Thursday, 28 March 2024 »  Login
in

What do I do after MS (surgery)?

Welcome to the largest Hyderabadi forum on earth! Start discussions about anything from cool eat-outs and value gyms to terrorism, seek help, plan outings, make friends, and generally have fun!

Moderator: The Moderator Team

by Mr Gopalakrishnan Nair » Sun Feb 23, 2003 12:14 pm

Nowadays there are more and more doctors. Especially in Andhra, every house has a doctor. I finished my MBBS in six and a half years. No proper job after that. For 3 years I wandered all over South India. Finally managed to get MS (surgery). Passed in 4 years. Now with terrible competition, even MS has not much value. Please all nonmedicos, suggest some good ways to survive in nonmedical areas...
Mr Gopalakrishnan Nair

by N » Mon Feb 24, 2003 10:28 pm

it might be a bit harsh suggestion, but try it. try working for a company which does clinical trials/ in vivo studies, theres huge potential for this area. forget abt being a \'doc\' and try to be a \'vet\' coz ur a surgeon !! apply for some vet jobs abroad and try ur luck.
ZEE: the Colossus
N

by RP » Tue Feb 25, 2003 9:41 pm

Get some venture funding, open a shop, practice medicine, gradually repay, make a tonne of money, and be happy. I make it sound easy but the road to success is not a bed of roses either. Consider entrepreneurship. That is almost the only and definite way to be successful these days.
RP

by Burp » Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:21 pm

Try to do voluntary work in villages. If you click there, u can open a small clinic and from there gradually build a hospital. howz that sound?
Burp

by Meeyabhai » Wed Feb 26, 2003 7:43 am

go easy Nair. Try openigns abroad. Don;t go through consultants. As suggested, try some voluntary work instead.
Meeyabhai

by goodface » Wed Feb 26, 2003 10:45 am

maye u could make it in medical transcription why not try that out.
goodface

by soundlife » Wed Feb 26, 2003 10:48 am

could tell us about your specialization.
soundlife

by peeping tom » Thu Feb 27, 2003 9:14 pm

East or West, Medical professionals are the best.
peeping tom

by N » Thu Feb 27, 2003 9:23 pm

true man, when ever i go out with my aunt who is a doc,good old lady is retired but even now i hear this salaam madam, namasthe madam,everywhere we go. i sometimes wonder y i am an engineer, but to be successful , it takes a lot of time and patience.
ZEE: the Colossus
N

by Anil » Sat Mar 01, 2003 5:37 am

Dr Nair, Looks like you are really frustrated (I noticed you preferred to address yourself Mr rather than Dr). Don\'t be dejected. I had been through the same not very long ago. I have a Masters in Surgery (2 gold medals to boast off), worked for 3 years in India. None of the jobs quenched my thirst for excellence. There was always this feeling that I am not doing what I was meant to. Struggled hard for 2 years moved into Bioinformatics and now I am quite stable in USA working at Cincinnati Children\'s Research Foundation. The bottom line is don\'t give-up. Excuse me, if I sound preachy. But please remember, every dog has its day! Best Wishes
Anil

Re: What do I do after MS (surgery)?

by how to do it? » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:16 am

anilkgoud wrote:Dr Nair, Looks like you are really frustrated (I noticed you preferred to address yourself Mr rather than Dr). Don\'t be dejected. I had been through the same not very long ago. I have a Masters in Surgery (2 gold medals to boast off), worked for 3 years in India. None of the jobs quenched my thirst for excellence. There was always this feeling that I am not doing what I was meant to. Struggled hard for 2 years moved into Bioinformatics and now I am quite stable in USA working at Cincinnati Children\'s Research Foundation. The bottom line is don\'t give-up. Excuse me, if I sound preachy. But please remember, every dog has its day! Best Wishes

DR ANIL,its been very nice to hear that you are in US now. :)
I have just completed MBBS from India(govt medical college) and now i am currently working as a surgical registrar with a dream of going//settling in US.except USMLE what other options are there to go there ? i am eager for a non clinical stream(but satisfying) also.Would be very pleased to hear your story about how u proceeded to build your career there.
emailme - aspiringbuddy@gmail.com
how to do it?

Re: What do I do after MS (surgery)?

by Nupur Sharma » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:24 pm

First, is to keep doing general surgery, train yourself in minimally invasive (laparoscopic and these days robotic surgery). Robotic surgery is the future and has good scope.

Second, is to go for super specialization in Cardiac, Neurosurgery, Urology, GI etc

Other options include further studies or interviews to go abroad and find a career there.
Nupur Sharma

Return to The Hyderabadi Planet!