Saturday, 27 April 2024 »  Login
in

IPL - Festival !?!

Quizzing? Movies? Music? Tech? Cricket? God? Whatever your interests be, there are hundreds of your alter-egos on fullhyd.com - it's a whole city out there!

Moderator: The Moderator Team

IPL - Festival !?!

by ElectricGoat » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:31 am

I’ve been a cricket enthusiast right from childhood, losing interest after going to college simply because the Indian team was not going anywhere and because I missed those Sachin /Sourav opening partnerships. And after the World Cup 2007 I even stopped wasting time on cricket. Later Indian team went on to win T20 World Cup. Happy Happy. And then this genius Lalit Modi came up with IPL.

Not an original idea, but our man was lucky enough to have BCCI backing which the other guy did not have. Starting off well, this Indian Premier League is really huge today after 3 years. It started really well. I was really impressed with the idea but Lalit Modi made it the way it should be. It’s all about money or whatever people say, he has given all of us something, I would like to call it a Festival.

The first year was bigger than expected. I’m saying this because even the film industry which is like the biggest source of entertainment in this country was scared of scarce collections during IPL. This is not really new, used to happen during World Cups I guess, but big movies always used to come out. I can’t really remember many movies. This first year Kamal Hassan’s Dasavatharam, and this year Hrithik Roshan’s Kites. Movies have lost their charm, simply because cinemas have become an expensive affair approx. 600-700 for a couple. And finally cinemas decided to screen IPL after movie makers wanted to take a hiatus, sit back and watch The Festival.

Seriously, there are people who follow their team quite religiously, like me and my friends :S. It’s been really exciting going at each other whenever a team loses or wins. Going to bars because no TV at home, fixing an old TV tuner card and pulling a cable connection for 3 days of IPL. It’s been so nice watching games. Because I never used to watch any match unless India was playing. But I watch all IPL matches, no matter who’s playing. And I want to be there once, in a stadium, supporting my team. Sometime soon.

I read this article somewhere, M.S.Gill, Minister of Sports thrashing IPL badly. He’s like; IPL has made Cricket a business. Shortening of boundaries, making it a once sided game et al. Okay, Whatever, But cricket was always business, BCCI is you know what; they are not a sports body. So what’s new Mr. Gill. Shortening of the boundaries, I have no idea that can be a valid point. But you know it’s all in the game :D . I agree its business and all, but it’s fine as long as the game is not fixed or something. Anyway kudos to Mr.Modi, you have given us something to cheer about during life sucking summers.

Kochi team was pointless though :P

What do you guys think about IPL? What do you think about holding it twice or thrice a year?
I think that will make IPL lose its charm.
ElectricGoat

Re: IPL - Festival !?!

by Portuguese Man-of-War » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:17 pm

Nice post. Actually, even if the IPL is fixed, there is perhaps no logical reason to mind it. A movie is fixed, right? Someone has scripted everything. Still, movies are among the biggest money-makers in the entertainment industry. Some might say it's comparing apples and oranges, but not entirely. Sports and movies are both about making money off people's curiosity for what happens next. Like you said, Lalit Modi created something to help us kill our boredom.
Portuguese Man-of-War

by HH » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:56 pm

"Fix"tival!
* IPL, if once in a while, the people may "fix" with it. Too many, may drive them away to "fix" themselves elsewhere.
# Like films. The First One may click; sequels, duplicates, may flop. A "moralising" film, people may get "fixed" the first time. An "all-in-all" effort, "Written, Directed & Seen By ... " Film may click once ... "Once More", the People will "Fix" and "Flop" It! :wink:
HH
Level 1 Deity
Level 1 Deity

by gomodi » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:39 am

For this year, Lalit Modi's achievement would be that he succeeded in presenting the now ongoing IPL despite the Islamist terrorist threats against the tournament.
gomodi

by HH » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:19 pm

"Gambling", says Dr Mysoora Reddy, TDP Leader.

In 50s, there used to be Wrestling "Matches" among "King Kong", "Dara Singh" &c, all differently "Heavy" ... One wins now, the other wins later. All "Matched" / "Fixed" as they say now!
-----
:shock:
HH
Level 1 Deity
Level 1 Deity

by ElectricGoat » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:32 am

Ya, looks like it is fixed :(
ElectricGoat

Return to Special Interest Groups