Saturday, 27 April 2024 »  Login
in

Rock Climbing/Climbing Walls/Bouldering

Quizzing? Movies? Music? Tech? Cricket? God? Whatever your interests be, there are hundreds of your alter-egos on fullhyd.com - it's a whole city out there!

Moderator: The Moderator Team

Rock Climbing/Climbing Walls/Bouldering

by FT » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:50 am

Any climbing clubs/groups that meet regularly in Hyd? Any climbing resources specific to Hyd?

Will be in Hyd for abt four weeks in Feb/Mar and looking to do some climbing/bouldering.

Any gyms have climbing walls?

Any help will be appreciated.
FT

by CtrlAltDel » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:57 am

i have seen climbing walls at Prasads and Runway9. the new fancy gyms might have one too.

dunno abt climbing groups in hydbad
wtf? i no longer care if my posts hurt yr feelings :roll:
Love me or hate me, u cant ignore me :D
CtrlAltDel
God!
God!

by Mayavi Morpheus » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:10 am

In the good ol days we used to climb walls and jump over them to go to our hangout place. The budda Vice Principal probably used to work as a gate keeper before he was hired by our college :evil:

If you think its too nerdy to go to college even if its just to climb walls, you can go to any of the movie theater in hyderabad on a friday morning when a Yuvastar NBK or Megastar Chiranjeevi or Fatstar NTR's movies is being released :D
May the Fries be with you!
Mayavi Morpheus
Level 2 Lord
Level 2 Lord

by FT » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:44 pm

Thanks CAD, that's quite helpful.

Mayavi, pretty tempting, but will give those options a pass.
FT

by CtrlAltDel » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:19 am

i have replied to yr PM :D
wtf? i no longer care if my posts hurt yr feelings :roll:
Love me or hate me, u cant ignore me :D
CtrlAltDel
God!
God!

Re: Rock Climbing/Climbing Walls/Bouldering

by Red Combat » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:32 pm

FT wrote: Any climbing resources specific to Hyd?

Adventure Tourism

Rishi : 98854 52000

Hari : 92463 76269
Let's get out of these wet clothes and into a dry Martini.
<I>-Every Day's a Holiday</I>
Red Combat
Level 1 Star User
Level 1 Star User

Update

by FT » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:52 am

This is a quick summary of what I found on climbing in Hyd, while I was there for a few weeks.

Hyderabad, has limited visible climbing culture. There are two walls publicly available (as far as CAD and others could inform me on).

One is located at the Imax theatre on Necklace road. This one has two routes. Cost is Rs. 25 per climb. The first route is for kids. The second route is about 5.6/7 in difficulty, until it reaches the incline. Then half way through the incline, difficulty is kicked up a few notches to 5.8+/5.9, requiring a serious dyno move to reach for the next set of holds. The objective here is to challenge folks, not to necessarily make climbing fun. Personally, wasn't too much fun of a workout. I climbed half a dozen times, never finishing the dyno move. The owner of this wall, Rishi Charan Singh organizes outdoor climbing sessions, mostly for beginners, but none were in progress while I was in Hyd.

The next wall is at Runway 9, a primarily go-carting place, about 9 km from Paradise in Sec'bad. There primarily two routes, both of them under 5.7+. After climbing up and climbing back down, I found the routine boring. So I climbed diagonally, which provided for some good workout. The charges here are Rs. 20 to enter the complex, and Rs. 40 per climb. Rather steep for the quality of climbs.

But the real treat for a climber in Hyderabad is the boulder filled landscape and the rock formations. Hyderabad is a boulderer's Mecca. Located on a plateau, it has some of the world's most interesting rock formations. On the last weekend, i visited the boulders around Gunrock Enclave in Tirumalagiri and did some bouldering, alone. Not really safe, so after about an hour of scratches and bruises navigating the shrubbery around the boulders, I gave up, also partly of fear of getting into a stupid situation.

With bouldering in Hyderabad, one has to be wary of a peculiar challenge in Hyderabad.

If the boulder summit is accessible by means of walking to the top, and closer to human habitations, then more often than not, your reach to the summit will have to be followed by carefully chosen spot on the top with certainty that the top is not despoiled by excreta of a previous summiteer. Otherwise, as a friend of mine puts it, what will follow is a resounding ‘PACCHAK!!’
FT

Re: Update

by Red Combat » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:09 pm

FT wrote:This is a quick summary of what I found on climbing in Hyd, while I was there for a few weeks.

Hyderabad, has limited visible climbing culture. There are two walls publicly available (as far as CAD and others could inform me on).

One is located at the Imax theatre on Necklace road. This one has two routes. Cost is Rs. 25 per climb. The first route is for kids. The second route is about 5.6/7 in difficulty, until it reaches the incline. Then half way through the incline, difficulty is kicked up a few notches to 5.8+/5.9, requiring a serious dyno move to reach for the next set of holds. The objective here is to challenge folks, not to necessarily make climbing fun. Personally, wasn't too much fun of a workout. I climbed half a dozen times, never finishing the dyno move. The owner of this wall, Rishi Charan Singh organizes outdoor climbing sessions, mostly for beginners, but none were in progress while I was in Hyd.

The next wall is at Runway 9, a primarily go-carting place, about 9 km from Paradise in Sec'bad. There primarily two routes, both of them under 5.7+. After climbing up and climbing back down, I found the routine boring. So I climbed diagonally, which provided for some good workout. The charges here are Rs. 20 to enter the complex, and Rs. 40 per climb. Rather steep for the quality of climbs.

But the real treat for a climber in Hyderabad is the boulder filled landscape and the rock formations. Hyderabad is a boulderer's Mecca. Located on a plateau, it has some of the world's most interesting rock formations. On the last weekend, i visited the boulders around Gunrock Enclave in Tirumalagiri and did some bouldering, alone. Not really safe, so after about an hour of scratches and bruises navigating the shrubbery around the boulders, I gave up, also partly of fear of getting into a stupid situation.

With bouldering in Hyderabad, one has to be wary of a peculiar challenge in Hyderabad.

If the boulder summit is accessible by means of walking to the top, and closer to human habitations, then more often than not, your reach to the summit will have to be followed by carefully chosen spot on the top with certainty that the top is not despoiled by excreta of a previous summiteer. Otherwise, as a friend of mine puts it, what will follow is a resounding ‘PACCHAK!!’
neat
Let's get out of these wet clothes and into a dry Martini.
<I>-Every Day's a Holiday</I>
Red Combat
Level 1 Star User
Level 1 Star User

by FT » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:25 am

Another quick addition to the above.

Mumbai has far more vibrant climbing culture. My guess would be that there are between 30-50 serious climbers in Mumbai alone (based on what I saw visibly and chatter on the web.)

There's a really good climbing wall in Mumbai. Arun Samant Climbing Wall at Nandadeep Highschool, Lane No.4, Jaiprakash Nagar, Goregaon (E). It's really close walking distance from the Goregaon station. There's a monthly fees of about Rs. 300 or Rs. 30 per day. More details can be found at http://girivihar.tripod.com/.

The wall itself is in the open, so day time climbing can be difficult (the wall would be heated up by exposure to sun). In any case, the wall is open from 6 pm (Indian Standard Time). The guys running this place are really nice, and will provide for harnesses and chalk bag. All you need would be your own shoes.

The surface is concrete, so your shoes (and ur knees) will take a lot of wear and tear. The holds are tenuous at times, so watch out for that.

There are two faces to the wall, one with easier set of climbs (5.6 thru 5.7+ or 5.8-). The other face has serious undercling (and climbs could rate between 5.8 and 5.9/10 possibly). The wall also has a chimney and chute, so making up for potentially interesting climbs.

Height of the wall, my guess is about 35-40 feet.

The guys I met at the wall get out and climb outside pretty often. Seems like there are plenty of previously explored routes and climbs around Mumbai, and potential for many more to be explored. Pity I was in Mumbai for only two days.

As for the gear, there seem to be couple of suppliers. One of who I visited and found the gear to be of decent quality. AVI Industries. Ravi Kamath, the owner was helpful. He apparently sells in quite a few other cities (including Bangalore.) You could contact him through his website http://www.aviindustries.com/. This guy is located in a non-descript shop off a bylane outside of the Matunga station.
FT

Re: ...

by Bimbette » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:01 am

FT wrote:Another quick addition to the above.

Mumbai has far more vibrant climbing culture. My guess would be that there are between 30-50 serious climbers in Mumbai alone (based on what I saw visibly and chatter on the web.)

There's a really good climbing wall in Mumbai. Arun Samant Climbing Wall at Nandadeep Highschool, Lane No.4, Jaiprakash Nagar, Goregaon (E). It's really close walking distance from the Goregaon station. There's a monthly fees of about Rs. 300 or Rs. 30 per day. More details can be found at http://girivihar.tripod.com/.

The wall itself is in the open, so day time climbing can be difficult (the wall would be heated up by exposure to sun). In any case, the wall is open from 6 pm (Indian Standard Time). The guys running this place are really nice, and will provide for harnesses and chalk bag. All you need would be your own shoes.

The surface is concrete, so your shoes (and ur knees) will take a lot of wear and tear. The holds are tenuous at times, so watch out for that.

There are two faces to the wall, one with easier set of climbs (5.6 thru 5.7+ or 5.8-). The other face has serious undercling (and climbs could rate between 5.8 and 5.9/10 possibly). The wall also has a chimney and chute, so making up for potentially interesting climbs.

Height of the wall, my guess is about 35-40 feet.

The guys I met at the wall get out and climb outside pretty often. Seems like there are plenty of previously explored routes and climbs around Mumbai, and potential for many more to be explored. Pity I was in Mumbai for only two days.

As for the gear, there seem to be couple of suppliers. One of who I visited and found the gear to be of decent quality. AVI Industries. Ravi Kamath, the owner was helpful. He apparently sells in quite a few other cities (including Bangalore.) You could contact him through his website http://www.aviindustries.com/. This guy is located in a non-descript shop off a bylane outside of the Matunga station.

Hi,

I am not a 'climber' but on my last trip to Mumbai I did the climb at Hiranandani.

I don't know how many people have been there and its probably child's play for the real climbers but I enjoyed myself, considering I had never 'climbed' before.

I don't remember how tall the wall was but I do remember it was an arduous task, defying gravity! :) . I have to confess it was well worth my time !

Adventure sports challenge the limits of human endurance and I'm glad I went for this one.
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right.
Bimbette

by smack » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:16 am

Tempted now
Taking girls out and doing things?? Naaaah
Prefer taking them in and undoing things...
smack

Further on climbing

by FT » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:34 pm

If tempted, you could always explore resources online like rockclimbing.com, etc, figure out the basic techniques and pursue with friends in and around Hyd.

Gear is initially a bit expensive. But comparable to annual gym fees. Good shoes can set u back by about 3-5 thousand, ropes similarly, harness for half that. So all for an initial investment of about 10-15 k, you could start rock climbing. But then you can get old canvas shoes resoled with rubber that gives u traction on rock to reduce on the cost (a mochi could do that). But ropes better be good and proven (after all - your life depends on them.) Helmet is a must if you are planning on lead climbing (that is instead of anchoring from the top (top roping), the first climber fixes anchors as going up the route.

Bouldering is less expensive, but you definitely need a partner to spot you, if you fall - so as to break your fall from behind. Only expense here is shoes.

Mumbai, Bangalore and Delhi have their own growing group of rock climbers. Would be nice to put Hyd on the map. (Unfortunately, I have couple of more years before I can be back in Hyd fulltime.)

Climbing is very meditative. When on the rock or a route, all you are focussed about is the next hold and the objective, that nothing else matters. It also tends to get very addictive as u realize you are getting better at it. So that's a long term commitment to working out and keeping in shape.

Hey, mine is a passion. Along with a passion for Hyd. Anything I could do to bring the two together...:)
FT

Re: Further on climbing

by smack » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:01 pm

FT wrote:If tempted, you could always explore resources online like rockclimbing.com, etc, figure out the basic techniques and pursue with friends in and around Hyd.

Hey, mine is a passion. Along with a passion for Hyd. Anything I could do to bring the two together...:)

Hey FT, thanks a lot for the info. Must have taken some time to write that.

Will certainly try soon.
Taking girls out and doing things?? Naaaah
Prefer taking them in and undoing things...
smack

by Peter Camenzind » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:21 pm

Bimbette wrote:
Hi,

I am not a 'climber' but on my last trip to Mumbai I did the climb at Hiranandani.

I don't know how many people have been there and its probably child's play for the real climbers but I enjoyed myself, considering I had never 'climbed' before.

I don't remember how tall the wall was but I do remember it was an arduous task, defying gravity! :) . I have to confess it was well worth my time !

Adventure sports challenge the limits of human endurance and I'm glad I went for this one.

.. :shock: :shock: Hiranandani!!! my office is there only... :) . I think u did climb at " Go Carting area(down the hill) ... right..?? I usually go there at week-end evenings. But never thought of climbing... because there i see kids climbing... :roll:
For me..Journey of life is important than just destinations

Pete's world!
Peter Camenzind

by Bimbette » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:57 pm

Peter Camenzind wrote:
.. :shock: :shock: Hiranandani!!! my office is there only... :) . I think u did climb at " Go Carting area(down the hill) ... right..?? I usually go there at week-end evenings. But never thought of climbing... because there i see kids climbing... :roll:

If you call 20-somethings "kids", so be it !
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right.
Bimbette

Climbing in hyderabad

by venu » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:28 am

THanks FT. that was a helpful description. Last time I was in India, I climbed the wall at prasads. I will be in hyderabad from during the month of december and would love to get some actual climbs there.
venu

by ledzep » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:46 am

Hi Good ground work there FT.

I'm planning something similar for hyderabad..put up a climbing place where ppl can hang out and have fun at the same time...

I think location is atmost important for the success of a climbing place.

Will be planning to relocate in abt 2 yrs to hyderabad..will scope out my options...let me know if you are game...

nothing like finding passionate ppl abt the sport!!!!..

contact me @ mahavi@gmail.com....

chalo fir........

ledzep/vee
ledzep

by solosynergy » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:29 pm

I dont know if this is the right place to bring this up. But then i have been looking for a place to trek up a hill somewhere near hyd. anywhere upto 60km is good. Karnataka and Kerala have loadsa of places to trek up hills and its pretty expensive getting all the way till there. Is there any place in the vicinity where its possible to trek up a hill and set camp over there. FT you seem to be really good at this and i have been looking for a trekking place around hyd in years. unfortunately i end up going to Karnataka,Kerala or Maharashtra.
solosynergy
Level 1 Star User
Level 1 Star User

by Diyanat » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:13 am

Hyderabad now has a active climbing community of about 100 climbers with 30 of them fairly experienced at both indoor and outdoor climbing.

The Climbing events are conducted by the Great Hyderabad Adventure Club a Not for Profit Organization that promotes Adventure in Hyderabad.

Facilities include indoor climbing at latitudes gym and outdoor climbing at the numerous rocks around Hyderabad. The club provides training, rock climbing Equipment, Boudlering Shoes of all Sizes and a supportive group.

join them at http://www.ghac.in
Diyanat

by Jill » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:22 am

Diyanat wrote:Hyderabad now has a active climbing community of about 100 climbers with 30 of them fairly experienced at both indoor and outdoor climbing.

The Climbing events are conducted by the Great Hyderabad Adventure Club a Not for Profit Organization that promotes Adventure in Hyderabad.

Facilities include indoor climbing at latitudes gym and outdoor climbing at the numerous rocks around Hyderabad. The club provides training, rock climbing Equipment, Boudlering Shoes of all Sizes and a supportive group.

join them at http://www.ghac.in

Hello,

This website that you mentioned does not work. Is there another website that I could go to kind of interact with other climbers and find out about upcoming events?
Jill

by Priyank » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:25 pm

hi,
you can contact me for rock climbing details on 9701706333 or visit site climb.ghac.in . we are group of climbers.

Regards

Priyank Shah
Priyank

Return to Special Interest Groups