Thursday, 28 March 2024 »  Login
in

Life of a PhD student!

Quizzing? Movies? Music? Tech? Cricket? God? Whatever your interests be, there are hundreds of your alter-egos on fullhyd.com - it's a whole city out there!

Moderator: The Moderator Team

Life of a PhD student!

by Aishwarya » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:04 am

I am doing my PhD and it seems to me that I have been doing the same for an eternity now. Time has come to a standstill. I dont have a bank balance, I dont socialize anymore and here I am sitting in a small room with no windows, infront of a linux system 24/7 either browsing net or debugging code, actually mostly browsing net. I dont go to gym, I live on ready to eats, there is a whole eco-system in my room: Basically I have no life! Worse, I have no qualms about it.

Having said so, let me tell you all the great things I get to do. I get free lunch during the seminars, I get lot of time off ( I basically sleep), and I get free food and I get lot of time off! Phew.. Thats a lot. How many get to do that? Sigh.. I guess just me... I am now a veteran in my school. Like a fixture... students come and go, but I am the one who is ALWAYS THERE.. I am always around. Helping others graduate with their Masters or Undergrad degree... That in itself is gratifying...

Yeah, I am in denial right now... I get it...

Anyways.. to know more about grad life... please do find time and visit

http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive.php?comicid=221
Aishwarya

asd

by Pavan » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:59 am

Coool stuff... So what do you do on Linux and what do you debug??? I am also currently debugging stuff and crashing the kernel atleast 20 times a day :-)
Pavan

by KK » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:39 am

get married.
KK

by Aishwarya » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:43 pm

And what makes you think marriage willl solve it all?
Aishwarya

Re: asd

by Aishwarya » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:48 pm

Pavan wrote:Coool stuff... So what do you do on Linux and what do you debug??? I am also currently debugging stuff and crashing the kernel atleast 20 times a day :-)

Well, I run simulations. Now dont get me started on what my research is about... Actually, let me give you an idea. I use computational fluid dynamics to model blood flow in arteries to understand what is it in the flow (like velocity, pressur etc) that causes various diseases like atherosclerosis, that leads to heart attack, or aneurysm, that leads to cerebral haemoerrhage.

U still there or did you doze off? Well the thing is, i like what I am doing because it has direct applications. I wanted to be a doctor but was scared of Biology... now I ended up doing just that :)
Aishwarya

Re: Life of a PhD student!

by Sharjeel » Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:14 pm

Aishwarya wrote:I am doing my PhD and it seems to me that I have been doing the same for an eternity now. Time has come to a standstill. I dont have a bank balance, I dont socialize anymore and here I am sitting in a small room with no windows, infront of a linux system 24/7 either browsing net or debugging code, actually mostly browsing net. I dont go to gym, I live on ready to eats, there is a whole eco-system in my room: Basically I have no life! Worse, I have no qualms about it.

Having said so, let me tell you all the great things I get to do. I get free lunch during the seminars, I get lot of time off ( I basically sleep), and I get free food and I get lot of time off! Phew.. Thats a lot. How many get to do that? Sigh.. I guess just me... I am now a veteran in my school. Like a fixture... students come and go, but I am the one who is ALWAYS THERE.. I am always around. Helping others graduate with their Masters or Undergrad degree... That in itself is gratifying...

Yeah, I am in denial right now... I get it...

Anyways.. to know more about grad life... please do find time and visit

http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive.php?comicid=221
lol...Welcome to the club!

You might want to contact an MBBS student, and you trwo can cry with each other. Have a lot of will-be doctor friends who share your experience.

Me be an Engineer, complete bindasss!
"Consequences, shmonsequences! So long as I'm rich!" - Daffy Duck.
Sharjeel
Level 2 Lord
Level 2 Lord

by Aishwarya » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:58 am

Sharjeel wrote: lol...Welcome to the club!

You might want to contact an MBBS student, and you trwo can cry with each other. Have a lot of will-be doctor friends who share your experience.

Me be an Engineer, complete bindasss!

I am both an engineer as well as a masochist! I did my bachelors in mechanical engineering and now PhD in the same, with some bio stuff sprinkled here and there.... You know what the sad part is, after I am done with my PhD, people will not address me as Dr Aishwarya, baaah :(. It will just be Ms. Aishwarya Ph.D!!!
Aishwarya

asd

by Pavan » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:54 am

But what are you doing with debugging.. that too in Linux. if ur doing medicine..

too complicated.. anyways, good luck with ur stuff :-)
Pavan

by KK » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:14 pm

Aishwarya wrote:And what makes you think marriage willl solve it all?

Sure , the married life is not as much fun as an unmarried one - but when you are not having being alone - mabbe u should consider a change
KK

by Johnny » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:52 pm

Aishwarya is already married. Right Aishu?

:)
Smoking helps to reduce weight, a LUNG at a time.
http://nemesis.fullhydblogs.com
Johnny
Level 1 Star User
Level 1 Star User

by Aishu » Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:56 pm

Johnny wrote:Aishwarya is already married. Right Aishu?

What makes you think so? BTW, I liked your poems.

Wait a minute, this thread is about life of a PhD student. Lets not talk about my personal life.. actually.. research is what I do all the time....
Aishu

by Johnny » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:57 am

Aishu wrote:
Johnny wrote:Aishwarya is already married. Right Aishu?

What makes you think so? BTW, I liked your poems.

Wait a minute, this thread is about life of a PhD student. Lets not talk about my personal life.. actually.. research is what I do all the time....

Thanks Aishu. :)

Btw, read my PM. 8)
Smoking helps to reduce weight, a LUNG at a time.
http://nemesis.fullhydblogs.com
Johnny
Level 1 Star User
Level 1 Star User

by Ustaad » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:16 pm

Aishwarya wrote:Yeah, I am in denial right now... I get it...

Where did you say you live and go to school again?

what you need is a 'Vacation'. Just take a break from the routine. I think you need to get out more often. Try walking on your breaks and go drive somewhere over the weekend or just listen to lots of music.. might help.

or better yet, holla at me.
Prose for hos!

Ustaad

by Aishwarya » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:55 pm

Ustaad wrote:
Where did you say you live and go to school again?

what you need is a 'Vacation'. Just take a break from the routine. I think you need to get out more often. Try walking on your breaks and go drive somewhere over the weekend or just listen to lots of music.. might help.

or better yet, holla at me.

I live in Houston and I go to University of Houston. I just took a vacation actually, and I had a great time too. But I felt much worse getting back to my routine and mundane life again. But thanks for your suggestions. The way things are right now, I dont think there is anything i can do that will allevaite the situation. The only way out is by graduating and I dont know when thats going to happen.

Boo Hoo :(
Aishwarya

Phd

by Vijay » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:09 am

Hi Aishwarya!

A Research is an Individuals Achievement. So just keep on going with your Research and enjoy conducting it. Only then you will find your research interesting. Goodluck with everything.

@Vijay.
Vijay

Re: Phd

by Aishwarya » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:02 am

Vijay wrote:Hi Aishwarya!

A Research is an Individuals Achievement. So just keep on going with your Research and enjoy conducting it. Only then you will find your research interesting. Goodluck with everything.

@Vijay.

OHK! Vijay, you know what a 3 No Trump call call is in bridge? It is also called the SHUT UP call. Which means that after your partner has said 3NT you dont go beyond that. And that is what you just did to me! I have nothing more to add to what you just said.

I am sure you are not into research, otherwise you would never say something like that.... You are yet to learn the art of procrastination !!!
Aishwarya

by Aishwarya » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:04 am

DEAR MOD,

WHY IS MY THREAD IN NRI's??

Aishu
Aishwarya

by Yeda HP » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:29 am

Aishwarya wrote:DEAR MOD,

Aishu

Simbul....bhecaaz...you're in yoostunn...and yoostunnites are yen aar yais.

Dayumm....i yum st...honed
In un foro nella terra, viva un hobbit
Yeda HP
Level 1 Lord
Level 1 Lord

Life of Phd

by Vijay » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:28 am

Come onnnnnnnn Ash!

You are already into it! So you got to finish it up by any means. The only way you can do it is by enjoying it, and not in regretting for doing it. Coming to me I have done my Masters in Sweden which was totally research oriented and I know everything about it, reading the articles, criticising, acting like an opponent, thinking independently, lonely life, seminars, presentations etc etc. From my experience I felt the only way to come to an end is by enjoying it. I was almost into my Phd, I was even invited for a position in Phd, but in the last moment I felt it was not matching with my personal dreams. So I left it out. I can imagine the life of a Phd with my close observations, at the same time you should have a passion to conduct research and also to teach youngsters. You have to make a quality decision before entering into that field as I did to opt out because its not matching with my personal dreams. The rest should do...............Goodluck anyways!

@Vijay
Vijay

Life of a Phd

by Vijay » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:34 pm

Hi Again!

Iam talking about how to complete a Phd. After completing the Phd its upto you to decide what to do next. The quality of happiness obtained after achieving a Phd is different to an ordinary degrees from my observations. If anyone want to enjoy learning new things all the time then Phd research is the right choice. Goodluck anyways thats all I have to say.

@Vijay.......
Vijay

by fullhyd.com » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:37 pm

Aishu

Dear Aishwarya:

You appear to have created it here - nobody at fullhyd.com appears have shifted this thread from anywhere to here. Please revert for any further queries, and we will be glad to help :).

Regards,

fullhyd.com
Last edited by kishore on Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fullhyd.com

by Aishwarya » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:32 am

fullhyd.com wrote:

Aishu

Dear Aishwarya:

You appear to have created it here - nobody at fullhyd.com appears have shifted this thread from anywhere to here. Please revert for any further queries, and we will be glad to help :).

Regards,
fullhyd.com

Hey Moddie,

ummmm, is there any way that this thread can be shifted to the appropriate folder?

Thank you so much,

Aishu

P.S. Actually, nothing.
Aishwarya

Re: Life of a Phd

by Aishwarya » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:37 am

Vijay wrote:Hi Again!

Iam talking about how to complete a Phd. After completing the Phd its upto you to decide what to do next. The quality of happiness obtained after achieving a Phd is different to an ordinary degrees from my observations. If anyone want to enjoy learning new things all the time then Phd research is the right choice. Goodluck anyways thats all I have to say.

@Vijay.......

Sorry, vijay... I didnt mean to get you this emotional... Honestly, I really do enjoy what I am doing. No two ways about that. Infact I am really passionate about it and ofcourse I will finish my PhD unless, ofcourse, something more passionate comes my way ;)

Anyways.. You did your masters from Sweden. Which university? Scandinavians are beautiful ... You are very lucky!
Aishwarya

Life of a PhD students sucks!

by Aishwarya » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:29 am

My life sucks. You know, i spent first two years of my life writing codes and running simulations. I would work 95hrs/week... It was sad... But I had something to crib about... That my prof was making me work big time... Now... ever since I got these reults, my Prof more or less is milking on them. So for past 8 months all I have been doing is writing papers and proposals... Yechchchchchchchcy... Thats the worst part of research...

I miss my linux system. It has CPU that extends till the ceiling and a Nokia monitor (yeah Nokia used to mkae monitors too!!)... and key board is now yellow (once was white) and dusty!!! BTW, today I spent most of my time browsing net and ofcourse there was this seminar where we got Donuts. Desis usually eat most of the donuts. Today one of the guys actually set a record, he ate six donuts!!! He was desperate...Point being that I really dont know what I am doing in a room with no windows.

There are other salient features of my room, half filled coke cans, 3 months old banana peel and an aple to give it company, and post-its all over the place... Oh yeah, there are pennies too. . Janitor refuses to clean my room. She was kind enough to suggest that the room be demolished and rebuit... That according to her requires lesser effort... I dont like her...

My room has no windows... I guess I told you that already... My friend is moving out... Can it get any worse... Ofcourse yes (you are so naive), my room-mate is brnging in a married couple, who will be living with us for a month :(

Sigh.... Life... no matter what happens, it always sucks.
Aishwarya

by sp » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:57 am

whiner

no, seriously you should check out books on religion from your university library, do a little readup on world religions and come to talk about them here

life will be much FUNNER then
sp

Next         

Return to Special Interest Groups