Friday, 29 March 2024 »  Login
in

TV news channels killing Hyderabad's image for TRPs

Problems with inefficient/corrupt officers? Cheated by someone? Complaints about the administration? Get heard by the city here!

Moderator: The Moderator Team

Re: TV news channels killing Hyderabad's image for TRPs

by G Uma » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:31 am

The main incentive for agitators (and terrorists) is the publicity for their cause. Our media just play into their hands by giving not just the footage, but several programs around it, like panel discussions, interviews with victims etc. In countries like China and Russia, there is a complete blackout of media in such incidents. Remember the Russian school hostage drama a few years back? While we may argue for the freedom of expression, we should not forget its spirit.
Right now, the media is obsessed with showing all that is bad in the society. Many of us know that there is a whole lot of good work too - from individuals to organisations, bringing positive change. Programs featuring such efforts are shown during some obscure hour, barely making an impact.
I think the media should not forget how powerful it is and not abuse it - as it is now doing.
Every time we think the media can't get worse than this, they stoop a level lower.
I am happy to join this collective voice of reason, is someone listening?
G Uma

by Pavan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:34 pm

Do any of these channels realize what will be the effect of thier stupid reporting?

In fact fo rmost of the people who are ouside India, these news seems to be real. One thing is that we have to give a great appluase for the person who will be doing the content writing.

They make it sound so convincing that most of them really believe in it. In fact, I am in Dubai, and I was afraid to step into Hyderabad, even when I had some urgent issues on hand, because of this reporting.

Do you think it is cruel to make a living on others fears (or rather by generating a fear factor in others). These news channels are making nothing out of it except making people to loose faith.

This is in fact what I call indirect support to teh so called "Naxalism", "Terrorism".

STOP IT NOW!!!!
Pavan

by Dipak » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:10 pm

All I say is that everything is fair if u run your business with ETHICS n INTEGRITY. However, reckless coverage and over indulgence in sensitive issues to create CRATER is a deep INSENSITIVE journalism.

So far looking at a Macro level it looks like only the Political Parties and Media have benefited from the recent controversies.

I just want to keep it short n simple stating that if you are really serious about any issue, deal with it responsibility and integrity.
Dipak

by Mahek » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:16 pm

I would like to start by giving an example:

5-6 journalists and 10-15 fifteen people come to tank bund road, start shouting, (case of journalist who was taken into custody because of spreading false rumors of reliance being mastermind of ysr's death).

The news reporter reported: "Hundreds of people are shouting slogans in favor of the journalist, who picked up a story from internet and showed it in the news channel."

Pointing to one of the 10 protestors:"Sir, what do you think about this move by government is?" ,

Protestor:(in full rage)"This is murder of democracy. The government is trying to control media by telling us what we can and what we cannot publish... there is no freedom... "

Reporter:"As you can see, hyderbad is stunned by the government action on an innocent journalist, we wait and watched the fate of the editor and how crueler the government can become."

~~ End of story ~~ The motive behind the story was probably to make people forget the lakhs of rupees of damage done by congress workers overnight to reliance shops around andhra.

Today if you have 10 people, a camera, a burning tyre, you can probably report about communal riots in africa.

A serious warning to people in Media, those who are keeping quiet and letting this happen will surely suffer themselves in the long run. Awaken Real Journo's.

Also, I would suggest most news channels to be moved to entertainment category than news category.
Mahek

by Venkat » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:47 pm

TRP has become one vicious cycle that is pushing the channels to show and influence the minds of viewers. The problem is already there in the society in the form of stress with the life style and this kind of negative coverage is spoiling the cool Hyd. We all lived there like birds in a nest..remember the lingo, chai and the harmony...I felt very happy when all the hard work of middleclass students paying up well in getting companies and jobs into Hyd. These negative over dosed one sided view coverage is spoiling the image creating un explainable heaviness in the heart. What is all this for, this is making the situation all the worse, we are losing commonsense, spoiling a big opportunity to make Hyd one of the best in the country and the world. Please for the GOD sake stop your 'true journalism', have some values and positive intent in the coverage. It's not all money; it's the future and feelings tied up with Hyd.
Venkat

by Ramakrishna Neti » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:33 pm

Yes I fully agree with the damage caused by TV Channels by sensationalizing and exaggerating things out of proportion.

Ramakrishna Neti
Ramakrishna Neti

by Telugu TV news channels Killing Hyderaba » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:03 pm

Yes, I agree with you as this is ridiculous about these channels repeated showing nonsense, the way questions are put even by the news readers are disgusting, with this what these TV channels want to make, Hyderabad as Sick?? I feel ther should be tough legislation for journalism as these journalist think they are more than above law and Priminister of India. SOme body has to terminate this process permenantly.
Srinivas
Telugu TV news channels Killing Hyderaba

by gaurav » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:17 pm

I hope that most Hyderabadis are as enlightened as this bunch here...we should be able to see through this hoopla. The best way to lower the TRPs is for us to NOT watch these channels at all.

Just stop watching them and spread the word around to friends and families. That should do some damage at least.

It pains me to see what we have done to an incredible city....its sad. But we can do something about it, in our very small way as well...
gaurav

by VJ » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:46 pm

I quite commend the fullhyd team for this initiative. The problem is serious indeed. However, it brings up too many concerns at one go and demands, for its resolution, introspection on the part of citizens - each one of us - too.

There are three entities here.
1.Reporter
2.News channel
3.Viewer

Reporter: lacks in sensibility to report accurately, courage to report impartially, and the restraint to not pass inferences as facts. One of the biggest challenges for accurate reporting is information asymmetry. How many reporters are taught about this? All he cares for is the byline, an impressive add to his CV, a pat from his boss, an encouraging appraisal, and to wake up the next morning with his job intact. The boss is as anxious and concerned about his job. Effectively, they exploit their copywriting, articulation and filmmaking skills to hype any event that has scope for sensationalism. In short, they "make" news and broadcast. Mavericks are, let's be honest, very very few in number. Vinod Mehta, one of the very few upright chaps in media, admits that objective journalism is dead. Reporters believe that cracking a sensational story is the shortest route to success in their career. And when we ourselves think, driven by the need for security, that it's sensible to rather conform than to put the job at stake when it comes to it, how do we stop such reporters from conforming?

Nonetheless, it'd be better if reporters value accuracy, impartiality and fairness.

News channel: marketing-driven rather than content-driven. Operates like any other business house. Profit is its objective. News has been reduced to entertainment. Varma's latest flick Rann gives good insights into how the media houses run. An absolute sorry state of affairs, but that's what we have. How do we make them realise their primary responsibilities? Are they open to it at all? As one of the readers rightly mentioned, the obsession with "exclusive" footage was taken to an unhealthy level during 26/11. The news channels actually helped the terrorists by airing the footage live! And, curiously, it took a foreign documentary filmmaker to research the "behind the scenes" role of media! What hope can we have?

Doordarshan still does good reporting. But how many of us watch DD!!? We like conspiracy theories, and the shameless news channels give us the same. So, shouldn't we also reflect how harmful our viewing habits are?

Viewer: the end user. The consumer. You and I. Prefers to watch everything "live". Readily believes in conspiracy theories (it's useless to deny this, for it's just too obvious). He is the one who actually spreads the news by word of mouth. He hypes the event himself, when he reports it to another! It's another matter that he refuses to see or admit this (just like the reporter or the news channel do, too). Enjoys watching (although it sound unbelievable, sad news also contribute to enjoyment!) the crap and gets back to another anxious day in his life.

So, frankly, who cares!?

I hope, though, that whoever has taken part in this discussion is earnest in his stand and genuinely seeks a more responsible media and, importantly, also realises his own responsibility.

I quite wish this campaign makes a significant impact (given that media are too careless and irresponsible to hear the voice of the people).
VJ

by Always a hyderabadi » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:30 am

Its time every one acted with responsibility and sense of belonging. We have to show every one no matter what happens in the next few months hyderabad will re bound stronger than ever. The TV channels may be airing disturbing news now, but must realise that they have to air sensible news to garner TRP ratings as people have become much smarter. I hope better sense prevails and all TV channels start working towards building towards brand hyderabad. Brand Hyderabad is required for everyone irrespective of the political consequences.
Always a hyderabadi

by Chris » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:01 pm

The levels to which irresponsible TV journalism have sunk to are downright disgusting and disturbing. What happened to the ethics and honesty that gave the media the power to motivate, guide and affect change! India gets enough bad press as it is in the international press; I hope these dumb TRP hungry news mongers realize the damage they are doing to our city and our country.

The press wonders why the cops lost it and beat their brethren up. Something a cop would never do 10-15 years back and it was purely out of respect and awe of the media.

Remember, if you lose the faith of your viewer/reader, your profession will die a quick and ignominious death. Learn your lessons, new age pressmen, and learn it fast. Honour your profession - BEHAVE RESPONSISBILY and ETHICALLY.
Chris

by Gemini » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:21 pm

Hello Sir/Mam,

I Never Like this Telugu TV News Channels, as per past couple of months this TV News channels are spreaded the news about Telangana mainly this channels played an important role in this very much worst of this news channels playing, as per my suggestion need to bring one special act from Supreme Court as no channel should not cover the news like people who are damaging public properties doing Darna's Strikes etc who did recent past about Telangana by seeing media especially this TV channels that people/Students will over reacting so please bring one strict act regarding this TV news channels, if any body found after bringing that act need to cancel and seize the channel for life long.

Thanks,
Regards,
Shiva Kumar P
Gemini

by viju » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:35 am

Ya, it is very old news that the media has been sensational for quite some time now. I am almost ashamed I was part of this profession once upon a time. Agreed there are good and bad apples in every profession, but it seems the media is mostly bad apples in their bid to outdo others for TRPs and revenues. Everything bad is blown out of proportion.

In some developed nations, the media works differently. The front page almost always have a positive story for the main headline. Not that horrible incidents or crap don't happen there - but then, politics isn't really the staple diet for the headlines there. There are stories about people - the common people, their lives, their festivals, their community work, the development around them, the civic issues and the resolving of those issues, the good work of NGOs, the booming innovative businesses even in the recession, the efforts and special initiatives of local governments to attract investments, the new and upcoming infrastructure etc...

How come, we don't feature such news except for in some tiny space like in hidden 17th page or so between all the Obit ads?

How come, for the media, anything good is so bad to cover? Why is only the bad good enough for the front page, the news @ 9 and daylong headlines?

Media, the matter is it's time to mind your manners please!
viju

by raj » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:40 pm

they are like worn out whores,putting paint and sitting to read news.these channels are all owned by andhra people who really do not know about hyderabad and its culture.we pity you channels !
raj

by sindy12 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:42 pm

Are you kidding??? Who do you appeal to??? Noone cares..... and never will :|
sindy12

Previous                

Return to Local Problems/Issues