have no inkling of the current situation there.

Hey Sachin, did you get my PM about Kadix Testing in Fairfax (opposite Ballston metro)? Also, I might come to GMU this weekend; heard that they have Independence Day celebrations. Send me a message on Yahoo! messenger. Take care.
#$#$#u r acct #$@##@!@#
lonewolf
Level 2 Star User
Level 2 Star User

by mango » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:50 pm

mmmm... i guess its time to stir the pot. i have no intentions of returning to india. i mean, i would definitely consider it, but at this point in my life, as i enter college after having spent most of my formative years in the united states, i think i have grown more attached to this country.

i do have family back in india, in hyderabad but it seems as though my roots have been transplanted to california. i have a special love for this place from which i have learnt a lot.. *shrug* idk... its just cali!
2001 AV6 AT
mango

by Indy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:09 pm

lonewolf wrote:

That was a mean and hypocritical reply to Sachin's compliment. What he said was practical and true. You cannot expect a complete change of attitudes of Indians overnight. I believe we will change for the better someday; only it may not be in the near future.

You lived in the US for 14 whole years before "moving" to India. And the primary reason for your "moving" was for your children to be exposed to the Indian culture, not to make India a better place. Maybe you really do want to make India a better place, but that not the primary reason you "moved back".

Your rejection of the US citizenship is not worth complimenting. You obviously grew up in India, and your choice of not renouncing your Indian citizenship for US citizenship is nothing spectacular (If you have renewed your Indian passport in the US, read the last page about accepting US citizenship, you'll understand what you'll have to give up).

I can compliment you for the social causes you have in mind, but not for the holier-than-thou attitude about cleaning up India. I can wager than your "moving back" is temporary and short-term with the attitudes that you have. There is no short-cut for India's development in the areas you mentioned, and it is a long way ahead. Most people are optimistic about it, not only you or the gazillion NRIs who return to India for a short stint keeping in mind their children's education and Indian upbringing.

And don't diss peope when they point out the reality or that the road is longer than you think. You have stayed out of India for 14 years, you have no inkling of the current situation there.

Hey Sachin, did you get my PM about Kadix Testing in Fairfax (opposite Ballston metro)? Also, I might come to GMU this weekend; heard that they have Independence Day celebrations. Send me a message on Yahoo! messenger. Take care.

Well hello 'Sachin's friend', great, you really stuck up for your friend there! The reality my friend is clear from some news surveys doing the rounds:

1. people's first priority in India: making money (>60%)

2. Do they like Indian democracy as it is: yes (48%)

3. How many are willing to participate actively in politics? (16%)!!!!

(check out cnn-ibn hindu poll details, my numbers may be a little off)

And how many of those 16% actually want to do it out of mere patriotism and service to the nation??? That's not a whole lot of people friend! Of course things don't change overnight but who are you kidding with that statment. All you're saying is you don't want to sacrifice your personal comfort or 'rock the boat' by challenging established institutions! Don't look at the stock market when you make your statements but answer these:

1. Has our healthcare system changed for the better for the masses?

2. Has our education infrastructure improved at all?

3. Has regionalism, communalism etc increased or decreased after independence?

4. Has the gap between the rich and the poor decreased or increased?

5. Do you worry about any of these things for even one minute during the day and are you willing to change anything?

You are right, there are no short cuts to India's development, but if you really understood what development meant, you would be worried too! You're right I do have the option still about going back abroad.............you're wrong if you think it will be an easy decision that won't haunt me after that.

As for not taking up another country's citizenship, I'm hardly looking for your compliment, it's just a statement of the myriad of personal decisions that affect people's final choice. It is not an easy one to make always, for everyone.
Indy

oh yes

by Sachin » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:15 pm

Well hello 'Sachin's friend', great, you really stuck up for your friend there! The reality my friend is clear from some news surveys doing the rounds:

1. people's first priority in India: making money (>60%)
2. Do they like Indian democracy as it is: yes (48%)
3. How many are willing to participate actively in politics? (16%)!!!!
(check out cnn-ibn hindu poll details, my numbers may be a little off)

And how many of those 16% actually want to do it out of mere patriotism and service to the nation??? That's not a whole lot of people friend! Of course things don't change overnight but who are you kidding with that statment. All you're saying is you don't want to sacrifice your personal comfort or 'rock the boat' by challenging established institutions! Don't look at the stock market when you make your statements but answer these:

1. Has our healthcare system changed for the better for the masses?
2. Has our education infrastructure improved at all?
3. Has regionalism, communalism etc increased or decreased after independence?
4. Has the gap between the rich and the poor decreased or increased?
5. Do you worry about any of these things for even one minute during the day and are you willing to change anything?

You are right, there are no short cuts to India's development, but if you really understood what development meant, you would be worried too! You're right I do have the option still about going back abroad.............you're wrong if you think it will be an easy decision that won't haunt me after that.
As for not taking up another country's citizenship, I'm hardly looking for your compliment, it's just a statement of the myriad of personal decisions that affect people's final choice. It is not an easy one to make always, for everyone.

16 % of them interested in politics well thats a whopping majority Indy. One in every 6 of us want to participate actively in politics, that is really good. 60 % just want to make money, well who doesnt want to. Not everybody is happy with the democracy because of the communal elements.

The survey's results are just as expected dint see a reason for you to make a point over there. Well lets take TamilNadu for example it has benn having poor govts (excluding bihar) since 1980's but its a state which has the highest growth in literacy any reasons? does anything strike you mind?

We live in a democracy be a good individual and you can expect changes to happen.
"Miya captain banoge"
Sachin

by Indy » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:12 pm

Sorry Sachin, didn't get your point about TN, are you saying it's ok to put up with bad Governance because your literacy rate is high or you think the only 'good individuals' are in TN?

Oh and since you missed my point, for all of us clamouring for democracy, 16% is a pretty pathetic %age of 'intended' participation in the Governance of the country. Unless there is some sort of Dictatorship/military rule going on, that small a number of people are not going to achieve much good results.
Indy

by Sachin » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:16 pm

Indy wrote:Sorry Sachin, didn't get your point about TN, are you saying it's ok to put up with bad Governance because your literacy rate is high or you think the only 'good individuals' are in TN?

Oh and since you missed my point, for all of us clamouring for democracy, 16% is a pretty pathetic %age of 'intended' participation in the Governance of the country. Unless there is some sort of Dictatorship/military rule going on, that small a number of people are not going to achieve much good results.

you will not understand my pulse for reasons well known to you.

peace
"Miya captain banoge"
Sachin

Don't come back........

by VJ » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:59 am

Don't come back & don't come back. :shock: People here expect very unusual and much more than what u can really afford to do. I became one of the victim and I don't want anyone else experience the same. I'm writing with my experience and I almost lost 2 years experiencing the hell here. I was physically & mentally tortured by many people here for no reason. They just take away ur freedom and u will be forced or convinced to do things which u r not really interested in. :( I'm thinking to move back to somewhere else again. So guys, think twice when u r contemplating to move back.

@VJ
Being Oneself is One of the Greatest Qualities of All Time In a Human Being.
VJ

settling back

by prasadrao » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:18 am

Its been 5 years I have been in USA. Before 5 years, never imagined i ever leave my country unless my parents kicked me out since they faced tough life all time. People in USA have lot more choice, comfort and independance. This all luxuries over period have made used to here. Ofcourse now I feel uncomfortable if a close friend wears my shirt as granted, anybodies indulgence in personal life, road side free comments, etc.. Its nothing like becoming an NRI we have committed serious crime of losing indianism. Man is a social animal always looking for comfort he gets used to surrondings. Even an NRI returning back to India will be able settle down though he keeps on complaining things for several years. Its just a way of life a man gets used to. So NRIs when u r thinking of returning back to India for doing good or giving something return to your country u have to stop complainig and remember to adapt your good old days lifestyle.
prasadrao

Return to NRIs